BreastMilk to Formula Milk

norasilati

My 7months old baby girl is rejecting the formula milk. I am starting to introduce her formula milk since last week but since then she has been rejecting milk. This week is the 3rd brand I am using. I need help. I do not know how to handle it. Now, whenever she sees the milk bottle she will start to cry, so how to make the teat goes inside her mouth? I use syringe instead. So far, it has been going on well, but until how long do I have the patience to use syringe to feed her formula milk. My husband, mix Heinz food(fruits flavour) with the formula milk. I do not know how dangerous it is to do that, but so far my girl is eating the it. I do not want to mix breastmilk with formula milk because I have read it somewhere saying it is not a good idea to do that and at the same time, I feel like will be a waste if she do not drink it. Having to throw the breastmilk is more wasted than to throw the formula milk.

norasilati

ya, i am still breastfeeding, but i am geeting tired to express my milk at work exvery day. I want to stop. My milk is not that much to express it but I have no problem in direct feeding.

Now I am having another problem, my girl is afraid of bottle milk now eversince we introduce formula to her. She thought the bottle does not contain breastmilk. We try to mix the breastmilk with cereal and she rejected it. Now I am stress. I am just afraid that she does not have enough nutrition. Help me!

redgreen

it seems that ur baby only want breastmilk... it's not advisable to mix cereal to the bottle...

about expressing, do you express by hand or pump? may be because you're new with pumping routine so you don't have enough output... pumping mom needs to be relax, not stressed and happy... actually only takes 20 minutes per session, and if you know how to do it, it's quite easy..

how heavy is your baby now? how is she eating the solids? you can try to teach her drink from straw, or a cup. anyway if she's latching on directly from you when you're at home, she should have enough milk intake... she can make up for her insufficient intake during the day...

norasilati

I express using manual pump. Sometimes I am not really relax when pumping because of my work load therefore it is diffucult to concentrate.

I am n ot sure about my baby weigh now. So far, she is taking solid food quite well except she cannot eat Nestle brands food. She will gagg and vomit it out. She is fine with Heinz and Gerber in a bottle foods. We have try Rusks biscuits and there are rashes at the same time one bite and she vomit everything out. So we gave her Gerber puffs (new in the market). She likes that very much.

I want to teach her drinking from cup and straw soon. So far she do not know the technic of drinking from a cup yet cos we have try it. Are you saying maybe I can try to give her formula milk from a cup or straw??

I am happy to hear that ..."if she's latching on directly from me when I am at home, she should have enough milk intake...

lonerjas

hmmm i wish i could BF so long man heehee...

mayb u change a milk bottle??? my NB oso very clever de.. when drinking BF in bottle very fast.. but formula dam slow Zzz

norasilati

I am getting tired. My work load is getting more so I really have no time to express my milk. I am using NUK cos they said NUK teats is almost similar to our teats. Last week, I try giving her the bottle again but this time we use plain water. She drank it at first but not so much, after that she was just playingh with the teats and the water.

jasmineKCL

Hi mummies,

I am currently total breastfeeding my 6-week old boy but thinking of possibly introducing formula milk. May I know what brands of formula milk you are using?
Thanks

eileenpxp

Hi mummies,

I am currently total breastfeeding my 6-week old boy but thinking of possibly introducing formula milk. May I know what brands of formula milk you are using?
Thanks
try NAN or Friso cos these 2 brands are not so thick ...closer subsitutes to breast milk

eileenpxp

ya, i am still breastfeeding, but i am geeting tired to express my milk at work exvery day. I want to stop. My milk is not that much to express it but I have no problem in direct feeding.

Now I am having another problem, my girl is afraid of bottle milk now eversince we introduce formula to her. She thought the bottle does not contain breastmilk. We try to mix the breastmilk with cereal and she rejected it. Now I am stress. I am just afraid that she does not have enough nutrition. Help me!

hi...i can fully understand the stress bout pumping...i also very worried bout going back to work & pumping! Though its my 2nd child...i havent been really bfing much for my 1st one...

workplace also not bfing friendly:( the pumping irritates me a lot as its noisy...but one thing i realise is that you need to understand the technique of pumping to b efficient...

there were times when my breasts were full and i didnt manage to pump out much! Reason is that I was too stressed and placed the pump funnel too close to my breast....resulting in the milk not flowing properly. i believe many mummies may have the same prob...

always rem...place the funnel lightly onto your nipple (to emulate baby sucking) when your breasts are full...

exert more pressure and press harder on your breasts when the milk inside is not so much in order to empty more...

i feel like quitting bfing also when i m back to work...very stressed!

but meanwhile: you should try improving your pumping technique in order to get more output while helping your baby to get adjusted to bottlefeeding...try to ask someone perhaps your hubby to feed baby when she is hungry (i rem reading somewhere to say baby tends to demand latching on when bottled milk is given by mummies...they will drink more obediently when being fed by other pple..)...slowly increase the frequency of bottle feeding and i m sure it works out fine...

