Breast milk storage

shorty313

Hi mummies!!

Im a new MTB at 36 weeks now.

I am planning to BF my baby which I know is the best choice for the baby.

May i know how long can the BM lasts when store in room temperature? For storage, freezer or chiller is recommendable?
Is there a time when you are outside your BM does not have supply? If there was ever this case do you bring bottles of your BM when you are outside, how long can it lasts and how you store it?

Thanks!! :001_302:

diza

Congrats on ur pregnancy and for making a good decision to BF ur child.

BM can last for Abt 3 hrs in room temp.
Normal fridge Abt 2 to 5 days.
Freezer compartment Abt 3 months.
Deep freezer Abt 6 mths.

If ur freezer has lots of other frozen food best is to get a deep freezer for space. My freezer don't really have a lot of frozen food so I conquered the freezer compartment. Hehehe

As long as u BF, supply will always be there. So don't worry Abt no milk. Ur breast WILL always have supply as long as u cont to BF. you can choose to bring a bottle of EBM, keep in cooler bag, bring hot flask and mug to heat up the milk. Milk can last up to 8 to 24 hr in the cooler bag (depending on brand of cooler bag). But I don't really like it coz too troublesome.. And if u feed ur baby with EBM, u also need to express or u will miss one feeding session, signalling to ur body that there's no demand for milk. Not good in the long run. What I always do is get a nursing poncho and BF my son wherever I am, be it in the restaurant or even while shopping! When he got heavier, I used carrier and just BF him. No hassle. If u r not confident to BF in public, there are many nursing rooms available. I always refer to this blog for info on nursing rooms. http://www.madpsychmum.com/p/nursing-room-review.html?m=1

But let me warn u.. The initial stage is NOT easy.. You may have a struggling baby who doesn't know the proper latching technique or even family members who are not pro BF and kept asking u to give baby FM. NB baby will cry even though u just fed ur child an hour ago. So u may have ppl telling u, ur BM not enough thats y baby cry or even ask u to give ur baby plain water coz ur baby is thirsty.. Pls don't give babies under 6 mths plain water. Not good for their digestive system. Key is perseverance and patience. Keep on latching and feed on demand. When u are at the hospital, get the lactation consultant to teach u the proper technique. Keep asking them qns if u r not sure coz if u call them again after discharge, there will be charges. Do read up Abt BF to get u fully prepared. My own mother and my husband was not pro BF. In fact no one in my family is pro BFs, not even my MIL.. Thank God, I was determined and I'm still BF my 1 yr old baby...

Last edited:

shorty313

Hi diza

Thank you so much for the useful informations and tips!!

My husband dont allow me to BF in public (hes not comfortable with the idea) except for nursing room he dont mind, thats y i was thinking of an alternative just in case im in the public transport at least i have EBM with me to feed baby.

My mum is definitely supportive she BF my younger siblings too but it doesnt last long.

And yes ive read online and this forum initial stage not easy, depending on individual. Doing lots of research to get the best for my baby! hehe...

Thanks once again cant wait for baby arrival!!!:Dancing_wub:

shorty313:828845 said:
Hi mummies!!

Im a new MTB at 36 weeks now.

I am planning to BF my baby which I know is the best choice for the baby.

May i know how long can the BM lasts when store in room temperature? For storage, freezer or chiller is recommendable?
Is there a time when you are outside your BM does not have supply? If there was ever this case do you bring bottles of your BM when you are outside, how long can it lasts and how you store it?

Thanks!! :001_302:
Congrats.
There will always be bm in your breast. Only difference is whether the flow is fast or slow. If you latch there is no need for u to carry bm bottles when u are outside. Just nurse. Its much easier that way.
Btw it is best to check your ebm before serving esp if u kept it for a longer period. Spoilt milk has a sour smell. Babies are quite clever. They probably wont take it after a few sucks if its spoilt.

My mum, who will help me during confinement, is not against BF. But she feels that no need to buy breastpumps so expensive. Also, based on my last experience which is my first time also, she's not very encouraging. I'm quite determined to BF this tym round but quite worried with these unnecessary stress. =/

shorty313:828864 said:
Hi diza

Thank you so much for the useful informations and tips!!

My husband dont allow me to BF in public (hes not comfortable with the idea) except for nursing room he dont mind, thats y i was thinking of an alternative just in case im in the public transport at least i have EBM with me to feed baby.

My mum is definitely supportive she BF my younger siblings too but it doesnt last long.

And yes ive read online and this forum initial stage not easy, depending on individual. Doing lots of research to get the best for my baby! hehe...

Thanks once again cant wait for baby arrival!!!:Dancing_wub:
Didn't see your post on husband not comfortable with u nursing in public. Did u ask him why? There's nothing embarrassing about nursing your baby in public. U cant see anything if u are using nursing cover. It's a pity cos if u can latch outside u can go out the whole day without worrying that ur supply will drop cos u can't pump. In addition u can travel light, eat while u bf. It's really much more convenient that way. Try talking to your husband?

juzforyingxi:828926 said:
My mum, who will help me during confinement, is not against BF. But she feels that no need to buy breastpumps so expensive. Also, based on my last experience which is my first time also, she's not very encouraging. I'm quite determined to BF this tym round but quite worried with these unnecessary stress. =/
I'm sure u can do it if u are determined. As for breast pumps if u are SAHM u probably can save cost by getting manual or single pump. Breast pumps may be expensive but formula is not cheap either. Don't forget all the benefits of breastfeeding. :D

I'm working + will resume PT studies after maternity leave ... dats why thinking of investing in one ... but at the same time worried not enuff milk ...

blackcanary:828946 said:
juzforyingxi:828926 said:
I'm sure u can do it if u are determined. As for breast pumps if u are SAHM u probably can save cost by getting manual or single pump. Breast pumps may be expensive but formula is not cheap either. Don't forget all the benefits of breastfeeding. :D

Don't worry. U will have enough as long as u are determined. It will be good if u have peer support to cheer u on during your breastfeeding journey. I personally find it very important and helpful.

Btw invest in a good double electric pump.

diza

juzforyingxi: If u r not a SAHM, should invest in a good dbl pump. It may be expensive but definitely worth it. At first I was hesitant to buy a good dbl pump so I got a preloved single electric pump frm a friend. Then I realised, I'm spending almost an hour to express milk. Decided to get a dbl pump when my son was 2 mths plus. Never regret buying it. I only need Abt 20 min to get the amt I need. And buying a breast pump is equivalent to Abt 3 mths supply of FM. But if u BF, u saved thousands! So dbl electric pump is a good investment!

shorty313: Try talking to ur husband and ask him why he's not comfortable... The amt of time u need to find a nursing room and waiting for ur baby to finish feeding can take more than 30 min.. Is ur husband ok with waiting? Coz ur hubby may no be able to enter some nursing rooms.. Plus if u go overseas, they might not even have nursing rooms. I was also shy to BF my baby in public at first but after my trip to BKK, I became very confident and I don't give a damn if ppl were to stare at me. Hehehe...

shorty313

Yes im trying to talk him out cuz i really would love to BF knowing the benefits of BM. Ive already bought a nursing cover though hehe...

Praying he will say yes, hes a bit stubborn! and if its his way always must be his way!! :eek:10::eek:10:

diza

Did u get the nursing poncho type? That type is better coz it covers fully so no embarrassing moments.. Hehe. I've tried the normal one and when my boy was more than 3 months, he couldn't keep still.

shorty313

Im back and just gave birth to a healthy 3.44kg baby girl normal delivery!! Since im still in confinement im doing bf n ebm regularly and so far my milk supply is very high :Dancing_tongue:...

I understand that plain water is not advisable for babies under 6 months. Everytime i thaw my ebm in the normal fridge my milk level will be more than what i had stored since it was kept in the freezer probably because my milk has turn to ice. Is what im doing the correct way to thaw in the fridge or to thaw it in room temperature or thaw in hot water? My mum kinda forgotten how she did it..hee

And how do you differentiate between freezer and deep freezer?

Hi. Congrats on your delivery. You should thaw it in the chiller section. That way u can pour what is required and keep the rest in the fridge. Some pp choose to store in drinking portion so that it is easier and faster to thaw. Try to latch and give fresh. If u do want to givd ebm. Give chilled ones since it has more nutrients than frozen ebm.

diza

Im back and just gave birth to a healthy 3.44kg baby girl normal delivery!! Since im still in confinement im doing bf n ebm regularly and so far my milk supply is very high :Dancing_tongue:...

I understand that plain water is not advisable for babies under 6 months. Everytime i thaw my ebm in the normal fridge my milk level will be more than what i had stored since it was kept in the freezer probably because my milk has turn to ice. Is what im doing the correct way to thaw in the fridge or to thaw it in room temperature or thaw in hot water? My mum kinda forgotten how she did it..hee

And how do you differentiate between freezer and deep freezer?
Congrats on ur NB baby!!! Good to know that ur supply is good. Keep latching and expressing. Try not to miss any nursing/expressing sessions as this may disrupt ur supply.

I normally thaw frozen EBM overnight. If I need it urgently, I just put the storage bag under running tap water for a few minutes then heat up the desired amt. Balance, I'll keep in the fridge and use it for next feeding.

Deep freezer is like those boxed typed fridge. Freezer is attached to the typical fridge. Get me??

u can go harvey norman, courts website to see the models and brands they offer. i bought techno brand from courts because they have promotion.

Welshia

Thank you Thank you!!

ilovebbdylan:841386 said:
u can go harvey norman, courts website to see the models and brands they offer. i bought techno brand from courts because they have promotion.

Wang Qian

Confinement Nanny & Food Services in Singapore - Superstar Nanny
Congratulations dear all!
For storage of milk, room temperature best finish feeding within one hour (singapore temperature> 25degree).cooler temperature can keep up to 3-4hours (<25degree)
If your baby can finish the yr milk within 2 days, it is good to keep it in chiller <4 degree, so that you do not need to thaw the milk, just warm up in warm water, not hot water.
For freezer 3 months, you can thaw the milk either by standing it in warm water or put it down to chiller, however, once it i been thawed, must finish it within 24hrs.
Deep freezer (normally used by factory) 6-12months
ALWAY CHECK YO your MILK BEFORE FEEDING YOUR BABY.
Please feel free to contact us for more tips!

melanie3

congratulations on your coming newborn.
dont worry about breastfeeding your baby in public just yet. there are plenty of nursing rooms in sg. i too dont feed in the open except in the nursing rooms. so far i dont have any problems looking for a place to feed yet.

on the breastmilk storage part. the first reply was what i'm following too.
Fridge i keep that at 3days max, throw them away after that, no point being stingy on those few ounces as we can still pump and feed indefinitely.
Freezer 3months. Always check your milk before feeding baby

Invest in a good double electric pump. please LoL. im back to work already. i spend max of 30mins pumping (3hourly) and i get like 6-7oz out of it.
I always bump into a mother who spends half the day in the nursing room. she is always there!! manual pump. couldnt imagine all the time wasted there, and the arms training. if we're gonna be breastfeeding for a year, it's wiser to invest on a good pump. and we can use that for the next baby. i'm using medela freestyle. love them.