Breast milk + formula

Hi mummies, can I add formula milk powder (just powder, no water) to my expressed breast milk? My mom is saying my EBM is getting thinner, so she wants to add milk powder to it to thicken it. I don't think it is right as our breast milk is supposed to be just right for baby, adding milk powder will destroy the balance. Am I right?

Priya Diva

Hi Mummy

I seriously suggest that you do not do that. Breast milk is suppose to be thin. If you want after feeding your ebm, then abt 15 mins later can give FM seperately to your baby if he or she is still hungry. FM has its own nutritional breakdown which is different from BM. May cause tummy upset for baby. :)

Moment

I used to do that in e night time to let my BB lasts longer, so I can rest more instead of wakin every 2 hrs as he nd to b nursed. This is recommend by PD. So is safe to do so.
Hi mummies, can I add formula milk powder (just powder, no water) to my expressed breast milk? My mom is saying my EBM is getting thinner, so she wants to add milk powder to it to thicken it. I don't think it is right as our breast milk is supposed to be just right for baby, adding milk powder will destroy the balance. Am I right?

ast0212

If it's because your milk appears thinner, it wouldn't be advisable. Breastmilk changes over time as your baby grows up and this is to suit their development. A mother's breastmilk for a 3 month old is different to her breastmilk for an 18 month old. Funnily enough breastmilk from two women will also look different...but this doesn't mean that one is more nutritious than the other as both are the best food for babies.

There's really no need for formula if your baby is developing well :) And breastmilk has 200+ more ingredients that formula doesn't have.

lyra

I think we shouldn't mix n think breast milk is not as gd as FM. Actually it is way better no matter whether it's thinner or thicker.

ast0212

That's great! :)

For some reason the older generation seem to think that formula is more nutritious than breastmilk. I think for most of them it's hard to break away from that mindset.

Breastmilk is amazing and scientists are discovering new things about it all the time.

Nah-uh, that's a very wrong thing to do. NEVER ever mix formula with breast milk. It might cause some of the enzymes in the breast milk to break down if you mix it.

Breastmilk varies on colour/consistency, depends on what time of the day you express it.