Breastfeed + pacifier?

clearjade

Do any breastfeeding mummies give a pacifier to their babies? Will it cause nipple confusion or make the baby lazy to latch on and suck?

There are times when my boy cries and cries and can't be soothed even after I've checked his nappy, burped him and made sure all his needs are met. The paediatrician says it's ok to let him cry and he will eventually stop (now re-training him to soothe himself 'cos I used to carry and feed him constantly 'cos of his crying which only made it worse) but I'm living with my in-laws and they insist that we cannot let him cry so much as it will give him wind (which paediatrician says is an old wives' tale and not true) and my mother in law will come in to carry and soothe him which will only make him cry harder after she puts him back down.

So I'm thinking of getting a pacifier and use it when he has been crying for a long time (over 1/2hr or more) so that my in-laws will leave us alone but I'm worried that he won't breastfeed as well as he is doing now.

megtan

Yes, I gave my son pacifier at about 4 weeks, after Breastfeeding is more established. He needs it to nap & sleep. I think the recommendation is after 6 weeks. Since Ur baby is 6 weeks & suckling well, should be ok to give.

The only problem is how to wean him off now he's one year old coz he loves his pacifier.

Last edited:

clearjade

I'm also worried about weaning him off it later on. Got my hubby to buy some to standby in case we really need to use it. I was hoping to not use pacifier at all.

fattymumu

Both my boys were given pacifier when they are about 1 wk old.My mum insist that i gave them to calm them sometimes esp when they cry too much. I was also worried abt the nipple confusion and hesitated. But sometimes no choice has to listen to the elders.

My elder boy wean himself off when he is 8mths old. He only used it when he wants to slp then.

My 2nd boy is still using cos 1.5mths only. But we already noticed that he doesnt like pacifier but mummy's breast. so I'm not worried abt weaning him off pacifier later.

I read somewhere that if u need to give pacifier, try to wean off before child turns 1 otherwise it will be difficult since they are so used to it.

Mummy to Baby V

Does your motherly instinct let you trust what your paed says completely?

I've learnt that there are differing opinions even among doctors.
You may read AskDrSears.com on how to tackle crying / fussy / high needs babies.

My boy was a high needs baby, cried frequently (e.g. 2-6am at night!), needs a lot of cuddling / carrying and loves latching on to feel secure.
Now, he's 2 years old, is a very happy boy, yet still very clingy to me at bedtime.

After reading AskDrSears.com, I started practising attachment parenting. Lots of carrying when baby needs it (baby sling is very useful), latch on on demand, and be responsive to baby's needs. He could cry so badly that I'm sure he won't stop, and it's so frustrating to hear the cries. So I'd rather carry and comfort him. Some babies also cry very hard until they vomit the previous feed.

I tried offering pacifier after 8 weeks, but he didn't like it.

Looking back, we'd very challenging months. Yet this phase will definitely pass when the baby grows or when you find something that works for him.

All the best! :)

clearjade

Yes, it's definitely very challenging when baby cries and I can't find the reason for it, especially for first-time mom. Every time baby cried and I couldn't soothe him, would also end up crying with him.

After everything, have figured out he was crying and screaming all the time because he was overtired. Read 'Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child' by Marc Weissbluth and learned to help baby nap when he needed it (since he does not fall asleep easily on his own). I was always told that babies will sleep when they need it (by older folks) so I did not pay attention and thought he would sleep on his own.

Even now baby still does not nap easily but he is making progress. And I still have the pacifier on standby but have not needed it yet since now he is easily soothed by some nursing, unlike before :)

yes, I gave my gal when she was just few weeks old...

now she is nearly 8mths, she'll only use pacifier before sleep, when she fall in sleep, the pacifier will drop out from her mouth then I will keep it.. sometime she will cry n ask for pacifier sometime not.. she wont ask for it when she is awake.. sometime she fall in sleep after milk, so no nd pacifier at all..

mayb can try to give at sleeping time only, when ur son is awake, then take away...

yumitan

i gave my daughter pacifier when shes just less than a week old >.< shes a very weird baby.. at night wont sleep, she would cry and cry non stop if i put her down, that's why i gave her pacifier.. i only gave her pacifier only when shes crying too loudly and wont stop or before she sleep.. she completely wean off when she's 2 yrs old ++ when i told her "baby suck suck du du (pacifier) very shame shame, mummy is going to throw this away", she said ok and since that day she doesnt need pacifier to fall alseep or stop her crying..

Yes!! i give pacifier to my baby even i breastfeed, i only used when she sleep .so that she can sleep well and no one can disturb.

My baby is in stage of 2 months that's the time i let her use pacifier, i also feed her coz in the night when she is finish feeding she always to latch , i get then i put pacifier in her mouth so that she can sleep better.

Mostly in my situation,i really need a pacifier also, because my baby when she is 4 months old she always like to latch at all time, according for her to sleep.
and i get her then i put in our bed,then i suck the pacifier to her.