BTO Result

Triquetra

The BTO result for March 2011 is out.
Once again, I don't even have a queue number because it's not within the 300%.

My husband, daughter and I are currently living in a small common room with fixed cupboard and window so it is hard to rearrange the furniture to make space.

I am currently expecting my no. 2 and I really have no idea where is she going to sleep after delivery.

This is i think the 4th time I am applying for a BTO and I have also applied under Married Child Priority Scheme.

What should I do? Is there any way to appeal?

Ting

Look for MP, they shld be able to help. if not u might wanna consider renting a place from HDB or get a resale.

Triquetra

I checked with HDB and we are not eligible to rent a flat from them directly. Resale's COV is too high at the moment and we need some cash for emergency especially now that my second child is coming.

I tried asking the MP's help but HDB only gave me a very general reply stating that they can only offer flat through balloting exercise.

I guess I shall have to wait for the next Sale of Balance flats if still cannot then resale. Not much of a choice despite the merits of my situation.

huiyin87

Hi dear,

do look for the MP for assistance during meet the people session, they might be able to appeal to HDB for you. i have read on forum of a mummy whom with the MP letter, she managed to appeal for a flat from HDB quite some time ago.

btw, i also applied 4 consecutive times and failed, but surprisingly the 5th time, i got a very front queue number..

Otherwise, get a resale flat, they have many forms of subsidies to help 1st time buyers so its quite a relief for young adults now.
good luck for u! =)

Don't need to waste your time on mp. They cannot do anything. I see a total of 3 different mp. Result is waste of my time. I also give up on looking for flat form hdb. I even come out newspaper also no use. They will not help coz if they help one they must help a lot others.have been looking for hs for one whole yr liao still nv gt.

ling.er

i gt mine when i apply on the 3rd time .. as for the 1 & 2nd time i was nt working Then 3rd time i was working part time.. I wonder izit due to the income tat y nt success or izit tat we so suay till cant get it.. Cos my fren Marry but no kids she apply more than 10 time nt even a chance to get it.. She was so piss off... :eek:10:

Triquetra

i gt mine when i apply on the 3rd time .. as for the 1 & 2nd time i was nt working Then 3rd time i was working part time.. I wonder izit due to the income tat y nt success or izit tat we so suay till cant get it.. Cos my fren Marry but no kids she apply more than 10 time nt even a chance to get it.. She was so piss off... :eek:10:
My friends not married, applied with her bf also got it.
Hehe... I guess it's just my mine. I did manage to get an unit from the Sale of Balance flats exercise.
$300k for a huge 5 rm sounds really good but it's at Jalan Bahar =.="

Perhaps I am too particular >.<"

Triquetra

Don't need to waste your time on mp. They cannot do anything. I see a total of 3 different mp. Result is waste of my time. I also give up on looking for flat form hdb. I even come out newspaper also no use. They will not help coz if they help one they must help a lot others.have been looking for hs for one whole yr liao still nv gt.
I think it's more sensitive when it comes to housing, they have to practise fairness in a way or another. I am sure they are willing to bend their policies a little but it depends on the severity of your situation.

When I seen the MP for unfair termination during my previous employment, it helped and I got my compensation. Despite not having the standard procedure in obtaining the government paid maternity. MCYS also helped me to claim that.

ling.er

My friends not married, applied with her bf also got it.
Hehe... I guess it's just my mine. I did manage to get an unit from the Sale of Balance flats exercise.
$300k for a huge 5 rm sounds really good but it's at Jalan Bahar =.="

Perhaps I am too particular >.<"
Wooo it really sound good. Cos mine 4rm + choose the unit alrs it cost 400k+ = =" super ex lei ... I duno hw to effort lo.. Haiz But is lcated @ Bukti Panjan

Triquetra

Wooo it really sound good. Cos mine 4rm + choose the unit alrs it cost 400k+ = =" super ex lei ... I duno hw to effort lo.. Haiz But is lcated @ Bukti Panjan
Jalan Bahar a lot more ulu.
Furthermore the remaining units are all second floor and the block number is 274 so on... LOL

I agree so issue u may want to ask mp for help but definitely not housing. My housing issue is a serious one but they also say no to me. Even the newspaper reporter pity me but not the hub and gov. Don believe u can try. No use de.

