Breastfeed one side of both sides

hi all

I hv juz started to breastfeed my baby and hv the following queries, hope all mummies can provide some advice, thanks!

1) should I offer one breast to my baby at each feed or both breasts?

2) how long should I feed my baby each time? my baby usually feed for 5-10mins n fuss, n I need to try to get my baby to continue to feed but sometimes my baby dun wan to latch on so I offer the other breast.

3) if my baby drink from both breasts at 20mins each, which side should I offer first at the next feeding?

diza

1) Since ur baby is NB, one side is enough. Feed ur baby on the other side for the next feeding. Alternatively, you can nurse him on one side and express the other.

2) Depends on ur baby. Always feed on demand. If ur baby fusses, offer the other side. Once ur baby is full, he/she will auto unlatch. While nursing, ur baby will fall asleep. Try to unlatch slowly and if ur baby starts to suckle, then just cont nursing.

3) Doesn't matter which side to offer first if u have offered both sides during previous feed.

Just remember to feed on demand even if u just fed ur baby 30 min ago.. Don bother Abt other's comments when they say u don have enough milk tts why baby is always hungry.. Just cont to nurse coz by feeding on demand, it will boost ur supply. BM is easily digested so ur baby will get hungry faster.

Last edited:

Leomaiden

Hi chocolate07, it would be good to offer ur baby both side of ur breast. Each side about 10-15 mins. After latching, if u still feel engorge then continue with pump to express breast milk. Not advisable to latch only on one side as the baby will get use to it n only prefer that side :)

Like what diza said, for NB, one side is enough. U could change side for the next feed :)

1) should I offer one breast to my baby at each feed or both breasts?

u can offer one breast first, after finishing, burp the baby. offer the other after burp, if baby refuse, he is full. then u stop. every baby are different, you need to observe yours.

2) how long should I feed my baby each time? my baby usually feed for 5-10mins n fuss, n I need to try to get my baby to continue to feed but sometimes my baby dun wan to latch on so I offer the other breast.

for the start, some mummies milk supply is not very well establish, so if he fuss, offer another breast. more milk will come in after. if he fuss, u can pat him, chg diaper, burp and continue

most inportantly, u can hear baby swallow, see their jaw movement to know whether they are drinking or not. if they tend to stop (long pause) it means they are slowing down.

3) if my baby drink from both breasts at 20mins each, which side should I offer first at the next feeding?

i will offer the second breast first for next feeding as i deem they might not finish that much from the second breast.

Hi chocolate07,
Welcome to the breastfeeding moms club! :)
Here is my input:
1) I recommend offering both breasts, but you need to let your baby stay on the first one for as long as there is milk. You will here a swallow after every suck or two - it means there is still milk. When your baby just starts sucking, he/she is getting the foremilk, then comes thicker calorie-rich hindmilk. You want you baby to get the hindmilk, that's why it is important to finish one breast before changing to the other one. It is important to offer second breast too after the first one is done to provide extra stimulation and promote more milk production. If no milk is taken from the other breast, your body gets the signal that no more milk is needed and starts producing less. Not draining your other breast may also cause engorgement. So offer the second breast or pump it and store milk for future use. If your baby insists on switching to the other breast, switch for a little bit and then switch back. However, some babies have strong preferences of one breast over the other (lopsided), then you will need to encourage to take the non-favorite breast as much as you can. There is a page on my website on lopsided breastfeeding, if you are interested: Lopsided Breasts - Techniques, Tips and Things To Watch
2) 5-10 minutes is enough for some babies to get full. Your milk flow may be strong and steady and a baby may be getting 3-4 ounces within 5 minutes. Best rule is to listen to swallowing. If there is a swallow after every suck or two, your baby is sucking efficiently. Also check baby's weight - if weight gain is good, 5-10 minutes is enough. If there is still milk left in your breast, pump.
3) Whichever is fuller by the time of nursing.
Hope it helps,
Viktoriya from Breastfeeding ? Information, Education, Help and Tips You Need to Start It Right
When your baby starts sucking foremilk comes first. After that thick, creamy and calorie-rich hindmilk follows. - See more at: Milk Composition - Ways to Change It

When your baby starts sucking foremilk comes first. After that thick, creamy and calorie-rich hindmilk follows. - See more at: Milk Composition - Ways to Change It

hi diza, Leomaiden, ilovebbdylan, thanks for ur advice..forgot to add in tat my baby is one mth plus le, so I tink I need to feed both sides rite?since my baby is not a newborn..if I feed both sides 30mins, oso ok? If my baby onli drink one side, can I dun pump out the other side n juz offer it for the next feed?

hi Meowmummy, thanks for ur moral support :)

chocolate07,
if you are fine with latching and bottle feeding at the same time, u may do this. alternatively,u can freeze the excess for future use:)

diza

It's ok to feed on one side and keep the other side for the next feeding session but if you want to maintain your supply and cont bf for a long time, latching and expressing would be advisable.

belovedchloe

Hi, my son is currently 10 days old. He only latches on 1 side for 10 - 15 mins and then falls asleep. I have been pumping for 10 mins on the other boob to stimulate it. Am I doing it correctly? Should I also pump on the boob he fed on as sometimes it doesn't feel empty.

diza

Hi belovedchloe, u are doing the right thing, latch on one side and express on the other to stimulate and also estb ur supply. If your breast don't feel empty after nursing, u can express it. All these help to boost supply. :)