Breast Feeding Help!

jiajia

Dear mummy, anyone of you try the GNC brand Fenugreek? How many capsule you took and how many days the milk supply will really come...
I need to get my milk supply soon, if not baby will never get enough......Help!

STmummy

I took GNC fenugreek for my 1st baby. Had low supply in the beginning as well. Cant really remember the limit per day (I think is 8 tablets, but you need to double confirm on this). So will take about 4 capsules after each meal. Have to take more fluids, have enough rest as well. Once you see your supply getting stable (prob a few months), then will be able to meet your baby's demand. Managed to have enough to meet my son's demand and able to total breastfeed him for 13 months. :tlaugh:

jiajia

oh got to wait for so long? currently i can't give my gal tbf, as she got very high jandice and my milk supply is very low, so go to give her fm. i was think to pump out every 3 hourly then give her as i need to monitor her intake. got to wait for so long then the milk comes in then chiam liao.....:(

STmummy

It's not wait for the milk to come in, but the supply to be stable. Now you already have BM, just that it's still low. My baby also had very high jaundice when he was infant too. So have to pump out and bring to hospital for him, but at the same time the nurses will still feed him FM if not enough. You just have to constantly pump out every 3 hours, but if your baby is at home with you, should be able to latch baby on.

jiajia

she is back with me now, however, i don think i could latch her on yet, cos can't tell how much she is drinking. Need to give her at least 70-90ml milk 3 hourly which i think i dont have yet. I pump out only manage to get 30ml from both breast after taking the fenugreek the first time yesterday. i don know if i had enough food, cos i only eat rice a meal a day the rest is noodles for lunch, milo for breakfast. maybe also i dun rest well.......sigh......every 2-3 hour got to wake up at nite, afternoon elder son sure disturb me when i sleep.....sigh.....i'm afraid i just lost my milk supply....

adaddy

she is back with me now, however, i dont think i could latch her on yet, cos can't tell how much she is drinking. Need to give her at least 70-90ml milk 3 hourly which i think i dont have yet. I pump out only manage to get 30ml from both breast after taking the fenugreek the first time yesterday. i dont know if i had enough food, cos i only eat rice a meal a day the rest is noodles for lunch, milo for breakfast. maybe also i dont rest well.......sigh......every 2-3 hour got to wake up at nite, afternoon elder son sure disturb me when i sleep.....sigh.....i'm afraid i just lost my milk supply....

BF is about the demand and supply, when there is a demand, then the supply will produce to meet the demand (that's what I knew from my 1st baby PD).

there is a vegetables, called 马尼菜 (mani cye) / Sauropus_androgynus (Sauropus androgynus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
I think this would be better as it is more natural in a way..

My wife took this veg and cook them together with soup.
In traditional wet market, you can find it, but most (what I heard) you can get this easily from geyang serai wet market, or sheng siong also

what I found in JE wet market, it is only 1 stall selling this veg

STmummy

I know what you mean by needing to monitor the milk intake. what you can do is prob latch her on to help increase the supply, then give her EBM or FM (if not enough EBM) to top up. prob just 20-30ml to start off to try if she still can take. I had to do the same with my son in the beginning cos not enough BM to meet his demand. Takes awhile to get the feeding and supply on track. then when she is done with the feeding, express out whatever you can on both breasts. What I did was to pump out after each direct feed, and do a full pump out in the wee morning (when experiencing engorgement), and also after last feed before I sleep. These are the time when our supply is the highest. so can stock up on EBM. milk supply tend to be lower in the evening. Tiring but it's all worth it for them. I had to do this for weeks before really seeing the increase.

rice or noodle I dont think make any difference, but you need lots of vege, fluids, fish and of cos REST! Maybe you can consider tingkat for now. At least you get the right balance of food intake.

I know it's difficult to rest when you have another one to handle. How old is your older son now?

Do you have anyone to help you tend to your baby at night? Maybe can take turn?

Last edited:

HoneybunnyZ

My boy had very mild jaundice so dr didn't say anything much about monitoring intake back then but I was then in a house filled with unsupportive and know nothing abt bf people so I didn't know I had quite abit of supply too

Am still bf now but here's what you can do:

- milk takes a few days to come in initially it's more of colostrum
So you need to latch him as often as he needs , only top up FM if you find he is still hungry
- monitor his wet & poo diapers (you ll know he is getting enough)
- fenugreek if really needed take 6 capsules first , 2 after every meal
- drink lots of warm drinks like bf milk powder, almond drinks, take oats, lots of soup
- boil green papaya soup with red dates , wolf berry , fish or pork ribs
Add malunggay leaves if u can find
- almond nuts may help too
- nap with baby as often as you can, maybe u got to find something ur son can entertained himself with , half hour also good.

Hope the above helps :)

Last edited:

Fiona73

Stress kill supply. Relax is the one of the key factor for breastfeeding. Juz latch on whenever yr bb need. Even it has to be hourly. Dun judge yr supply from what you pump. Till now I only manage to get ant 20-30ml from expressing. I breastfeed my bb exclusively for 6mth and still going. Dun worry, jus rest, relax, drink up and soon you will see yr supply up up up!

If you are breastfeeding exclusively, let your baby latch whenever and as long as she wants. When i first started breastfeeding, my baby suckled for one whole hour every two hours. Remember, the more she suckles, the faster your milk comes. Pumps help, but they are not as good as your baby. If you manage to pump only 20ml, do not think that you only have that meagre amount in your breasts. The pump is just not as good as your baby. I managed to pump only 10ml out of my breasts when my baby was two weeks old. Now, five weeks later, my max pump once was 100ml.

It's not that u don't have milk, u are just like me, we come slow. As long as ur baby soils her diapers more than six times everyday, ur baby is doing good. If she is growing, and not becoming gauntier, that's another good sign.

Supplementing with water or formula would interfere with ur milk supply. In our hot weather, my baby suckles more than usual as she needs me to quench her thirst.

Lastly, drink lots and lots of water, at least 4 liters a day.

Good luck and preserver in giving ur baby the best.

Mummy to Baby V

My boy had high jaundice, so I stayed with him in hospital to continue latching him day and night, every 1+ to 3 hours.
Latching on is the best way to up supply.
When baby empties my breasts and wants more milk, he'd suckle and create another letdown reflex, breasts producing milk on the spot for him. Nature's amazing!
Never judge your supply with the breastpump: it underestimates what your body can produce.

Just keep on latching in the first few weeks and your supply should be able to match baby's demand.
All the best! :)

HoneybunnyZ

Actually it's true
Back then the moment baby cries I will leak
And when my mil and confinement lady moved out of my home
I threw out all the FM
Again I am not saying FM is not good. Though I bf for a long while now, I come to realized it's a personal choice.
A happy mom = a happy baby.
If you made up your mind to bf, then do it despite it all
It's really amazing how your body reacts to your baby
It's a long story but at 8months he came down with uti (I had a maid then .... Long story)
He was hospitalized as he was never sick I didn't know what was going on till the infection led to high fever. Kk gave me a slightly bigger cot as I told them I ll only bf. My hubby was away then it was the most heart wrenching moment as he was being poked pricked and pinned down for tests to the extent even while zzz he can cry out mommy! He was then 8 months
Old. He refused all solids at the hospital and bf day and night just like a young baby. You know what ? My breasts became engorged just like when he was a new born. Unbelievably but true
He became active and recovered faster than the boy opposite according to the nurses, never needing an oxygen machine cos he was well hydrated. He was also deeply comforted by the bf. Honestly it's the most painful moment of my life yet I witness how amazing our bodies as moms can be during that period.