Breast rash or itchy skin after BF?

pmcheng

Hi mummies, anyone had patches of itchy skin around the breast (outside of the areola area)? I just developed some; more on the side that my bb likes to latch on as compared to other side that bb doesn't prefer.

I called Mt Alvernia's Parentcraft centre and they said likely because milk might have been left around that area after feeding and I didn't wipe it entirely clean after a feed. Another possible reason, which I think is more likely my case, is that breast pads are too moist. I used washable breast pads at home thinking it's more economical so that I keep disposable ones for going out/work. But the washable breast pads seem to trap milk that has leaked, causing my breast to be moist and itchy - eventually leading to the breast rash.

My situation has improved a lot now but I'm just wondering if anyone had same experiences to share? :)

NoniJuize

I have dry patches on both sides at the top part of my breast (between the areola and collar bone). It was brown at first and I didn't think much of it an thought I got sunburnt or something. After a week or so it became really dry and itchy. I knew the reason then. I just returned to work and was pumping milk like crazy. 500ml a day, 4 times a day. While pumping, I will also combine hand expressing to get as much milk out and as fast as possible. So the friction of hand and breast skin, took a toll after a while. Now, after pumping, I will apply some Nivea cream (if I remember!) and it wont appear so dry or feel itchy.

Are you still leaking? I stopped leaking after 1.5months.... Or at least I stopped using breastpads after 1 month. Whether I was using disposable or cloth breast pads, is makes my nipples itchy!!!
Sometimes if engorged (which almost never happens anymore), then it might leak...

pmcheng

I'm still leaking a little; though less than before. But I continue using breast pads so that it absorbs any leaked milk to prevent my breasts from being moist.

Wow, I didn't know that much pumping or hand expressing could cause the skin to be dry or itchy.. I'll keep your advice in mind. Thanks! :)