Bf directly or pump out

Shiawase

as long as gynae says the baby is doing well, ignore what others comment on your baby... my baby is not chubby either! its due to genes more than anything else... my fren's baby is super chubby and she is on bm... does not matter as long as baby is healthy!

lyra

I took very very very long to finish one bf session with my newborn coz he's so sleepy. Feed 5 min, sleep 10min, feed 10min, sleep 5 min so in the end, he took more than 1 hr to finish one session! Then second feeding will begin very soon after my short rest. Super exhausted! But looking back, its worth it! Haha.

I've got same problem as yours previously. I stayed with in laws during confinement as my new flat was under renovation. Moved out (very gladly!) asap after confinement. Hubby's aunt and mil kept opening door when I was breastfeeding. I thought they should respect people's privacy but they are used to open door without knocking or informing people inside. Once, the aunty opened the door while I was undressed! Omg! I was so pissed, I removed the keys from the door knob (they left the keys there so that if I lock, they still can open) and I kept it somewhere where nobody knows. I locked door every time I bf, and I ignored all knockings when I'm breast-feeding. If hubby is in the room with me, he'll go out and tell them not to disturb. After awhile, they left me alone. Basically, they just want to knock to show their concern and to know why baby was crying. Breastfeeding is an uphill task at first and my baby cried a lot especially in the evening but that doesn't mean he didn't like my nipple or didn't like breast milk. Bf is just like that in the very beginning. Lucky my mil's temper is milder and easier to talk to even though she too will insist on her own ideas at times. Communication is very important. Some people think its better to maintain good relationship and be nice and accept mil's ideas, but I took this chance to talk a lot to her and educate her about breastfeed, and risk having her finding me naggy and stubborn. Now she tells her friends breastfeeding is good. Isn't that better?

Just finished bf my baby. She seems to fuss alot while bf-ing. She will "spit out" the nipple and then get frustrated cos she cant find where to suckle, and when i try to put her in the right direction, she will take some time before she can recognize and continue sucking. Anyone has any idea why?

Getting abit frustrated with my mil. Every time i bf my baby, she will come and knock on my door. Just now, she seems not very happy, even mentioned why is there a need for me to bf for so long, when I came out with baby. I bf for about an hour. Cos baby seems not full as she keeps crying. Sianzzz...I appreciate her help during confinement, but sometimes she also gets on my nerve by insisting on her way of doing things/ her ideas.

I am wondering, how long do you all take to bf?

Rukia

Hi Rukia,I reckon u are staying with ur MIL...Are you on good relationship with her?You may want to tell her that you are bf and will appreciate that she doesnt disturb you until u are done.Or you may tell her that you want to sleep with your BB so need some private time with her.
Othewise hang a Do NoT Disturb Signage on the door.
My r/s w my mil quite ok. I did tell her immediately previously when she knocked on the door.

Rukia

Thanks for the v informative post.

Do you pump out or latch baby directly?

I am trying very hard to bf baby but hubby not very supportive. Cos baby always cry within an hr or two compared to using formula milk (~4h). As i latch baby directly, i have no idea hw much baby has drunk. He will kick up a fuss cos he says baby is not full.

He thinks fm is better cos alot vit and minerals.

I thought of keeping my ebm in the fridge but its all full of uncooked food stored by my mother in law. Even the small space i set aside previously has been taken up :(

Sorry for ranting here but i am trying so hard to bf but no support. Feel like giving up.

Now at day 12, i tried a few times to pump out. Sometimes can get 30-70ml. Is it too little? What can i do?
Rukia,

The amount of milk expressed can vary significantly from woman to woman. One woman might regularly express eight or more ounces at a time, while another might only get an ounce or two. These women can both have babies that are absolutely thriving on their milk. The woman who expresses the larger amount of milk may find it easier to let-down when pumping, or she may be a larger milk producer. The woman expressing smaller amounts may have a quite adequate or even abundant milk supply. Or she may just not be as comfortable expressing her milk. Perhaps her breasts produce less milk than the other woman (and her baby just nurses more frequently.) There are wide variations in what is considered to be normal.

I do think the amount of milk you're able to express fall within the normal range.

Breastmilk is always FAR BETTER than formula, at any stage. Yes, the breastmilk composition will change, to suit the needs of a growing child, but this is also one of the amazing things about breast milk is that your milk is specially formulated to have the right composition for your baby, and to contain exactly the right amounts of nutrients.

Bottle-fed babies receive the exact same nutrients every time they eat. Breast milk, on the other hand, continually changes in composition so that your baby gets what he or she needs at any age. So a formula company may claim that their milk is "fortifed" with certain nutrients but this is just a "make-believe" by the formula companies. And sad to say, some healthcare providers are also led into believing that.