Gem2505

i'm one of the extremely unlucky one that doesnt have any luck at all during all my 8 balloting sessions with HDB over more than 2years! from yishun, to punggol, to 3 times of balanced sales flat, etc.
from havent married, till engaged, till married, till i preg, den till delivery.
seen the MP MULTIPLE times. at least 3 times over this period, seriously, NOTHING improves! all the nonsense replies from HDB with all sorts of excuses. i got 0 faith in them.
well, that also shows why this GE, why all the opp parties % went up.

ard me, i have another 4 couples, same situation like me! seriously, its extremely frustrating!

end up, my husband n i turned into resale market. but with not much budget, we bot a 3rm flat.
cov was at a low range, 13K! but the whole house, has to do extreme make over. 100% renovation!

we struggle thru with the help of my inlaws for renovation. the rest we had to bear it ( from furniture to accessories, etc )
finally, everything's settled now. n its time to repay LOAN to my inlaws. 35K! dunno need to pay how long sia.
with my newborn now, expenses went up. its really difficult to survive man.
i think we really have to save hard n get out of sg! its crazy~

Triquetra

i'm one of the extremely unlucky one that doesnt have any luck at all during all my 8 balloting sessions with HDB over more than 2years! from yishun, to punggol, to 3 times of balanced sales flat, etc.
from havent married, till engaged, till married, till i preg, then till delivery.
seen the MP MULTIPLE times. at least 3 times over this period, seriously, NOTHING improves! all the nonsense replies from HDB with all sorts of excuses. i got 0 faith in them.
well, that also shows why this GE, why all the opp parties % went up.

around me, i have another 4 couples, same situation like me! seriously, its extremely frustrating!

end up, my husband n i turned into resale market. but with not much budget, we bot a 3rm flat.
cov was at a low range, 13K! but the whole house, has to do extreme make over. 100% renovation!

we struggle thru with the help of my inlaws for renovation. the rest we had to bear it ( from furniture to accessories, etc )
finally, everything's settled now. n its time to repay LOAN to my inlaws. 35K! dont know need to pay how long sia.
with my newborn now, expenses went up. its really difficult to survive man.
i think we really have to save hard n get out of sg! its crazy~
Actually housing is more affordable in Singapore as to compare to China, Hong Kong and Japan. I have a few friends who haven't got married but managed to get their BTOs so I guess it's really just how unlucky we are...

So I guess it's not the government's fault. Housing is expensive but at least we got through recession etc faster than our neighbouring countries :)

Gem2505

Actually housing is more affordable in Singapore as to compare to China, Hong Kong and Japan. I have a few friends who haven't got married but managed to get their BTOs so I guess it's really just how unlucky we are...

So I guess it's not the government's fault. Housing is expensive but at least we got through recession etc faster than our neighbouring countries :)
Hmm.. Housing prices keep going up but our salary dont.
I guess our kid's generation cfm will have big prob in getting affordable housing.

Edwinie

Hmm.. Housing prices keep going up but our salary dont.
I guess our kid's generation cfm will have big prob in getting affordable housing.
ya.. agree with u.. 7 years ago when i was in sec sch, i was deciding whether to go poly or jc. poly starting pay was $1.8k. i just spoke to my friend recently about poly starting pay. he said about 1.8k to 2k. imagine the inflation for the past 7 years and how much the starting pay has increased! i really feel sad for the next generation.. and my son too. all prices increase but salary are not! plus almost every year university cost increases.. but university starting pay is not much higher either! it used to be 2.4k. now the average is about 2.8k for biz courses. imagine the rest of the cohort who take other courses like engineering or arts subjects.. >.< when i go uni, the fees was 7.5k per year. now 4 years later, it's close to 10k.

living here is getting tougher and tougher. there are few govt subsidies. forced cpf savings (in some sense it's good. but i read about how cancer treatments can't use medisave.. how to survive when it's the top few causes of death in sg?)

we do not have a choice to live in the outskirts like hong kong, japan or china! people in those countries have a choice to live further away from the city centre which have cheaper housing (japan for example has good subway network is well-connected). 30 years of mortgage for a 99-year lease, and whether there will be enough money for retirement is no joke. i don't see how affordable people can make it out to be. yes, we can own a home, but the downside is that we have to give somewhere. we might have lesser funds to retire and our children might need to take a loan for their uni! (i try to be loan-free as much as i can. i don't like the idea of paying interest.)

i have problems with how the government prices our hdb flats. i mean new ones, not resale. it can be much cheaper than what it is! not sure why they want to stick to the current pricing model. =(

i failed bto twice.. hope to get 1 soon.

Triquetra

I am in the recruitment industry, maybe you can try to look out for a better paying job if your pay hasn't increased much. Afterall, it's your employer who is paying you... unless you are from the government sector.

Poly starting pay was lower than 1.8k but of course it also depends on your field of study.

Local uni can be paid by CPF while government is improvising on the usage of medisave.

If you really don't mind location and floor etc, housing can be really affordable. I had jalan bahar huge 5 rm flat available at 300k.

Government is actually doing something but of course implementation of regulation will take time. They need to 'test market' and see hows the market reaction, consequences etc. A drastic drop will definitely affect the current flats owner. If you have just purchased a 400k flat, do you want someone to come and de-value your flat to 300k out of a sudden?

Last edited:

Edwinie

HDB is called public housing for a reason, to provide housing for all and making it affordable. if i buy a house for investment purpose, i will like it to increase in price and of course, sell at a profit. this is a totally different thing from public housing.

to me, a house is a roof over my head. owning one makes me feel secure. how high the valuation increases doesn't matter to me. i plan to buy a home and stay there until i die. i'm not those kind who buy and sell and shift here and there. that's y i don't understand why the govt want to increase the value of our homes. i don't get the increased value in cold hard cash unless i sell. if i sell, i need more cash to buy a similar unit. i will only get the profit if i downgrade.

housing is still affordable to me now. i need a 5-room flat because i'm housing 6 person and i want each and every one of them to live comfortably and have their own private space as much as possible. but 5-room gets the least subsidy. thank goodness my mum brought me up and gave me a good education so that with my salary, i can afford it comfortably as of now. i can still afford 2 kids (i have 1 now). my ideal is 3-4 kids. but realistically speaking, the way cost is increasing, i'll only have 2 max.

i'm going to graduate soon. hopefully i can get a good starting pay. and then save up the down payment from there. i just hope the prices remain the same for BTO and not go up when i finally save up for the downpayment and renovation. >.<

Triquetra

So afterall Singapore is still a meritocracy society which requires us to work hard as individual to achieve our goals :)

My friend was complaining about the government and blamed them for how she could only have a kid but then again she managed to pay 70k for renovation and 4k for a mattress and buy branded bags every now and then so I really don't know if the blaming part is justifiable.

Edwinie

yup! meritocracy. if not for my parents, i won't be where i am today. i'm lucky to be born in a middle income family.

on the other hand, people in the lower income family might have lesser access to education (e.g. tuition classes with good tuition teachers) and lesser chance to lead a better life there after. i'm not saying they won't excel. just that they have to work much harder than me or a rich person. rich parents would have the resources to give their child a good education and would have the connections to better work opportunities for their children. so for the lower income group, it will be tough for them to break out of that cycle and they might have problems affording a bigger flat for large families.

btw, i don't understand this part. don't know if anyone can explain to me. if i buy a BTO at $400,000 at a 99-year lease, each year, the value should decrease by $400,000/99 per year and reaches $0 at the 99th year. But apparently, i can sell at $430,000 + $20,000 COV 10 years down the road despite a lease of 89 years left. shouldn't depreciation occur? i don't understand why people will be willing to pay more for something that last shorter.

Triquetra

There are a lot of financial aids and scholarship available for those lower income. Sometimes we just don't know what are the options available.

Profits from HDB are kept as reserves and also redistributed to help those who really cannot afford housings.

People are getting resale because it is faster. Myself has also tried for more than 2 years :(