Burping necessary aft breast feeding?

Hi mummies,

I always encountered difficulty in burping my boy aft bf. Sometimes, it took me 20 minutes or longer to burp him but no valid. I tried all sort of methods to burp him...haiz...failed! When I put him dw to slp, he vomited milk... My lactation nurse mentioned that bf babies no need to burp but I felt that be it bf or bttl fed, bb shld be burp. What r yr advise?

cmeilim

Hi mummies,

I always encountered difficulty in burping my boy after bf. Sometimes, it took me 20 minutes or longer to burp him but no valid. I tried all sort of methods to burp him...sigh...failed! When I put him dw to sleep, he vomited milk... My lactation nurse mentioned that bf babies no need to burp but I felt that be it bf or bttl fed, baby shld be burp. What r yr advise?

i seldom burped my breastfed baby and he also seldom vomitted milk out. if i don't remember wrongly, LC and PD told me breastfed babies don't really need to be burped bcos if the latch is correct, the suction is complete and there is little incidence of baby sucking in air while being nursed, unlike bottle-feeding where babies can suck in air while drinking milk via the teat.

allycat

I burp Quan whenever I switch side and sometimes a takes a long time for him to burp too. But I will usually continue to feed on the other side if he doesnt burped after 10 min.

Humpty

Absolutely yes for me otherwise he will get colic. I try to burp him for 2 minutes after each feed. If he doesn't burp then its okay, I'll let him rest inclined @ about 30 degrees for a while (e.g. in a rocker) before tucking him to bed. Otherwise he will burp up quite a bit of milk or complain of wind.

Sometimes the wind is caused by the contents of the breast milk. I'm lactose intolerant, so when I take any dairy products (e.g. milk, ice cream, etc) my baby gets especially gassy as well. Cutting out these foods really helped for me.

Verona's

I burped my girl all the time for awhile only if she can burp out now she will or else i carry her up right postion walk walk awhile she will burp , if she didn't she will vomit out some milk :)

henny

I usually burp my baby after feeds. However, for night feeds, i'll not burp her if she has fallen asleep. :wong19: