Beware of unsafe pacifier

xlan

just read about this news from a HK newspaper portal, thought of sharing it over here.. so all daddy n mommy could be aware of it..

[from: 頭條日報]

一款嬰兒奶咀含可致癌化學物
2010-03-30 (19:34)
海關今日呼籲市民,尤其家長,切勿讓嬰兒吸啜一款不安全的嬰兒安撫奶咀。

海 關早前在市面巡查兒童產品,把嬰兒安撫奶咀送交政府化驗所作安全測試後,發現其中一款嬰兒安撫奶咀含有N-亞硝基嗎磙(N- nitrosomorpholine),其含量為每千克含81微克,較法例所訂安全標準可容許的每千克含10微克,達8.1倍。此外,該款安撫奶咀亦未附 有規定的警告語,即「不要將安撫奶咀繫於孩童頸上,以免導致窒息危險」。

根據衛生署意見,N-亞硝基嗎磙被國際癌症機構 界定為可能導致人類癌症的化學物。

海關現正採取跟進行動,至目前為止已從市面一間供應商及其四間零售商鋪檢獲共43件有 關產品,並根據《玩具及兒童產品安全條例》向該供應商發出禁制通知書,禁止出售該款不安全的嬰兒安撫奶咀;該供應商亦會進行產品自願回收行動。海關調查工 作仍在進行。

allycat

Hmmmm, wondering if there's any safety standards that the distributors have to follow before bering the baby products into Singapore...

apollo

though ds has weaned off paci, but still thks for the info..

i saw this type of paci b4, but dunno if is the same brand. last time when ds was still sucking paci, i tot of buying but my hubby insisted on sticking to NUK brand.

xlan

can anyone translate?
found this in English :
(from http://www.news.gov.hk/en/category/healthandcommunity/100330/html/100330en05011.htm)

Unsafe baby pacifiers banned
30-03-2010

The Customs & Excise Department has banned the sale of a type of baby pacifier which contained excessive N-nitrosomorpholine - a substance which is possibly cancer-causing in humans.

Customs officers recently conducted spot checks on children's products and found the pacifiers unsafe. They also failed to meet a warning requirement on their packaging.

A total of 43 baby pacifiers have so far been seized from a supplier and its four retail outlets. The supplier will also conduct a voluntary recall of the products. Investigations are underway.

Last edited:

tinkerball

found this in English :

Unsafe baby pacifiers seized

30-03-2010

The authorities say a type of baby pacifier available in Hong Kong has been found to contain eight times the permitted level of a suspected cancer-causing substance. It also failed to carry a label to warn that the product may pose a strangulation danger if tied around a child's neck.
The problems were found during a recent spot check on children's products.

The Customs and Excise Department has seized a quantity of the product from a supplier and its four retail outlets.
really alarmed to read that. thanks for the info:001_302:

aahdorr

wah i jus saw this !! i have this pacifier at home!@!! which my hubby brought saying it drop will close .. but lucky my ger dun like cuz alway close cant suck den i put it in the drawer le .. phew !! tom n step got sell !!