Breast feeding when baby is more than 6 mths

Priya Diva

Hi mummies

I am currently Bfing my 2nd baby. He is 7+mths. I total Bf him in the beginning till 6mths with one solid intro 9 at 4 mths +). Now i Bf him in the nights and early mornings. During the daytime he is on solids and FM.

He seem not to be gaining so much weight but only growing by ht. FM also he drinks but not too willingly. meal intake is ok... BF he drinks at night but does wake up in between for night feeds at times. When he drinks BM he drinks very fast than after 5mins starts to play. But does like to drink BM.
He already has started to stand....so super mobile.

I never had this issue with my elder gal cos she self wean by 7mths and her FM drinking, weight gain were all not bad.

So my qns is

- Just thinking will kids more than 7mths be playful when drinking bm?
- I plan to feed him till 9mths. Just wonder will he be averse to FM feeds at night or not later on... Anyone care to share their experience feeding past 6mths...

- i am quite upset with his weight gain[ relatives also say how come so thin.. sien].. though PD said just as long as he does he reaches his milestoone its ok....

:embarrassed:

pinkapple

yes, as long as he reaches his milestones, he's fine.

actually from the time babies start to crawl, they'll seem to lose weight / fats cos they exercise (crawl/cruise/etc) more now. I see no concern at all.
and hor, don't say drink bm halfway wants to play, since they are more mobile at this age, they may not be as interested in drinking milk, bm or fm.

my 2nd child also drinks bm less than my elder as a result, my supply is low this time. and even for night feeds, I have to supplement with FM. she's ok with that. She can sleep w/o drinking latching on too.

my elder was on bm til 3 years old and started on formula only at 2 years old. no issue on the transition too.

I'd say, if you can, give bm for as long as possible.

recently, my whole family kena a super strong virus and only my daughter who is still on my bm was spared. Thanx to the antibodies!
This really encouraged me to carry on breastfeeding cos I was considering to give up since my supply is super low now.

ast0212

I totally agree with pinkapple. Breastmilk has wonderful antibodies and the longer you can breastfeed, the better for them. I managed to get to 18 months because my milk dried up and my son only got sick when he was off breastmilk :(

Sorry I don't know much about FM. My son has never had FM and only drinks cows milk now, he didn't have any problems transitioning.

They do tend to be easily distracted once they know there is a big world beyond mummy. It's probably best to breastfeed them in a quiet place free from distractions. A bit hard when breastfeeding in public as I remember my son was always popping off the breast and turning around to see what was going on around! But if they are hungry they will drink and as long as they drink, you will have milk :001_302:

Yep just as long as they are reaching milestones they are ok. You don't see many adults all the same size, do you? There are some petite people, some big, tall, skinny etc and all can be healthy... babies are the same, they can be small and super healthy! :001_302: Ignore comments, they will only make you feel like a bad mother. My son has always been small sized. He was 6kg at 6 months, now just over 10kg at 18 months!! But that's just the way he is.

Priya Diva

Hi Mummies

Thank you for your encouragements... This has given me a renewed hope to continue BF as long as i can...:tlaugh: