bringing your infant out by yourself

unheardof

I have plans to bring 2 months old out for shopping and high tea. The thoughts of handling a stroller, 2 mths old and diaper bag seems daunting. Share your experience managing it alone.

NeSSa

usually will hang the diaper bag (inside is my wallet,diapers in a bag,milk powder n bottle) on the stroller and put my son in the stroller...and walk to mrt...

cn naz

Please be careful mommies, u have seen some strollers fell backwards with the baby inside when the moms put the diaper bag on the handles.

ftlad

It's best not to put the diaper bag behind the stroller.

For me, I don't stay near the mrt so I usually take a cab. I will use a carrier to carry my baby (now toddler). No easy feat I must say.

Rodorsany

I will put e bag in e basket. Hang only things like towel bean bag... Push to mrt keke usually will plan route n timing as im still pumping

unheardof

I usually would use a carrier but going for lunches, it's best to have a stroller. I do not stay near mrt too. Hence, can only take cab.

cn naz

i would put my wallet and essential things in the diaper bag, so no need to carry 2 bags. the challenge is only holding the baby and folding or opening the stroller with one hand. after that, the rest is easy coz can ask the cab driver for help putting the stroller in the trunk. it gets easier with practice hehehehehe

for me, i started taking baby out when she turns one and half mth. I put her in a carrier.

If I am going somewhere near home, i carry a wristlet with my money and some cards. then another small pouch which is attached to the wristlet by means of a carbina to put a bib, tissue and 2 small hanky. I latch her so i travel quite light. My baby doesn;t poo tat often so I seldom carry diaper

If I am going somewhere far, I carry a small bag to put all the things.

A carrier is easier to manage if going out alone with baby but then if you are having meals outside, is going to be tricky. I tried a few times eating out with baby in the carrier while eating. I can only order things that are easy to eat like rice. no soup, no noodles.

felicity

When I'm out alone I usually use the carrier. So far I've used the stroller twice when out w bb alone n both times I took the train... Only down side is I keep having to wait for lifts :p

I put everything into one bag too... Initially is use a diaper bag but now I'm using a big bag. I put all the bb stuff (diapers, wipes, extra set of rompers, hanky n nursing apron) into a diaper bag organizer n my stuff (keys, phone, cards, wallet, etc) into a handbag organizer, and both organizers fit well into my big bag which I carry on my shoulder whether I use carrier or stroller :)

But have to beware.. I try not to go out during peak hours if I'm taking train. Always can't get into the cabin zzz:) if taxi is quite easy... No issue. Jus have make sure the mall you go to is kid friendly. Need the nursing room to feed or change bb

B3b3

hi all, a new mum here. if I bring my bb out and warm the ebm to feed her in bottle. After that the bottle just wash with warm water and re-use the next feed? or need to sterilise?

I would bring 2 bott out if I hv to feed her twice outside. ESP if is baby. But when my son was older like after 8-9 mths, sometimes, I would wash with those bott detergent then just before I was going to feed, I sterilize the bott by pouring hot water inside and swirl the water a bit

What i do? I wear my baby! I either use a sling or a k'tan to bring her anywhere I want. I breastfeed too thus I don't need to bring large bags. I only bring 2 disposable diapers and wipes if ever she wets her nappies. :) Try to look for Babywearing and you'll be amazed! ((:)

missyqiqi

i started bringing my girl out when I finish my confinement. I love it.. even until now she is about 19months, I still bring her out quite often when I'm on leave or when hubby is working.

I have diaper bag hang on my stroller, my stroller is quite big and heavy so it doesn't fall when I hang my diaper bag, so I carry other bag which I put my wallet, handphone etc inside. I only carry my baby out of the stroller when I need to bf, other than that I will let her sleep inside. Then we she started drinking EBM (put in cooler bag), i bring only one bottle out, but I bring out a small bottle liquid washer also (sample size, which I have alot), to wash and i bring one big hot flask to warm the milk. My stroller is big, so I can put quite a number of stuff. Which really makes my shopping or going out a lot easier.

when bf i bring my shawl/bf cover to cover myself.

Things inside my diaper bag: moisturizer cream, bottle liquid wash, laundry detergent (just in case my girl vomit etc i can wash coz i cannot take the milk smell), insect repellent, lotion powder, diapers, diaper cream, blanket, bean pillow, wipes, hot flask, extra clothing.
when she's older i add in > travel spoon/fork, water bottles, milk bottle, milk powder in sachets (i sign up for all milk powder newsletter, so they will send when my daughter reach certain age), otherwise I will put milk powder in a small sterile bottle and just scope whatever amt I need, small snacks.

mei2009

Just to share..

I use a carrier instead of stroller cos I take public transport and my stroller is huge and baby sometimes cannot stay there for long especially when we're not moving. When he was younger, I used a sling. Now, I use a front carrier. But if your baby is ok with it, a stroller is much more convenient for the mummy. At least you can see what you're doing when you go to the toilet hoho!

I carry one bag for his diapers etc, and milk bottle and powder and food warmer when I stopped breastfeeding and when he started solids. My wallet and an umbrella go inside too. It helps to wear bottoms with pockets to contain phone and ezlink card for quick access.

One trick - my milk bottle contains hot or warm water, depending on when I expect him to feed. Usually, by the time he is hungry, the water is of ok temperature so I can make milk for him anywhere. Even when I was breastfeeding, as I used a sling, I could just turn to any wall, latch and carry on walking while nursing! Just wear double layer so that torso is well covered when your top is lifted up, unless you're wearing those nursing tops with slits.

I have brought him out to many places to meet friends, have lunch, have tea, go baby spa - all on my own. With the sling, I could even go to the toilet with him! Love my sling - when he was about six weeks old and still sleeping lots, I even let him nurse and sleep in the sling while hubby and I caught movies :p When he could sit, life got even better - I no longer have to eat with baby between me and my food, can put him in a baby chair.

Have faith, plan well, and bringing baby out on your own will be manageable! Good luck! :)

hi all

what r some of the recommendations of carriers n slings if i want bring my baby out myself?

btw does ur baby cry when u bring him/her out? for eg to unfamiliar places such as frens' house n shopping malls? n how do u deal wif such situation?

I am using Manduca carrier. Really the best!!! Both my kids could zzz inside for 2 hours while I shop n best of all, I do not hv aches after tat!! I carried my son till he's 2 yr plus till he decides tat he wants to run more than b carried. I started to carry my daughter when she's just passed 1 mth. Never regret buying this carrier!!!
Hmmm... Both my kids have not been cranky when going to unfamiliar places. Mayb bcos I started bringing them out when they r quite young. I read not recommended to put baby face out when in carrier cos position is not Gd for groin n also facing them out can overwhelm them when they see so many things ard. Best position is to put baby facing you in the carrier so she feels secure