Breastfeeding over 1yr old

Gwynne

Hi mummies,

I would like to know if we continue breastfeeding after 1yr old, is giving breastmilk still beneficial to baby and provide the correct nutrient for them?
Or shld we wean them off and start giving then fm after 1yr?

lyra

We can continue to feed baby breastmilk and its not necessary to give any formula at all if baby wants breastmilk.
You can read more at kelly mom for more info: http://kellymom.com/category/ages/after12mo/
Breastmilk's nutrients changes to suit baby's needs as he grows. Its nature's perfect gift for baby.

I'm still feeding baby breastmilk now and my son's 13month old. I heard a lot of advices like breastmilk has no benefits after 6 months, or after 9 months of after 12months etc etc... but all these are myths with no scientific basis.

Bm is still as good up to 2 yrs. but then after one yr, you should increase solid intake and slowly build up their nutrients intake from solid instead of milk from 1yr - 2yr.

After 2 yrs, actually may not be so beneficial. the only good thing is the bonding

Forgot to add, I read an article before which said tat the baby will b protected for a further 6 mths after weaning off bm. Ie if u wean him off at 12 mths, he will still hv the antibodies n stuff fr u to protect him till 18 mths. So mayb this can give u a little more reason to bf baby longer

Shirix

Hi all, I had extra milk for my DD now so I gave to my 2 elder sons, 16 months and 3 years like 150ml each each day.

Is it true that above 3 yrs, my milk will not be beneficial to my son? If that's the case, should I just gave to my 16 mths son only??

I think it will still h. Nutritional values but not at the rt portion a 3 yr old needs. Definitely he will benefit fr the antibodies in your nilk

Shirix

I mixed the bm in their fm so they don't notice the different in taste.. I also cannot gave them too much as I need to store some bm for my 3 week daughter now.

Hi,

I continue breastfeed my baby breastfeed, until 2 years old, i'm only new member here as i can read in forum , it shown thier that baby should breastfeed until 2 years old.