Breastmilk are getting lesser

Rodorsany

I wonder hw u ladies do it?? Dun u hv to take care of bb?? Latch n change etc?? If bb need attn how u gals pump regularly... My mil does help out but im struggling.. Cant keep to e 3hrly pump at times..

Rodorsany, for my first child, cos I do exclusive pumping, i din latch. so, the schedule is quite fixed. Just that I really sacrifice my zzz a lot to pump at 3 hourly interval. I still rem after 10 mths of pumping, I was still pumping once at 3am everyday and there were times when I just cried when pumping at 3am as I was really sleepy and wanted to zzz. but all paid off well as I saw the benefits of bf and I never regret sacrificing my zzz time to pump. My boy was healthy while on bm and he seldom fall sick even till now (almost 3 yrs).

For my current baby, I am still figuring out how as I wish to latch and pump. wish me luck!

gentlemum

Hi. Ya. I also had the same problem. I was worried about building up milk supply to freeze before going back to work. My hubby after reading all the forum posts, told me to latch and then pump out the rest (ie empty out the breasts). But problem is baby needs attention and does not automatically sleep by herself after feeding, must still be cuddled to sleep and continue cuddling to continue sleeping. There were days i didnt even have time to have lunch and dinner as hubby on overseas work trip and I am alone at home, let alone pump and then wash up afterwards.

It was only after my baby grew older past 3 mths that she could sleep without being cuddled and also when she started to sleep well at night that I manage up pump at those times. I didn't have a regular pumping interval but usually manage to pump an extra feed for freezing after baby goes to bed. I am also taking fernugreek. Supply has increased such that I can freeze an extra 2 feeds a day altho I just got back to work.

I think it is good for working mothers who bf to take at least 12 weeks at a stretch of maternity leave as you will be able to stabilise the milk supply etc by then

Rodorsany

Hi mommies who r pumping in e middle of e night... Is it really more milk?? I usually skip e pump.. But recently i woke up at various timing to pump... But seems not much milk.. Is it bcoz i pump after i latch thats y??? E latch only abt 15~20mins lasted my girl abt 2 hrs

gentlemum

I tried religiously to pump after feeding even tho breasts were quite emptied . Found it waste of time coz very little results. I only pump if breasts still feel full after feeding. I think fernugreek really helped me to increase milk supply. It helped my friend too . Both of us have quite a good stock of unused frozen milk. I took it to build up reserves in case milk supply reduces after going back to work. Of cos after taking it , do religiously pump when breasts are still full after baby finish feeding from latch on. I was either too tired or baby kept me too occupied to pump. Then the milk supply went down again. As for timing of pumping, I find early mornings around 6-7 am providing a good supply.

May I ask for the 3 hours interval, we start counting from the time you pump or the time you stop pumping? For eg like I start at 1pm and ends at 2pm so the next pump will be at 4pm?

andieluv2

diamondfericia:708440 said:
May I ask for the 3 hours interval, we start counting from the time you pump or the time you stop pumping? For eg like I start at 1pm and ends at 2pm so the next pump will be at 4pm?
Its from the time u pump. If u use single.pump then u pump 5mins alternating.each.breast for 30mins. dual pump 15 mins. Wat i.used to do is set routine timing. Like every 3 ,6, 9, 12 pump ard the clock. Lidat u wont confused. If.u are late for eg the 3am pump and u pump at 330am, nvm juz go bck to the 6am next. Do not change the timing. This is to condition ur body to the time to produce milk.

by the way, i would also suggest to have a efficient pump, try not to go beyond 20mins of pumping. unless u do see a couple of letdown u can get after 15mins or the milk is really flowing after 15 mins.

Its from the time u pump. If u use single.pump then u pump 5mins alternating.each.breast for 30mins. dual pump 15 mins. Wat i.used to do is set routine timing. Like every 3 ,6, 9, 12 pump ard the clock. Lidat u wont confused. If.u are late for eg the 3am pump and u pump at 330am, nvm juz go bck to the 6am next. Do not change the timing. This is to condition ur body to the time to produce milk.
I have a hard time tracking my pumping time too. I probably Will go around The clock like you.. I find itquite wasted for me. Though am using the dual pump Pisa, I only used one of the pump as I wan free hand on the other.

Shannyang

I am still bf altot my baby already 13 mths plus. I pump every 6am, 10.30am, 4.30pm and 9.30pm. No latch. Altot supply reducing but so far so good for my baby. He will only drink fm on the last feed to last him longer hr. he took solid food too that's why I only need to supply h
im 2 feeds per day. And I still got some stock left over.

andieluv2

diamondfericia:708473 said:
I have a hard time tracking my pumping time too. I probably Will go around The clock like you.. I find itquite wasted for me. Though am using the dual pump Pisa, I only used one of the pump as I wan free hand on the other.
I think u use the dual pump better. More let down definitely.bcoz i did compare. Amt u get will be like double. If u want handsfree, get a hands free pump bra. I got mine here from a fellow mummy over forum. Think mums and babes sells too. Both abt 50bucks and.i think its really useful if u plan to pump frequently. I have attach a.photo of the bra.

Attachments

Dual pump is more efficient. What I do is I will normally sit cross legged on the bed and then use my thighs to "kiap" the funnel/bottle to my breast so that my hands are free. If not, I will use left arm to "kiap" the left funnel and the left hand to hold the rt funnel. Is like putting my left hand across my chest like tat.

Yes, pumping shd not go beyond 15 min cos is not efficient at all. There will be a let down within the first 2 min. then milk will flow fast out. then, milk flow will slow down a bit. then some pple's flow will be stopped for a while. then at about 10-12 min, another let down will happen. same thing milk will flow out a bit and then stopped (this second cycle of let down to milk flow stop is shorter than the first cycle). The next let down will be quite long after the second let down and the yeild will be much lower. so it is not efficient and not worth to wait for the third let down.

justamom

Currently using the avent single electric pump..only manage to pump enough for next feed..at night bb feeds in fm..having hard time to latch on as he gets frustrated as well.. heard after pump, the breasts empties n no more milk inside to feed? So if pump schedule is at 3..n bb is abt to wake up, so pump or let bb latch? Cos afraid that aft pump there's no more milk supply...

if latching is not a hard chore for u, i will say latch. if baby only take on one breast, then after feed, pump out the rest of milk can help to increase supply also.

by the way, latch baby on for feed when he is sleepy especially at night will not be easily frustrated as compared to day time

justamom

He gets impatient once he feels milk supply is so slow..at night even more cranky..he doesn't n refuses at all to latch.. makes me crazy n gives him my ebm..

if it is really so tough for the both of you, then you may want to consider doing exclusive pumping. It was a hard decision for me to make but in the end, I glad I made the choice cos without the frustrations, both of us can rest well better.

BTW, pump will not empty the breast as well as a baby. so, even tho you felt that you have emptied your breast with the pump, there will still be some milk left in the breast. our breasts will keep producing milk so, usually, after one hour from the last pump or latch, there will still be milk flowing out.

justamom,

don't feel demoralized yet, it takes time and patience yield results. Even less, just give him and top up with FM since yr baby already taking FM ? 60ml is not less, just that body has yet to adjust to produce more :) At least, you have breastmilk for your little one.

Keep it up!

justamom

Yup I am trying but also feeling stressed abt it..60ml is too little for him..barely half of what he drinks...hoping for the day where my bm gets more...before I gives up...thks for yr advice anyway ilovebbdylan...