Bringing BM onboard flights

diza

Hi all, need some advice. I'm travelling with my pupils to Brunei in June for 3D2N without my baby. I'm still nursing him. I don't wish to express and throw my precious "liquid gold" away. With the liquid restrictions imposed, any ideas how can I safely bring BM onboard without any complications? I tried searching for info online but to no avail. TIA.

from what i know, the restriction does not apply even if no presence of baby

http://www.tsa.gov/traveling-formula-breast-milk-and-juice

must print out the info and show it to the officer. declare that u are still breastfeeding. they might insist that u allow them to check the breastmilk, just highlight to them to be careful when handling the milk

my mistake, above is for US Airport.

now im quite puzzled whether will all airport practising this rule. think i need to find out as i will be travelling to korea end of june.

Last edited:

diza

I also heard of TSA rule but only in America. Yest I managed to find some info frm Brunei's civil aviation

a) All liquids, gels, aerosols and items with similar consistency should be carried in containers with a capacity not greater than 100ml / 100gm / 3.40z. Items carried in containers larger than 100ml will not be accepted, even if partially filled.

b) Containers should be placed in a transparent and re-sealable plastic bag of a maximum capacity not exceeding 1 litre. The containers must fit comfortably within the transparent plastic bag, which should be sealed.

c) The plastic bag should be presented for visual examination at the screening point. Only one transparent plastic bag per passenger is permitted.

d) Exemptions should be made for liquids, gels and aerosols used for medication, baby milk/foods and special dietary requirements. Passengers may be requested to verify the nature of such liquids, gels and aerosols

From these paragraphs, I'm assuming that its ok to pack my BM in 100ml storage bags and put 10 packets in one big ziplock bag as long as it doesn't exceed 1litre per passenger.. Then prolly I get my colleagues to carry the other bag. I'm intending to bring the big cooler container used for camping/fishing and store all my BM once I cleared custom.

yes, i agree. but i am also afraid their staff at security checkpoint are not well educated enough. personally very worried because we did not carry baby with us.

i advise u to check in early in case of any delays do happen:)

Mreow Mreow

Hi dear.

The ziplock bag is of standard size.

Yes, u can do as u planned.
10pkts, 100ml each
Then all these 10pkts into the 1 ziplock bag.

The ziplock bag, though can contain 1L,
Seems pretty small and I dont think u can fit 10bags of BM in there.
Maybe juz 8/9.

Then give it to the cabin crew once on board n ask them to put in chiller. .
We dont have freezers on board so I dun think u can kp ur BM for more than 3days??

diza

I don't need them to keep my BM for 3 days. The hotel has a mini fridge that I can use. I intend to bring those big cooler box and put ice packs. The flight is only Abt 2 hrs.

diza

Just had a meeting with the travel agency and they will write a request to the airline. Phew...

Just a update:

I was told by Singapore Airline that breastmilk are not allowed as handcarry without a baby at (Seoul - Incheon Airport), not even the 100ml ruling. The most upset part is when i was told even for checked in luggages, it is not allowed. Really really surprised by this.

i thought another expensive option will be DHL,Fedex to ship back. Call them up and realised actually breastfeeding mother who travel and wanted to store their precious gold are still rare. Why is this so, because both of the do not have the import licence to carry BREASTMILK.

So, i am forced to discard all milk for my korea trip. I will stil try my luck to bring a cooler and ice pack to check in as luggages, Hopefully i can succeed.

hueychye79

Just a update:

I was told by Singapore Airline that breastmilk are not allowed as handcarry without a baby at (Seoul - Incheon Airport), not even the 100ml ruling. The most upset part is when i was told even for checked in luggages, it is not allowed. Really really surprised by this.

i thought another expensive option will be DHL,Fedex to ship back. Call them up and realised actually breastfeeding mother who travel and wanted to store their precious gold are still rare. Why is this so, because both of the do not have the import licence to carry BREASTMILK.

So, i am forced to discard all milk for my korea trip. I will stil try my luck to bring a cooler and ice pack to check in as luggages, Hopefully i can succeed.
Hi,

Why not you try to call the Incheon airport to check regards your concern.

I am going to have a business trip to Hong Kong and I am purposely call to the airport custom to check regards the breastmilk as well.

Hi,

Why not you try to call the Incheon airport to check regards your concern.

I am going to have a business trip to Hong Kong and I am purposely call to the airport custom to check regards the breastmilk as well.
SIA officer did mention they called the custom and verify with them. But i will need to confirm again just got the korea custom number from korea embassy.

diza

OMG.. I'd definitely cry if I have to throw those milk away! I'm going to bring my baby's birth cert as well on my trip just to show them I have an infant and make sure I have loads of baby's pic in my hp... Actually, I read somewhere online that some mommies pack BM in their check in luggage but its frozen one and put in loads of ice. By the time they reach home, the EBM is still frozen.

yes, i will try to pack into my checked in luggage with fridge to go bag.

actually i am very concern on flight delay etc due to all these issue. because it is korea custom, i am even worried as their officers are not very friendly most of the time.

hopefully u and me can get thrg.

dinoshan

Hey ilovebbdylan, when is your trip and for how long? I am also travelling to Korea end of June for 12 days and intend to bring back frozen breast milk :(

diza

Sigh... Travel agent called and said Brunei Airline don't allow me to hand-carry BM if travelling without infant! Felt so pissed leh! I'm considering askin my hubby and baby to follow me or pack EBM in check in luggage..

diza,
most probably u got to check in as luggage. i intend to use 2 milkbag for each pack to double seal and protect the milk from air pressure and leaks.

for you, i think it can work because the flight are shorter.

my only problem now is to consider to checked in as a separate luggage or pack the whole thing into my luggage. i am so afraid they might ask me what the separate luggage contains. seriously, i find them so unreasonable if they do not allow checked in liquids. what more they want us to do.

diza

My luggage is medium sized and my cooler box is able to fit inside the luggage but hubby told me to pack it in such a way that all the item won't be able to move abt. So gonna bring masking tape, lots of ziplock bags to double seal the EBM, gel ice packs and newspapers if need to make it more compact. Lol.. I'm flying in 2 weeks time. Will update my "adventure" once I come back. Even when travelling as a big group, the airline won't budge.. Sigh...

diza

I'm back from my overseas school trip and managed to transport all my EBM safely! =D

I brought a small cooler box and bought 2 packs of ice gel from Daiso for $2 each. Each ice gel weighs 1kg. Then I put the ice gels and all my chilled EBM in the cooler box. I even put a damp face towel inside the box just to trap the coldness.

I packed my luggage the night before I checked out. After checking out, I went on a day tour with the pupils. My luggage was left inside the tour bus. By the time I reached home and unpacked my luggage, it was more than 24 hr. The ice gels were still half frozen and all my EBM was still cold even after 24hrs!!!

And pls do not bring any ice pack or ice gel onboard. Customs officer may confiscate the items. You can bring empty bottles even if the capacity is more than 100ml. I expressed milk onboard and then I asked the cabin crew to fill a small ziplock bag with ice cubes to keep it in the cooler bag.

Last edited: