Breastfeeding advise

SMum12

Hi mummies, i will need advise on breastfeeding bcause i have an unsucessfully bf section on my 1st child, reason is bcause my 1st drop of milk only comes in on 2nd wk after deliver, and quatity of milk is very little, totally not sufficent for my boy to drink, thereafter i rely on fm. Now my 2nd baby is coming soon, how to make sure i hv sufficent milk & it will comes straight aft i deliver. Any mummies hv same experience & care to share? TIA.

andieluv2

thou ppl say every woman will have milk. but i think it oso depends on our own body condition. try not to drink too much.cold stuff during pregnancy and have morr soupy and fish. some ppl have milk without much effort. while others have brry.little no.matter how hard they.work. try to take it easy and tell.urself to give as.much as u can no matter its little or alot. ppl say dun rely on fm. i believe that its true initially. the first few days. keep latching. it will be really tiring. but juz keep latching and dun give up. pumping helps too but.will increase the flow much.slower compared to.latching. i also struggled.bery hard to bf.my first bb. but i.managed to do it till she is now 6months and still giving her but bcoz j go bck to wrk and supply drop so i am supplementing her with 1 feed of fm whn i start wrk at 6months. jia you and keep.psycho urself that the dofficult phase will.pass and whn bb turns 1month.old, things will get better...good luck.

SMum12

Hi, thanks for the encouragement. My concern is during 1st 2weeks when there's no milk, I've feed bb wif fm, therefore bb refuse to latch on knowing that he's not able to drink any milk out from there & prefer bottle feed fm. Fm cause serious colic for the whole 12mths. Any suggest on type of breastpump that can stimulate more milk flow? This time round i really hope cn bf 2nd bb successfully.

most hospitals have lactation consultants. I also had alot of problems with breastfeeding. the lactation consultants told me i had alot of milk. But i struggled alot with latching the baby on. Almost gave up. took me almost a mth to get her to latch on properly

happymoxy

Hi Smum12, I had my first child 6 months ago and milk came in on the fifth day. Went through a drug free delivery, submitted birth plan to gynae beforehand and indicated that I want to breastfeed exclusively as soon as my child is born. Breastfeeding colostrum within the first hour after the child is born makes a diff. Milk came in on the 3rd day. Subsequently BF every 3 hours, pump after that. Middle of the night pumping - body produces more milk. Started to pump and store up the fridge 2 weeks before heading bk to work. was on fenugreek supplements to maintain the supply...I continued to pump on schedule at work too then latch on when back home. And time flies...eventually my LO doesn't latch anymore so I'm exclusively pumping. BF is a tedious journey however it's all worth it! ;)

Tips: KKH has the best lactation consultant.
Join the 'breastfeeding advocates Network' (with a light bulb as logo) on FB. There you get advise, shared experience and support from mothers on BF

Hi, my advice is to keep latching.. I gave birth abt 2 weeks ago. As I was on csect , I had to stay for few days b4 discharged .. At hospital I keep latching n told the nurses that I want to total bf . Milk will not come in until after few days of birth but if u get baby to latch, milk will kick in soon n baby will definitely get the rich colostrum .. Baby's tummy is small n baby won't drink much after birth... It's gd to get support or consult a lactation group if u r unsure but persistent to try.. It's hard work esp the first few days/weeks after birth.. You ll get tired ESP when baby feeds gets nearer n longer.. Stay sane n wish u all the best :))

AkaSakana

First, please announce to the world you are going to TOTAL breastfeed your baby. So, the nurses or your confinement lady will help you to bring your bb in every 3-4 hrs to latch on you, which is very crucial for the first 2 weeks to stimulate your breast for more milk to come. When you have stable milk supply, you can then plan to mix fm or continue TOTAL breastfeed. Remember to drink a lot of fluid.

FYI, I was successful to breastfeed my 2nd kid till his 22nd-mth and the fm only kicked in on his 21st-mth. Good luck!

First, when you decide that you are going to breastfeed, you must inform the nurses that will help you in the delivery that you're going to breastfeed your child and should room-in your baby. Second, please remember that even if you think that you cannot express enough milk (which is actually seen if you pump and the number of diapers your baby wets in a day: as a general rule, a healthy and well-fed baby should wet from 6-8 diapers in a day), a newborn baby's stored food (during pregnancy) an last him up to 5 days. Your worry there however is hearing your baby cry. But then again, just practice the law of supply and demand. These two are directly proportional to one another. If the demand increases, the supply increases as well. Just continue latching on . Certain scenarios might discourage you, like wanting to provide for your baby as soon as she cries. But be firm if you are dedicated to breastfeeding.

Good luck!

l0r3tTa

Awesome advices.. Thanks!!

my 2nd one due 3 MAr and also gg to BF all the way as long as i can. The first baby, breastfeed till maybe about 15 or 16 months...cos back to work and the supply dropped...

Any one here back to work and using breastpump, is Medela Freestyle or PISA better?

diza

I'm using freestyle. So no need electrical point. Once low batt, just need to recharge. Not too sure abt PISA though. And PISA's motor is attached to the bag unless you get the Metro version. I find it troublesome to bring the whole bag out. But in terms of suction power, I've read that PISA is better than freestyle.

venussnow

I'm using Pisa and I would highly recommend it. I tried the medela electric pump in the hospital and my supply was really low like 2-3 drops for 10min tt I felt disheartened. when I got home, I immediately tried out my medela Pisa and by the 6th day of delivery, I was pumping an average of 150ml of milk per 2-3 h without supplements. You can read more about my experience with Pisa at my blog, cozylittlehaven.net.

Hi mummies,
You may consider eating some lactation cookies to boost ur milk supply.. I have 2 kids, and I had bf problems with my 1st child. So was looking for a lot of help / research to ensure my 2nd (now 3.5 months) has enough. Was spending a lot of money on vitamins. Then I found out how lactation cookies can work, and I tried them out. And they did for me. So I've been spending time trying to work out cookies recipes to help other mummies in their breastfeeding journey. And I finally manage to see some results from other mummies as well! You can find out more from Milk Of Love | It's all about Breastmilk.