Breast milk collection shells instead of breast pads??

gregda

Hi like to ask this qns...
I use breast pads daily now and find that it is exp in the long run.
Can I use the collection shells instead? I can also save my breast milk.
I bought the medela ones but read that it's to be used during breast feeding n once milk is collected, got to pour from the shell into the milk containers.
Just thinking if I wear it the whole day, every 4 hours I pour out the milk into a milk bottle n fridge it... Is it possible? But seems quite unhygenic as the milk is kept inside the shell for 4 hours. anyone does that? I say 4 hours as our BM can be kept at room temp for 4 hours.
Hope to get some answers. Thanks!!

Edwinie

buy washable breast pads.

i used to leak a lot. i can change pads about 4-6 times a day!

how often do you pump? because let's say if i'm pumping every 5 hours, and my breast leak increasingly when it gets closer to the next pumping session. so what i do is i put breast pad for the first 4 hours, and at the last hour, i replace with breast shell. the maximum i'm willing to let the milk stay inside is 1 hour.

i realise that after an hour the milk tends to start separating itself and i don't feel that the milk is fresh after that. just a personal dislike. haha!

sometimes i feel that if the leaked milk is not collected, it would be wasteful. but i realise that the leaked milk is the foremilk and are not as nutritious as the hindmilk. so i reasoned myself this and i don't feel so painful for not collecting it.

gregda

Thks! I pump 4 hourly. Think I shall try ur 1 hour method.
I didn't know that it's foremilk for those that leak. Thanks.
Usually how many mins after pumping do we get hindmilk?

Edwinie

i also didn't know it's foremilk until i compare the quality.

foremilk is very thin and transparent, which i see it in the breastshell when i collect it. hindmilk is usually thicker and milkier.

i read somewhere that foremilk and hindmilk is similar to turning on the hot water tap and the water will be room temperature and it slowly turns warm. so there's no clear cut when the hindmilk will start flowing.

i used to hate leaking breasts.. my shirt always gets wet before i come home! super embarrassing. that's y i was always wearing a jacket... i don't really like to put breastshell when i'm out because it make me look weird... maybe i'm to image conscious. haha! at about 4 months i don't leak as much.

Edwinie

oh ya, another reason why i choose 1 hour is because the milk will be in contact with our skin of our breasts, so that's not really sterile. plus the milk will start separating. yup.

so i make it 1 hour maximum.