BFing and working after being SAHM

cmeilim

for us, bottle-feeding of EBM is always done by either my mum or hubby, never by me, so that our boy learns to associate mummy with BM and direct latch. we introduced the bottle to ian when he was more than 3 months old. so far, EBM is by bottle only. we just started him on training cup with spout for water-drinking.

diymummy

Yes yes... sorry diymummy - i iddn't specify correctly. My frozen supply 1feed/day is for reserve. I'll still continue to pump today for tomorrow's feed - so the frozen supply is consider "extra" for now. So for yrself, pls advice how do you do it?
Hi woofy,

For that 2 weeks (or maybe 3? Can't remember) before going back to work, I would pump after every feed. And at night, I would feed the accumulated feed (EBM) over the day and then pump out to store. So that last pump was my reserve. So that made up to 14 or 20 packs by the time I returned to work.

Actually before that 2 weeks, I was pumping out every morning after my feed (only once a day) coz my son always cannot empty my breasts early in the morning (he's always so sleepy in the morning)... So I had slightly more to last me through.

Then I started work, I pumped 4 times a day in my company toilet (so sad right) and brought all 4 packs to my son's infant care to feed him the next day. At night I would either latch or use the reserves.

After being strapped for time, I started to pump less when back at work. My reserves only lasted a month after my supply started to dip. Not to mention that I started to fall ill quite often due to the tiredness and stress. So for almost abt a month, I had to pump and throw away my milk because I was on antibiotics.

Anyway, that's just my experience and story. I'm sure you can last as long as you want to just like how cmeilin and other mummies did :) But don't beat yourself up over it if you can't last out a year. As long as you are trying your best, it is ok. Louis will know it ;)

camom

I started pumping approx 3 wks to 1 mth before I went back to work. Bcos 1 breast per session was sufficient for bb, I pumped from the other side each time to store. I managed to accumulate more than 70 packets of ebm during this time. What I did in the last 2 wks before I went back to work was to send bb to caregiver - my mom at the time he is supposed to be there, so that he gets used to the routine. Initially I stayed with him for 1/2 day, then leave in the afternoon for my own home to get him used to another caregiver besides myself. Then from 4th day onwards, I sent him there and left immediately, only going back to mom's place at 4+pm. Mid week of the 2nd wk, I sent him there and left, only going back at the usual time I will knock off and reach my mom's place. During these 2 weeks, he was on ebm during the day and latched on in the early mornings n nights. On Mondays, he will drink frozen ebm. All Fri pumps will be frozen. When I actually started going back to work, he was on 1 frozen ebm feed per day and chilled ebm for the rest. That way I rotated my stash to make sure nothing is kept too long.

I only pump 3 times in the office - morning, noon and late afternoon. I dropped the night pump approx 2 mths after I went back to work.

Last edited:

cmeilim

like camom, our family also did a two-week rehearsal of the new weekday routine. i went from 'disappearing' from my mum's place for 2h, to increasing no of hours of 'disappearance' over two weeks. my friend, who had three children, advised me to do this. it's important for babies to be assured and know that while they are taken care of by another caregiver for some time, mummy will always come back for them.

woofy55

tks diymummy and camom for sharing your experience. apparently, i am requested to go back to office abt 2wks earlier. Now I kan cheong liao! Ops! But will try my best to give him breastmilk as long as possible.

meiteoh

I just broke out my breast pump and so will pump out after every feed to stimulate more milk production. Question is how to I store the subsequent EBM after the first feed? Chill the first feed in the fridge and then add the rest into the same bottle?

diymummy

Sorry, don't really understand.. You mean you're intending to mix the EBM?

I suggest you cool the newly pumped EBM to the EBM that's stored in the fridge before mixing together

Mama Ilhan

- Skip the bottle and consider going straight to open cup. More hygienic than straws, spouts and teats, replacement hardly needed, flow is up to baby, no need to wean off bottle
My boy uses Medela Cup Feeder and Combi Step 4 Mug (reviewed at cups |) Now, he can drink from any open cup or bowl with assistance, very convenient.
Hi MieVee,

How old is your baby now? im also looking for a suitable cup for my son who is 7 months - not advisaable to use sippy cup ccording to the speech therapist.

cmeilim

Hi MieVee,

How old is your baby now? im also looking for a suitable cup for my son who is 7 months - not advisaable to use sippy cup ccording to the speech therapist.

hi mama ilhan, why is it not advisable to do so? how will using a sippy cup inhibit speech development?

Mama Ilhan

Hi cmeilim,

She mentioned that it will cause some speech articulation delay . .i have yet to ask her for some research journals and articles on it.

cmeilim

Hi cmeilim,

She mentioned that it will cause some speech articulation delay . .i have yet to ask her for some research journals and articles on it.

Tks for the info. Hmm....this is new to me. Will try to do some online research. =)

allycat

I've justed started to stockpile and only have 240ml in the freezer. Must work harder to pump pump :p

meiteoh

I've just started pumping today - after every feed (Eva will latch onto both boobs), I'll pump for about 10-15 minutes. Each time, I manage about 10 ml. It's not much but I'm hoping it'll increase after my menses is over (Aunty Flow just arrived yesterday) and as I continue on. I'm also planning to pump out the 1130pm feed on an alternate basis since Eva sleeps through the night and my hubby brought it up as well ("Does she need a night feed since she's sleeping through?"). Am keeping my fingers crossed.