Breastfeeding Mummies

iwan2noe

Hi dear mummies,

I am a mummy who is breastfeeding my baby. Though supplementing my gal with FM since she is 6.5 mths old, I am still concern of the quality of expressed milk I am producing for her.

Does any one of u take any additional supplements? Like calcium & iron pills for ourself since we are losing calcium in the milk we are producing. Taking fish oil(safe for babies;prescribed by drs or if not, what brand are u taking) so tat it will be in our ebm and in turn gets to the system of our babies when she take it. Multivitamins that was taken during pregnancy period to gives us the needed nutrients and vitamins that we need since it will be deficient from our body after utilising our body store's of them for producing ebm for our precious little one?

Another concern which many mummies may have : Can we do chemicals on our hair such as rebonding and dying/highlighing our hair. We also need to look good after giving birth to our baby right? viola.. Can we? Any advise or advise from your gynae or dr that you can share with us, for the benefit or all great breastfeeding mummies?

Can we/our babies eat the following food :
1) Durian
2) tea/coffee & cafeinated food
3) alcoholic drinks
4) Fruits - any restrictions or specific fruits that we can give our babies at different stages (3-6 mths, 6-8 mths and/or 8 mths owards)

All sharings and advices are greatly appreciated tons!:wong19:

Hi dear mummies,

I am a mummy who is breastfeeding my baby. Though supplementing my gal with FM since she is 6.5 mths old, I am still concern of the quality of expressed milk I am producing for her.

Does any one of you take any additional supplements? Like calcium & iron pills for ourself since we are losing calcium in the milk we are producing. Taking fish oil(safe for babies;prescribed by drs or if not, what brand are you taking) so that it will be in our ebm and in turn gets to the system of our babies when she take it. Multivitamins that was taken during pregnancy period to gives us the needed nutrients and vitamins that we need since it will be deficient from our body after utilising our body store's of them for producing ebm for our precious little one?

Till today, I'm still taking the supplements that was prescribed by my gynae during my pregnancy such as obimin, fish oil & calcium tabs.

Another concern which many mummies may have : Can we do chemicals on our hair such as rebonding and dying/highlighing our hair. We also need to look good after giving birth to our baby right? viola.. Can we? Any advise or advise from your gynae or dr that you can share with us, for the benefit or all great breastfeeding mummies?

I colored my hair when my baby turned 2 mths old. Gynae told me no issue with dat. I'm thinking of rebonding my hair but had to delay till latr cos I'm having hair loss after birth so dont want to exaggerate further by stressing my hair.

1) Durian - Yes
2) tea/coffee & cafeinated food - Small amount/ portion but not frequent, once in a blue moon.
3) alcoholic drinks - Strictly NO
4) Fruits - any restrictions or specific fruits that we can give our babies at different stages (3-6 mths, 6-8 mths and/or 8 mths owards) - I take all kind of fruits as I'm a fruit lover. Usually I took apples, oranges,pears quite often.

Hope it helps :)

meiteoh

Hi dear mummies,

Does any one of you take any additional supplements? Like calcium & iron pills for ourself since we are losing calcium in the milk we are producing. Taking fish oil(safe for babies;prescribed by drs or if not, what brand are you taking) so that it will be in our ebm and in turn gets to the system of our babies when she take it. Multivitamins that was taken during pregnancy period to gives us the needed nutrients and vitamins that we need since it will be deficient from our body after utilising our body store's of them for producing ebm for our precious little one?
I take a lot of milk, yogurt and seaweed plus fish so no pills - prefer the balanced diet approach. I do have bottles of multivits and calcium at the office but I'm a slacker when it comes to pills. So will take like once a week or something. :p

Personally, as long as you're not doing this for long hours (like over 3 hours) or frequently (once a week), then I think it's okay. :)

1) Durian
2) tea/coffee & cafeinated food
3) alcoholic drinks
4) Fruits - any restrictions or specific fruits that we can give our babies at different stages (3-6 mths, 6-8 mths and/or 8 mths owards)

1) Yes but small amounts as they can be very sweet and heaty (if you believe in the hot/cold thing)
2) Yes but in small quantities - 1 cup a day is good.
3) No but if you must have a drink, do so after breastfeeding as it takes about two to three hours to clear out from the body
4) Yes, please give fruits as baby needs Vit C to help with calcium absorption plus fruits helps prevent constipation - an issue with babies on the typical rice, apple, banana, meat diet. Avoid citrus (pineapple included) and berries until baby is 12 mths old. You can give fruits like mango but be aware that some people have oral allergies after eating mangos. Raw fruits can be offered after 8 mths but make sure they are soft. Grapes are good as well for babies above 8 mths but peel the skin and quarter them as they are a choking hazard.

Hope this helps!

megtan

Hi dear mummies,

I'm a slacker when it comes to taking pills, so even if I have I always forget to eat. So the best way is through diet. I drink at least 1 glass of Anlene daily, fish (like cod, threadfin, salmon) at least 3-4 times a week, veggies (like Kailan, spinach) at least 1-2 meals daily, fruits at least 1-2 times daily, also take cheese and yogurt some times.

I rebonded my hair after 2 months but did not highlight or colour. Hair fall started from 4th month but don't think it's due to that.

1) Durian - seldom eat as I'm limiting my sugar intake. Have yet to give baby.
2) tea/coffee & cafeinated food - seldom, if yes only tea once in a while.
3) alcoholic drinks - don't take.
4) Fruits - any restrictions or specific fruits that we can give our babies at different stages (3-6 mths, 6-8 mths and/or 8 mths owards) - started weaning at 6 months, so far intro banana (mashed) and pear (steamed and puree) only... will slowly try others like avocado, papaya. Understand no berries and citrus fruits for now...

My boy is about same age as your gal, now 6 months 3 weeks :) Still total breastfeeding :)