Burping

Lana17

Hi mummies,

I was wondering if you burp your baby after each feed.. i was told that baby digest faster on breast feeding than bottle and not necessary need burping if totally on bf.

My 7 weeks girl will sometime 'auto' burp when she is still latching and continue drinking. sometime when I put her on up right position when she's finished, she will split milk out , maybe she drank too much :07:

lyra

The book on breastfeeding wrote no need to burp but I realised I still need to burp my baby, perhaps because he couldn't latch very well yet and suck in air.

Spitting milk is normal if he's healthy and he didn't spit out too much. My baby spit all over, dirty our clothes, his clothes, his bed, our bed and even on the shopping mall carpet when we brought him out... and its frustrating but it goes away when he's about 4 months old, when he's stomach is more mature to retain the milk in his tummy and not spit out. My mom said spitting is good as it means baby has had more than enough milk to drink. haha.

I read somewhere that if the latching is correct, then baby wouldn't need to be burped as baby will not take in air when sucking. However, the nurses at KKH told me that I need to burp the baby after each feed.

I do burp my baby after feeds during the first 2 months, thereafter, not all the time.

cn naz

My nurses also told me to burp my baby after each feed or when changing sides of the breast. Now I bottle feed my baby and still burp her after feeding, although sometimes she would fall asleep and refuse to burp.