BF and planning for #2

Orange17

Hi

Like to check if there are any mums out there continue to bf when they were pregnant?

My son jus turned 11 months and I am planning for #2 but my gynae asked me to wean off before I shld get pregnant. I enjoy nursing my son, very reluctant to stop nursing him. But again, do not want to continue nursing at the expense of my #2's health. I'm so lost!

I know there are some mums tandem, does that mean you continue bf when pregnant?

Furthermore, my supply dipped after my menses returned. Thank God my son already started solid if not my supply sure not enough for him.

Tried introduce him formula two days ago but he rejected it. I thought of giving him formula for the last feed so as to help him to sleep thru cos I heard is no good for the baby if they keep waking at night, not sure if this is true, kind of worried cos he still wakes up 2 - 3 times for milk.

Appreciate if you can share your experience/give me your advise.

Thank you!

jopeck

BMSG Moderator
I have breastfed through two pregnancies. My DS1 didn't take to fm at all! To this day, he still doesn't.

As long as your period has returned, you can still conceive. As for bfg during pregnancy.. well, if you can make love to your hubby.. you can breastfeed.. very similar hormones produced with similar contractions of the uterine wall resulting.

BM supply usually does dip the week before your period but should return to normal thereafter if you continue to feed on demand :) isn't our bodies great?

like i said earlier.. ds1 never ever took fm.. dd took fm at about 18mths cos MIL intro'd it and she had self weaned cos i got preggy again. ds2 took fm cos he kaypoh follow his jie jie.. sigh.. he's still being bfd now.

Orange17

I have breastfed through two pregnancies. My DS1 didn't take to fm at all! To this day, he still doesn't.

As long as your period has returned, you can still conceive. As for bfg during pregnancy.. well, if you can make love to your hubby.. you can breastfeed.. very similar hormones produced with similar contractions of the uterine wall resulting.

BM supply usually does dip the week before your period but should return to normal thereafter if you continue to feed on demand :) isn't our bodies great?

like i said earlier.. ds1 never ever took fm.. dd took fm at about 18mths cos MIL intro'd it and she had self weaned cos i got preggy again. ds2 took fm cos he kaypoh follow his jie jie.. sigh.. he's still being bfd now.

Thanks for sharing your experience, really helpful. I should more likely continue bf.

By the way, my gynae also mentioned that if I continue to bf, the nutrients will be robbed by my #1, meaning the baby in my womb will not be that healthy. Is it true? How about your baby?

I have also read from some website that baby will self wean when mummy is pregnant cos the taste of the bm changes. I guess you are ok since you bf throughout yr pregnancy.

Actually I had some bleeding during my first trimester for my first pregnancy, hopefully second one will be ok, and bf will not affect at all.

Oh and also does your babies still wakes up at night for milk or they will sleep thru?

Thank you

jopeck

BMSG Moderator
some babies self wean... my dd did at 13 mths. Some babies don't... my ds1 lasted through two pregnancies! so it really depends on your nursling (how much he/she *needs* bm) and you (how much you can tolerate... its *not* comfortable!)

With regards to nutrients.. here's the breakdown as I understand it.
#1 your baby
#2 your nursling
#3 YOU

so, if you don't pay attention to what you eat... the one who suffers most is YOU! The body will *always* protect the fetus to the best of its ability... up to the point of possible taking calcium and other stuff from mummy's body. Given that we don't live in a 3rd world country, I seriously doubt the issue of malnutrition will raise its ugly head. So just make sure you eat well balanced nutritious meals and things will sort themselves out.

My dh and I decided early on that we would nite wean our babies at about the 12mth mark.. so no, I don't have nite feeds any longer... especially since my last nursling has just turned 3! :)

elaine01

I've co-slept with DS right after CL left & still doing so to date.

DS will wake up 1~2x to suckle for comfort, just a few seconds & he'll go back to dreamland again. When he's not well, will be more frequent. He's coming to 3 this Dec.

According to my mentor, as long as baby is nursing no more than 6 times every 24 hours, is taking semi-solids apart from BM & your mense has returned, your chances of conceiving is like any other women out there.