:tlaugh:

redgreen

Hi mummies,

Thanks
hi jasmine,

may I know if you're introducing formula because u're going back to work or some other reason? no formula is better than breastmilk :)

redgreen

Mummies,

the key to good pumping output :

1. Be as relax as possible
2. Do breast massage before pumping
3. stimulate nipple softly until there's a milkflow, this is called let down reflex, then start using the pump (especially if you're not using the 2 phase expression by medela)
4. stimulate the letdown again if it's gone
5. don't wait until your breast is full, keep a good schedule like every 3-4 hours.

i pump at work until my son was around 20 months old and kept on breastfeeding at home until he was 2 years old. I never use formula. it's totally doable actually :)

jasmineKCL

Hi Mummy redgreen,

Yes, will be going back to work in about a month's time. Work is quite hectic, so I think will be able to express only at most once during lunch time. So I don't think there will be enough EBM for my son during daytime when I'm at work. Will still continue to breastfeed after working hours.

hi jasmine,

may I know if you're introducing formula because you're going back to work or some other reason? no formula is better than breastmilk :)

norasilati

REPLY TO
redgreen >>>>>

wow! you breastfeed your baby until he is 20months old? I thumbs up to you. IU breastfeed my son until he was 8mths old and my girl is now 8mths so I plan to quit and switch to formula as soon as possible. I do not have the time to express the milk now. My work load is getting pile up. I don't have the patience to wait until she is 2 yrs old to switch to formula. Any, can I ask you, is your son wanting to stop breastmilk when he is 2yrs old; or are you planning to stop at his age is 2yrs old? How do you do it? How do you switch when he is already at 2yrs old? Does he want powder milk? I mean he tasted the breastmilk for almost 2 yrs so can he take formula milk? Share with me please.

jasmineKCL

Hi mschan,

I will continue to breastfeed my baby but thinking of supplementing with formula milk in case unable to express enough milk for him when I start work. I am already expressing and storing milk for the future but realise that each day, i can only express up to amounts for 2 feeds per day. My ebm supply is slow to build up. That's why I'm worried may not not have enough for day feeding when i return to work.

Thanks redgreen and mschan for your advice.

Hi jasmineKCL,
If you're going back to work, I suggest that you still breastfeed your baby. It has always been said that breastmilk is still best for baby. Nothing can substitute it. There are a few tips for breastfeeding mothers who have to work from these articles: 12 Reasons to Breastfeed - Breastfeeding benefits and Breastfeeding Tips for Working Mothers, Singapore. I hope you'll change your mind in using formula milk.

mapletree

try NAN or Friso cos these 2 brands are not so thick ...closer subsitutes to breast milk
have you tried similac or enfalac? i have been supplementing breast milk with similac formula. not sure if it's due to this formula (similac), my six weeks old boy's blocked nose and phlegm situation has not improved. tat's why recently switched to enfalac to see if it helps. has anyone experienced newborn having blocked nose and phlegm? desperately seeking advice on this. :(

norasilati

my baby used to have blocked nose and phlegm when she was 3months old but that was not bcos of formula milk. How old is your baby? I went to the doctor and she prescribed me the blocked nose and phlegm medicine for my baby and after 3 dyas she's fine.

Anyway I have tried Enfalac but my baby does not like it. I have not try Similac yet.

timtams

Mine is a slightly different problem.. My one year old is rejecting formula milk and I'm getting really frustrated. I've changed the bottle to sippy cups to cup with straws to just cup. I've changed 2brands so far and i've resorted to adding fresh milk to 'improve' the taste. Still, to no avail. Any suggestion?

norasilati

Yeah!! Finally my baby drinks formula milk. After struggling since she was 6months old. Now she has just turn 1yr old on 1st April. Somewhere in this forum, one of the mummy said that NAN is nearly similar to breastmilk. So I tried, and my girl drink it. She prefer NAN Pro. I have tried NAN Ha but she rejected it. She is drinking from a sipping cup that has a straw and at night she drink the milk from Munchkin non spill training cup (Munchkin: Mighty Grip™ 8 oz. Trainer Cup).

My baby does not like milk bottle at all because of the teats. I think she has been direct feeding so much that the feeling or taste of the teats is not so nice to her. And so I have trained her using a sipping cup that has a straw and from there onwards I introduce her the Munchkin training cup. Well of cos she does not want it in the beginning but I forced her, and so when she have tasted the formula milk, she open her mouth widely and drink the milk until finish from the training cup.

In total, I have introduced 6 brands of formula milk to her. I have completely stopped breastfeeding when she is 11mths old.