C-Section Procedure / Experience

Jofeny

Hi there,

For the beneft of those mummies who are going thru C-section, do allow me to share with you the details so that you will not be so scared and worried on the actual day. I actually opt for C-sect as Im afraid of the labour.. and I think Epi is not enough to make me less worried. I had my operation at 8am at TMC.

Previous Night:
- 1130pm Fasting starts (no food, if really need water is jus sips. But best dun intake anything)

Actual Day:
- 545am check in at TMC
- 600am asked to go ward and prepare my self.
- 610am. changed into ward clothes, removed pubic hair, insert the medication to clear bowels (low placenta mummies cant use the usual medication which they insert into the hole. The effect will be 2 mins. Best to hold the urge to go toilet as long as possible so that more will be cleared. Basically they pumped in air and water), drink like 20ml of very acidic drink, do paper work before going operating theater
- 700am Pushed on bed to waiting room (open area with only curtains, there are abt 6-8 slots for beds), all waiting to go operation.
- 730am Anethesiologist arrived and brief me of the medication she will put on me. Basically 4 injections (2 small, 2 big jabs).
- 745am Pushed into the operating room. Laying on my back. Jab 1: local jab (small jab) on hand to numb my hand. Jab 2: insert the bigger needle so that I can be put on drip. I opt to donate my cord blood, hence, she draw some blood as well. Laying sideways and curled up. Jab 3: local jab (small jab) to numb my back to prepare for the big jab. Jab 4 (Big jab to numb my lower body). Pain or not? basically the local jab are relatively a little more painful than the big ones cos they are not numbed. On a scale of 10, the pain is about 6 for both small jabs. Big jabs no feel at all. I dont know if Im cold, scared or because of the Jabs, i was shivering throughout. I asked for more blankets and i need to adjust my pillow (baby is big and I cant lay on my back flat). The Anethesiologist attended to me personally. My view, very impt to get a gynae or anethesiologist that is close to your heart. The gynae is going to cut you, you will feel vulnerable. The nurses actually ignore me when I want more blankets cos they are so busy getting ready. Im so thankful the anethesiologist is so kind to bring me all those things i need.
- 805am Nurses prepare the curtains and block me from my tummy view. After the jabs, feel a sudden coldness from my back down to my legs. it feels like numb (the needles feeling when your legs are inactive for a long time). At this time they insert the urine tube into my bladder. Can feel sense of touch, but cant feel sense of pain.
- 810am: Gynae pinched my tummy and asked if I have any feel, I dont. Then gynae says ok I will start soon. You will see baby soon, dont worry. Begin operation
- 815am: Gynae instructed the 2 nurses standing behind me to push my tummy to help baby to come out. One nurse on my left, one nurse on my right.
- 823am: Baby is out. The first cry is not loud, sounds like got water in lungs. SO worried baby is not well. But after a few cries, OMG, the cry is so LOUD. THe nurse cleaned the baby, and put the baby on my chest. Forced a smile and took a few photos. The warmth and the baby weighing down on my chest, really hard to describe the feeling. Hubby follow baby up to the baby room (baby needs to be in heater for 3 hrs). I was stitched up (15mins). Pushed to my ward.
- until 10am: Still shivering until fell asleep. Cant even use my iphone. fingers are shaking. Fell asleep.
- 1130am: See baby :)
- Until end of first day. Was ok. not much pain cos of the pain killers.

2nd Day:
- Lesser pain killers. removed urine bag. Was asked to walk 3 times a day.
- first walk was bad. i took 1hr to walk to the toilet which is 2m from me. (30mins to flip to my side and stand up, 30mins to walk). Very pain and tired, dont dare to pee - might be pain of the urine tube being draw out (can feel the pressure difference between my body and the environment. Have a feeling the urine wont come out.) HUbby helped to remove undies/change my bloody pads as I totally cant balance myself, I have to hold on the support in the toilet. Too tired (lucky in single room), hubby took a chair for me and i zz at the door of my toilet.
- Friends and visitors come. rested on bed.
- 2nd walk is better. took half the time to walk and flip.
- 3rd walk is better again. Just took 15mins for whole process to go toilet.