Let's put it this way: Breast milk contains more than 100 ingredients that the formula industry simply can't duplicate. For example, breast milk is full of antibodies that protect babies from illness and help them develop their own immune systems. Some other key differences between the ingredients in breast milk and formula include the following:

Formula has a higher protein content than human milk. This may seem attractive BUT the protein in breast milk is more easily and completely digested by babies.

Breast milk has a higher carbohydrate content than formula and has large amounts of lactose, a sugar found in lower amounts in cow's milk. Research shows that animals whose milk contains higher amounts of lactose experience larger brain development.

Minerals such as iron are present in lower quantities in breast milk than in formula. However, the minerals in breast milk are more completely absorbed by the baby. In formula-fed babies, the unabsorbed portions of minerals can change the balance of bacteria in the gut, which gives harmful bacteria a chance to grow. This is one reason why bottle-fed babies generally have harder and more odorous stools than breastfed babies.

Formula and breast milk look very different; formula seems creamier and looks richer than breast milk. This may lead you to believe that formula is more nutritious for your baby, but that's not the case. Formula is not even HALF AS CLOSE to breast milk, but it has been perceived that it is the next best alternative to breast milk.

The more milk you remove from the breasts through breastfeeding or milk expression the more milk you will make. This is the concept of supply and demand. Most women find that 8-12 breastfeedings in a 24-hour period usually produce an ample supply of milk.5 However, when you delay or skip breastfeedings or limit the length of breastfeedings you often make less milk.

Some babies breastfeed often enough (8-12 times a day) and long enough (10-20 minutes) but gain little weight. Most often the cause is ineffective breastfeeding due to poor positioning. Correct positioning of the baby on the breast is the key to milk removal. When your baby is positioned well his:

head and chest should face the breast,
nose, cheeks, and chin should touch the breast,
mouth should open wide like a yawn, and
lips should turn out like a fish!

Know the Signs of Milk Removal
If you know the signs of milk removal, you can be sure that your baby is getting enough to eat? look and listen. Listen for suckling and swallowing. Look for wet and soiled diapers. Remember, nothing comes out the bottom unless something goes in the top! A baby that is well-fed:

suckles and swallows while breastfeeding.
has at least 3 stools and 3 wet diapers a day during the first 3 days and at least 4 stools and 6 wet diapers a day during the next 4 weeks.
loses less than 7% of his birth weight the first 5-7 days.
is back to his birth weight by 14 days.
gains 4-8 ounces a week after the first week.
is active and alert between breastfeedings.
is content after breastfeedings.

Watch Your Baby Not the Clock
Every baby is different! Some babies will breastfeed every 2-3 hours, while others will breastfeed every hour for 3-5 feedings then sleep for 3-4 hours. Some babies will breastfeed 10-15 minutes on each breast, some will breastfeed 30-45 minutes on each breast, and others will breastfeed 15-30 minutes on one breast only.

During the first 4 weeks, if your baby does not wake to eat at least 8-12 times in 24 hours, you will need to watch for early signs of hunger or light sleep such as wiggling, finger-sucking, lip-smacking, coughing, or yawning and offer the breast at those times.

Breastfeed as long as the baby wishes on the first breast before offering the second breast. Watch your baby, not the clock. When the baby stops suckling and swallowing or falls asleep at the first breast, break the suction, burp him, wake him, and offer the second breast. If the baby breastfeeds poorly on the first breast and shows no sign of suckling and swallowing offer the first breast again. Make sure your baby breastfeeds well on the first breast before you offer the second breast.

Offer both breasts at every feeding but do not be concerned if the baby seems satisfied with one breast. Each breast can provide a full meal! If necessary, hand express or pump the second breast to relieve the fullness. Avoid water or formula supplements during the first 4 weeks. Supplements can confuse your baby?s suckling pattern and limit your breastmilk production.

Last but not least, take care of yourself and your baby! Drink to satisfy your thirst. Eat a healthy diet. Get plenty of rest. Nap when the baby naps. Should problems occur, get help from someone you trust (doctor, nurse, or lactation consultant).

While breastfeeding may not seem the right choice for every parent, it is the best choice for every baby.

Is my baby getting enough
Breastfeeding mothers frequently ask how to know their babies are getting enough milk. The breast is not the bottle, and it is not possible to hold the breast up to the light to see how many ounces or millilitres of milk the baby drank. Our number obsessed society makes it difficult for some mothers to accept not seeing exactly how much milk the baby receives. However, there are ways of knowing that the baby is getting enough. In the long run, weight gain is the best indication whether the baby is getting enough, but rules about weight gain appropriate for bottle fed babies may not be appropriate for breastfed babies.