I'm also trying to conceive, but let nature take it's course.

Let's jia you!:Dancing_wub:

Velvenie

I'm also planning for 2nd bb but scared cant feed ds anymore. My mil's friend told her tat her daughter dont listen to doctor advice while preggy. Doc ask her not to bf but she still continue to feed, then a month later she miscarriage.:nah: So sad...

My ds still like to wake up at night time to suck for comfort. Last time he will sleep thru but these few months he used to wake up to suck for comfort.:001_302: What should i do to stop him waking up at night as i heard that is not good for baby health if he keep wake up at nite.

elaine01

I'm also planning for 2nd bb but scared cant feed ds anymore. My mil's friend told her tat her daughter dont listen to doctor advice while preggy. Doc ask her not to bf but she still continue to feed, then a month later she miscarriage.:nah: So sad...

My ds still like to wake up at night time to suck for comfort. Last time he will sleep thru but these few months he used to wake up to suck for comfort.:001_302: What should i do to stop him waking up at night as i heard that is not good for baby health if he keep wake up at nite.
Approach a breastfeeding friendly gynae. He'll let you know should bfg is causing any complications to your pregnancy & advise appropriately.

Orange17

I heard it's better for baby to sleep thru, i'm very concerned cos my son still wakes up at least 2 times for milk. I heard to give him formula for last feed so that can help him sleep thru. I'm still struggling now to introduce him formula, he has always been on bf. I'm very reluctant to stop nursing him especially now i only latch him on at night, but if it's better for him, i guess i've to do it.

Orange17

Approach a breastfeeding friendly gynae. He'll let you know should bfg is causing any complications to your pregnancy & advise appropriately.
How do we know if the gynae is breastfeeding friendly? Mayb mine is not, cos he asked me to wean off before i plan for #2.

Orange17

I've co-slept with DS right after CL left & still doing so to date.

DS will wake up 1~2x to suckle for comfort, just a few seconds & he'll go back to dreamland again. When he's not well, will be more frequent. He's coming to 3 this Dec.

According to my mentor, as long as baby is nursing no more than 6 times every 24 hours, is taking semi-solids apart from BM & your mense has returned, your chances of conceiving is like any other women out there.

I'm also trying to conceive, but let nature take it's course.

Let's jia you!:Dancing_wub:
does expressing milk also count? I express abt 4 times daily and latch him on abt 3 - 4 times (which abt 2 times is more for comfort)

Orange17

some babies self wean... my dd did at 13 mths. Some babies don't... my ds1 lasted through two pregnancies! so it really depends on your nursling (how much he/she *needs* bm) and you (how much you can tolerate... its *not* comfortable!)

With regards to nutrients.. here's the breakdown as I understand it.
#1 your baby
#2 your nursling
#3 YOU

so, if you don't pay attention to what you eat... the one who suffers most is YOU! The body will *always* protect the fetus to the best of its ability... up to the point of possible taking calcium and other stuff from mummy's body. Given that we don't live in a 3rd world country, I seriously doubt the issue of malnutrition will raise its ugly head. So just make sure you eat well balanced nutritious meals and things will sort themselves out.

My dh and I decided early on that we would nite wean our babies at about the 12mth mark.. so no, I don't have nite feeds any longer... especially since my last nursling has just turned 3! :)
I really hope my ds will self wean, at least i dun feel so bad. you mentioned *not* comfortable, what do you mean by that? position, emotion etc?

elaine01

Hi Elaine

How abt our my earlier question on the number of times expressing/nursing that will affect my chance of conceiving?

Thanks
according to my mentor(as I'm also trying to conceive #2 since i'm still bfg), as long as your mense return, your child is taking semi-solids & frequency of milk removal is no more than 6 times over 24 hours, your chances of conceiving is just like pre-pregnancy.

Orange17

according to my mentor(as I'm also trying to conceive #2 since i'm still bfg), as long as your mense return, your child is taking semi-solids & frequency of milk removal is no more than 6 times over 24 hours, your chances of conceiving is just like pre-pregnancy.
ok, thanks. Jia you. let's hope to hear good news from each other soon