C-section with epidural or GA?

Ladies, just want to seek advice on having c-sec with epidural or GA? I'm almost 35 weeks and baby is still in transverse breech position (horizontal lie across the belly). My gynae is pretty certain the he is unable to turn cuz of his BIG size. Hence, she has scheduled me to undergo c-sec in 3 weeks time at 38n weeks.

The big question now is whether to go for an epidural or GA. On one hand, I really want to be able to see my baby immediately. On the other, I'm afraid I'll freak out on the operating table since I'm awake throughout the whole procedure.

Would appreciate if mummies who have gone through c-sec on epidural share your experiences.

Thanks so much!

ecila23

No time for freak out because everything were too fast... I chose epidural as advised by my gynae, u will feel the pain immediately once u wake up with GA but epidural can last for one day after u wake up...

Vincher

Hi, I'm new in the forum, just join today!

For me I had both epidural and GA. I wanted a vaginal delivery but my baby couldn't go down to my pelvis and her rate drop when I have contractions, thus my doctor told me to go for emergency c-section. At that point I already had epidural on me, my lower body is so numb I can't even move my legs and I feel horrible. Doctor asked me if I wanted GA or continue with epidural, I said GA as I was very scared to be at the operating theatre awake. Doctor said I better take GA if I am scared. If not, will affect them on the operating theatre as I might freak out.

If you are really afraid, choose GA, don't make yourself confuse. :)

Dreamrat

I have both too. Initially, I was on epidural. But my tolerance for pain is too low. I still feel the pain when I was on my way to emergency c-sec. I still feel the extreme pain... Then my Gynae suggested me to take GA. I just accepted it.

Maybe u have to decide based on ur pain tolerance. For me, I will opt for GA for my next baby...

ftlad

I had epidural. D anaesthetist let me inhale laughing gas as he inserts d IV n epidural injection. I felt very nauseous, shiver and vomit during d time my gynae operates on me. But d moment my bb was out I felt all tat was worth! :)

U can hear his/her 1st cry, seeing how beautiful he/she is, u will forget all your discomfort.

I had 7 major non-pregnancy surgeries b4 so I know how GA is like. I will only encourage GA during emergency c-section or if u are really afraid u will freak out. Cuz if u freak out it will affect your heartbeat rate n in turn may affect bb.

If I'm to have a 2nd one I will go for epidural again. :)

Mecy

I had GA for my first child too... Woke up feeling really drowsy and also felt the pain in my c section.. So this time round, I think I will go for c section with epidural.

andieluv2

definitely.epidural!! first.i think its simple-insert epi catheter into spine then thats it. GA got.alot.more.complication. epidural has.lesser down time.bcoz iy doesnt affect ur conscious level. u are awake thru out and hence.can njoy the first moment ur darling is out.

rEpuLsiOn

I went for GA.. As was afraid of lying on the operating table and hearing those instruments sounds.. Everything was good.. Did not feel any pain when I was awake.. If you are really afraid will advise GA..

Thanks ladies for all your sharings! Seems like we've got a tie between epidural & GA! :)
For the ladies who have taken GA, what was your downtime like? As in, how many hrs before u regain full consciousness?

ecila23

Definitely not the cutting... The tugging yes... After baby is out, placed on my chest... Then bought for measurement etc, gynae suggest i go to sleep... The next moment I wake up, I'm with my hubby in ward

pixie

I had emergency c-section with Epidural + Regional Anaesthesia. Immediate side-effect I had was half side of my body was total numb even few days after giving birth and uncontrollable shiver throughout the surgery. I was wide awake, can feel tugging and burning smell (as the gynae was stitching me up) but the whole process was not as scary. This could due to the fact that I had underwent 26 hours of trying natural birth but failed and I was totally knackered and hence, I just leave everything to my gynae (of course I have full trust in her which she has showed it to me throughout the pregnancy).

Another side effect after the surgery, my blood pressure plunged (ranging somewhere between 50-ish and 60-ish) and running a slight feer on the first day. The nurses came into the room with a machine to take my blood pressure hourly and report to my Gynae of the readings.

I requested to remove all the tubes/ epi catheter the next day as I want to get out of the bed and walk to the bathroom. I was expecting some pain (mind you, I have low threshold ) but surprisingly, there was no pain at all! In fact, I only feel some soreness (NOT pain) occasionally when I lift slightly heavier stuff but I had never experience extreme pain (my girl is now 13 months old).

I can only share my experience and I do feel that if you might freak out, then you should discuss with your gynae the types of options you can take. Relax and don't be too worry; it easy really that scary (I was like you before very skeptical but when that moment came, all you want is to meet your newborn)!

Take care and stay positive!

Last edited:

Mecy

I was woken up right after they pushed me out of the operating theatre. But for the whole night, I was drowsy and fell in and out of sleep. Only regained full consciousness the next morning.

I see... thanks for sharing ecila! :)

Pixie, wow... 26hrs of natural labour?! Mums are truly amazing people :) Thanks for sharing your experience! I really want to go with epidural actually, so I guess I'm trying to gather courage to undergo that... but like what a lot of the ladies here shared, the min they see their babies, everything else is at the back of their minds. I hope that will be the case for me too! :)

Mecy, may I ask what time did your surgery end? I'm just trying to roughly calculate how many hours before full conciousness is regained :)

pixie

The 26 hours inclusive of 6 hours of contractions started the day before. So from the time I arrived at the hospital, epidural given to me, dilation had not reached the optimum and gynae broke the water bag, all those exceeded 24 hours and by then, my baby showed distress (she started to pass meconium) and dropped of heartbeats.

The actual surgery was really fast. I was wheeled into the operating threater around 7:30am and baby was delivered by 8:10am.

chavelle

Hi mummies! Im having low placenta thus will need to have c-sect at 38weeks (currently 34weeks) just to check,if i have GA,hubby wun be able to be around right?

Thanks Mecy & Pixie! I think I'll be going for epidural afterall. Desire to see my bb stronger than my fear :)

Hi Chavelle, I believe so. Hubby can only accompany you if you opt for epidural.