SLing75

Hi everyone, it's really informative reading all your posts here... Thanks for the sharing. Just need some reassurance here, does that mean that it's ok and perfectly normal to latch baby for 1hour or more and then in like less than 2 hours time, it's feeding time again.. I'm really having sore nipples with this long hour feeding.... and feeling quite discourage (thinking that is it because not enough supply that's why baby suckle so long).. many a times, his suckling is light fluttering type.. does that mean that baby is actually not drinking? Would love to hear from the experienced mum out there...

disheartened mum~

ast0212

SLing75:657531 said:
Hi everyone, it's really informative reading all your posts here... Thanks for the sharing. Just need some reassurance here, does that mean that it's ok and perfectly normal to latch baby for 1hour or more and then in like less than 2 hours time, it's feeding time again.. I'm really having sore nipples with this long hour feeding.... and feeling quite discourage (thinking that is it because not enough supply that's why baby suckle so long).. many a times, his suckling is light fluttering type.. does that mean that baby is actually not drinking? Would love to hear from the experienced mum out there...

disheartened mum~
Yes it's normal :) sounds like your baby is getting more than just milk - mummy's comfort too! Since breast is also the best way to comfort and soothe babies and that's where some babies like to be all day long. Enjoy while it lasts :) oh, and you are definitely getting lots of nipple simulation which in turn makes more milk!

lsy

I totally agree with latching until baby unlatch by themselves. Don't understand why TMC baby care class actually recommend 15mins each side. Maybe that's a guideline for newborn in their first week.
I would advise bf to be on demand for 1-2 months and gradually move on to scheduled feed by 3 months. Day time pump and bottle feed and night time latch plus pump.
This is to prepare baby to be taken care by others when u return to work.
Also avoid bottle rejection.
Buy ur dedicated storage and stock up as much as possible. Hormone will change as month passes.Certain days ur body will play trick that u could hardly pump out 1 day supply.
Oh instead of hang DND maybe hang a "I'm breastfeeding do not enter" sounds more polite to MIL.
Do not mix bm with fm. It will be wasted if baby could not finish whole feed.

mswong

I am always struggling with nursing my baby directly or pump out better? I think I do no have enough breast milk for my baby. He drinks 5 ounces every 3~4 hours but I only can pump out 3 ounces every 3 hours. When I latch him on (15 mins each breast), the other breast is leaking. I feel wasteful. After nursing both breasts, he will ask for milk after 1 or 2 hours. Then I will be nursing him whole day. I have low supply already and I would like to nurse him more but it is tiring and he could not get enough milk at one time. I wonder if I should just pump out and collect milk for him then feed him at once.
I have also tried to let him latch until he is satisfied, it could take up to 1 hour on one breast! He was not sucking my breast all the time while latching. Very confused.

felicity

i was wondering... is it ok to let bb latch on one while pump the other one in such cases like if it's leaking? then won't waste right? each time bb feed will need both sides or one side only? paiseh i v clueless n i'm v keen to know also as soon it'll be my turn!

mswong

Sometimes i do pump the other side while nursing my baby. I don't feel that comfortable as i have to hold baby and breast pump at the same time.

milkshake

I am always struggling with nursing my baby directly or pump out better? I think I do no have enough breast milk for my baby. He drinks 5 ounces every 3~4 hours but I only can pump out 3 ounces every 3 hours. When I latch him on (15 mins each breast), the other breast is leaking. I feel wasteful. After nursing both breasts, he will ask for milk after 1 or 2 hours. Then I will be nursing him whole day. I have low supply already and I would like to nurse him more but it is tiring and he could not get enough milk at one time. I wonder if I should just pump out and collect milk for him then feed him at once.
I have also tried to let him latch until he is satisfied, it could take up to 1 hour on one breast! He was not sucking my breast all the time while latching. Very confused.
Try collection shells. It helps you collect leaky milk while u let baby latch the other side.

I normally pump one side while baby latches if breast is full (saves time). You can always angle your pump so that it makes pumping more comfortable for you

mswong

Try collection shells. It helps you collect leaky milk while u let baby latch the other side.

I normally pump one side while baby latches if breast is full (saves time). You can always angle your pump so that it makes pumping more comfortable for you
Dear, which collection shells would you recommend? I think I should try it.

xiaodaisy

i was wondering... is it ok to let bb latch on one while pump the other one in such cases like if it's leaking? then won't waste right? each time bb feed will need both sides or one side only? paiseh i v clueless n i'm v keen to know also as soon it'll be my turn!
its ok to do that so u wont waste another side of bm but for me , i'm too lazy , i always donate the bm to my breast pad LOL !!