Breast Pump Comparison : Medela, Avent, or Ameda?

Hello ladies! I'm doing some research on breast pumps and am overwhelmed with the info out there.

For a start, my requirements are :
1) portable pump to bring to office-home
2) preferably dual pump to save time as need to pump during working hours
3) easy to assemble/clean/replace parts

I'm not sure if I considered everything.. but this is all i can think of now.

There's a lot of reviews out there on Medela and Avent, but not much on Ameda, despite Ameda being cheaper..
OK so i did some comparisons, and these are some 'quirks' that made me lean on one or the other.. if you have anything to add, please let me know!

[you]Medela
[/you]-Expensive
-The tubing is hard to clean, and might get mouldy over time
-Medela bottles have smaller opening.. harder to clean the bottles
-Popular choice, especially the Medela Freestyle for working mums

[you]Avent[/you]
-Expensive

[you]Ameda
[/you]- suction not as strong as medela, but good enough
- least expensive

I think I would have to consider value for money as well, for e.g. cost of accessories like storage bags/bottles.. but dont't have much information on that yet. If you do, please share as well!

I'm leaning towards Avent, and Ameda for the price, if only i can find more info on it!

Thank you all :001_302:

milyve

I'm using Medela Swing Maxi. Suction is good and portable. Uses 6 AAA batteries. I try pumping outside when I go shopping. So far ok for me.

Pricing quite reasonable for a dual pump. There's a seller in this forum selling local sets with warranty for $420.

spare parts for medela pump can easily be found at Mum's and Babe.

For milk storage bags, I'm using Nanny. Quality similar to pigeon, price cheaper. There's a seller in this forum selling it as well.

snowkie

I'm using ameda lactaline dual pump. So far it's good for me. Not too heavy to bring to work, but I've not tried with batteries before. Cleaning is easy. Don't need to clean the tubing. Price is relatively cheaper conpared to Avent or medela

diza

I'm using Medela Freestyle. It's portable, hands free and doesn't need electrical point to work. I wash the tubes with soap and water once a week but I don't sterilise it.. Then I will swing the tubes like a lasso to get the water out and just hang it dry. Someone in this forum is selling a local brand new set with warranty at $550. Cheapest price in the market is $699. I bought the set frm that seller but not too sure if he still has some stock.

Ameda is cheap but are the parts easily available and do they have service centre? I know Avent and Medela have service centres and Medela'a warranty is renewable at a fee annually.

thank you babes!

i searched online and found the Ameda svc ctr is at Tagore Lane.
seems like Medela is the popular obvious choice! am attracted to Avent because i always seem to see stores selling them in value bundles. and of course Ameda's is cheaper.

are they all long-lasting for everyday use? and the cleaning also worries me.. cleaning/doing dishes dishes are my least fave chores. lol.
hope i can decide soon to strike this off my list :/

snowkie

I've seen ameda parts being sold at kiddy palace and isetan. Not sure abt other places cos didn't really look for it. Been using every weekday during work for the past 5 months. Has been serving me well :)

I've seen ameda parts being sold at kiddy palace and isetan. Not sure about other places cos didn't really look for it. Been using every weekday during work for the past 5 months. Has been serving me well :)
oic .. thanks! i think in the coming motherhood fair I'll look out for these and see if there's any attractive bundles.

ling.er

Been using medela freestyle for nearly 6 month already.
Nice & really small enough to place in bags.. Re-chargable & also suction is good

try this blog site , so far the price are quite reasonable http://www.babyswonderful.blogspot.sg/?m=1

i bought a few times from them. yesterday just place my order for freestyle set because mine broke now. she quote $540 :)

littlebon

hey mummies
I have a medela swing maxi for sale. just used only 2 weeks after that I stopped breast feeding. so its almost new. wanna sell for 350sgd. self pick up. text me if your interested.

i bought the US export set, only us warranty, no local warranty. need to pay for repairs in case if set breaks down. for local set with warranty, good to buy locally when there is baby fair/ sales

venussnow

The us medela Pisa works just as well except u have to get the adaptor to convert. U can order from amazon. Now there is free shipping so u might want to consider getting from there :) I got mine ard 300-400 sgd coz my sil brought back for me

hi Venussnow, is the Pisa portable? i know it can run on 8 AA batteries.. but is it convenient to lug around say if you have to bring it out to office daily to pump?

2 mths after i start this thread i'm still undecided !!

diza

PISA is portable and the motor is attached to the bag itself unless ur PISA is the Metro edition.. PISA Metro's motor is not attached to the bag., Personally I hate carrying 2 big bags... Since I couldn't get PISA Metro in SG, I decided to get Freestyle.

venussnow

I carry Pisa to work everyday. It's portable but not exactly light with the adaptor. But if u bring the portable battery, it's lighter but I just find the strength slightly weaker when running on batt than electricity