3rd Day:
- Can walk longer distance 20m. Tummy a lot of gas/noise. At some time, it sounds like those door which is rusty sound when you try to open/close.

4th Day:
- Go home

In summary, the whole process is not as scary. The jabs are frankly ok in my opinion. Of course first time going into an operating theater is scary. But with the jabs is really quite painless at the wound (of cos u have to eat the pain killers). First 2 months the scar will b more painful, you will be scared of coughing and sneezing, but after that is generally ok.

Hope this helps mummies! Good luck.
[h=3][/h]

sphyaw

Hi Jofeny,
Did you breastfeed after C-section? Any problems you encounter? I am afraid of labor too, so am considering C-section. Really? first walk took you an hour, and pain during urination?

Jofeny

Yup, I'm bf till now. Not much issues for bf.. I took my pump to hospital to get my breastmilk started.

Yup 1st walk is one hr.. From laying on my back to flipping to my side, to walking to the toilet. I think this is quite normal, I think natural is the same. Furthermore, natural is at the vaginal itself. First urination for natural will b more painful too I guess. be it natural or c sect, there is bound to have a day of pain.

For c sect, it's more of the "pressure difference" between in the body n outside. Thats how i feel it n that's whats causing the pain. But the pain is really half a day affair so u dun have to fear too much n u will b on painkillers too. Pls take your painkillers ESP the first week. It is really helpful.

Jofeny

Hope I din scare u. It's not meant to b scary. I think the real pain comes on day 2, which is after bb out. So u dun have to worry. Just bear with it.

Whenever I feel v pain in hospital, I request the nurse to push my bb to me. N looking at your baby, half a day of pain of walking n peeing is really nothing. U wun feel the pain automatically after u see your bb.

hi,

The side effects from the epidural and the pain depends on individual.Mine is emergency csect. I had the shivers while in the labour ward but it intensified in the operating theatre. It was so bad my teeth were chattering and hubby had to hug me cos i felt so cold.

I also threw up once in the labour ward abt 3 hours after the epidural was administered.

After the op on day 1. attached to the drip so couldn't move much but no pain probably cos epidural still effective? Took painkillers as advised by the nurse.But i managed to take a shower before my parents came. haha! Pushed the drip stand thing into the toilet as well!

Day 2, could walk about without pain but cos scared affect the wound so walked slowly. Managed to walk to the babies room about 15 metres away and back.Still took painkillers cos the nurse insisted.

By day 3, stopped the painkillers, Gynae came and checked and said i could be discharged. Usually it's after the 4th day but i guess depends on your wound? I stayed another day becuse my gal had jaundice and the PD wanted her to stay for another day so hubby and me also stayed just so we could all go hm together

paradox

hello mummies! my sil just found out she's expecting her first child and would like to find out how much does it cost nowadays for a c-sect? who would u recommend as a good female gynae? tia!

cn naz

Hi, i had a c-sect, too. But i was not given meds to clear bowel, only a small amount of med to drink to prevent me from throwing up. Recovery for me was fast :)

Jofeny

hello mummies! my sil just found out she's expecting her first child and would like to find out how much does it cost nowadays for a c-sect? who would u recommend as a good female gynae? tia!
My Gynae is Adelina Wong from Tmc.
C sect is abt 1k-2k more than natural birth. The bill is quite complicated, so Duno really how much is for the c sect, how much is for the extra day in hospital n etc. N depending on the number of bed u choose..

Mine overall is abt 12k+ (gynae, baby, single bed, c sect)

pipilili

since we are at the topic of c-section, may i ask if your c-sect wound recoverd nicely?

did you have alot of lochia after c-sect?

i am a mom of one and my csect wound has healed nicely.....i delivered at kkh but my doc has moved to private practice.

Jofeny

duno how u define "nicely" but the scar is below the bikini line so i think its still ok. The scar is still there, i duno if it will disappear totally though..