Breastfeeding & Smoking

bluechin

BMSG Moderator
A Concerned Mummy PMed me to ask about Bfg and smoking. Thot it will be good to share with others mums who are wondering whether to continue bfg if they can't kick the habit.

Here's my reply to her.

I am glad to be of help. :)

-----------------------------------------

I would say a mom who can't stop smoking should breastfeed too.

Breastfeeding provides many immunities that help your baby fight illness and can even help counteract some of the effects of cigarette smoke on your baby: for example, breastfeeding has been shown to decrease the negative effects of cigarette smoke on a baby's lungs. It's definitely better if breastfeeding moms not smoke, but if you can't stop or cut down, then it is better to smoke and breastfeed than to smoke and formula feed.

The more cigarettes that you smoke, the greater the health risks for you and your baby. If you can't stop smoking, or don't want to stop smoking, it's safer for your baby if you cut down on the number of cigarettes that you smoke.

Smoking has been linked to: Lower milk production, Interference with milk let-down, Earlier weaning, Lower levels of prolactin. The hormone prolactin must be present for milk synthesis to occur.

How to minimize the risk to your baby if you smoke

- The ideal: Stop smoking altogether.

- Cut down. The less you smoke, the smaller the chance that difficulties will arise. The risks increase if you smoke more than 20 cigarettes per day.

- Don't smoke immediately before or during breastfeeding. It will inhibit let-down and is dangerous to your baby.

- Smoke immediately after breastfeeding to cut down on the amount of nicotine in your milk during nursing. Wait as long as possible between smoking and nursing. It takes 95 minutes for half of the nicotine to be eliminated from your body.

- Avoid smoking in the same room with your baby. Even better, smoke outside, away from your baby and other children. Don't allow anyone else to smoke near your baby.

Hope this helps. :)