Caring for TWINS!!

biglady

Hi mummies..

I'm new to this forum.

Anyone can share precious advises on how to care for twins? Especially breastfeeding, setting their sleeping routine, etc..

Am giving birth in April, and really, really nervous. Wondering if i can really handle.

angelwendy

Hi mummies..

I'm new to this forum.

Anyone can share precious advises on how to care for twins? Especially breastfeeding, setting their sleeping routine, etc..

Am giving birth in April, and really, really nervous. Wondering if i can really handle.

U might wanna get a maid or a helper cause i think is a bit hard to handle alone....

angelwendy

Hi mummies..

I'm new to this forum.

you might wanna get a maid or a helper cause i think is a bit hard to handle alone....

bbyoshi

I deliver my twin boys in dec by c-sect. They are now abt 1 mth old.
As i do not produce enough milk to allow for total breastfeeding, i feed my babies formula milk as well.

Taking care of twins is not easy. You will need all the help you can get. Coz they will need time to settle down into a routine... i am still trying to work out a routine.

Hi there, i am mommy of twin boys, they are now 10 mths old.... and hubby & me were totally at lost on how to care for the boys. Fortunately, i have a very good confinement nanny who stays with us for 3 mths to care for me and the boys with help from maid. Not all confinement nanny will or know how to care for twins.

My confinement nanny is not only very good with my boys she also trained my maid on how to care for my boys, she is wonderful.

You will definitely need a confinement nanny so that you can rest well during your confinement and if you have a maid or intend to hire one, have her start at least 2 wks before your delivery so that she will know your preference in getting things done around the house and get your home ready and baby stuff cleaned and ready when you bring your twins home.

After one mth, we kind of know the boys routine and things get easier day by day..... dont worry too much, enjoy your pregnancy and when they arrive, things will work fine...:) :)

biglady

Hi mummies..

Thank you so much for your precious advise.

My mum is helping me & i also have a maid at home, but still worried coz my mum is already old so i dont want to tire her :(

I told her she'll take morning shift while i take the night shift. Tentatively this way see how.

Should i get those side-by-side prams or front-&-back prams? But for front-&-backs only one baby can lie down.

Wah, everything doubled but it's a blessing :p

lis

sorie.. abit out of track here.. but how do get the twins..? as in does it relli have in the genes or.. husband side.. or mother side.. etc..??

my husband's late grandma was a twin.. & she gave birth to twin son(which is my hb's uncles).. do u tink i have any chances of getting a twin..?

Ting

as of how to look after ur twins, it really depends if your twins r easy to handle or not?
some babies they r very easy to look after.
eat, slp, change diaper.
some will fuss n cry alot. n when it comes to twins, one cry, both will cry.
but i would think, best to set a routine after they r born..
if possible train them to slp thru the night (if u r lucky, they dun require any training) as early as possible so u can hv more rest at night.
as of feeding, u can also prepare EBM n store in your fridge, so in any case both wants milk, one can latch on the other take EBM.

Ting

sorie.. abit out of track here.. but how do get the twins..? as in does it relli have in the genes or.. husband side.. or mother side.. etc..??

my husband's late grandma was a twin.. & she gave birth to twin son(which is my husband's uncles).. do you tink i have any chances of getting a twin..?
yeah it is kinda generic.
i would think tt your husband's uncles' kids (which mean his cousins) hv a higher chance of producing twins rather than your hubby.
but there is also a percentage of getting twins be it generic or not.

biglady

as of how to look after your twins, it really depends if your twins are easy to handle or not?
some babies they are very easy to look after.
eat, sleep, change diaper.
some will fuss n cry alot. n when it comes to twins, one cry, both will cry.
but i would think, best to set a routine after they are born..
if possible train them to sleep thru the night (if you are lucky, they dont require any training) as early as possible so you can have more rest at night.
as of feeding, you can also prepare EBM n store in your fridge, so in any case both wants milk, one can latch on the other take EBM.
Hi Ting.. Can share with me how you set a routine for them? Do you shower them once or twice a day? To get my milk flow going, i heard i have to pump 15mins every 2 hours for the 1st 3 mths?

I bought 1 baby cot & 1 playpen.. Should be ok rite?

lis

hmm.. hopefully i get twins.. hehe.. i noe it's gonna b tough.. but to certain circumstances, i gotta stop only at 2nd birth.. so i hardly want twins, so i have more child(extra child) to make the hse livelier.. =)

Hi mummies..

Thank you so much for your precious advise.

My mum is helping me & i also have a maid at home, but still worried coz my mum is already old so i dont want to tire her :(

I told her she'll take morning shift while i take the night shift. Tentatively this way see how.

Should i get those side-by-side prams or front-&-back prams? But for front-&-backs only one baby can lie down.

Wah, everything doubled but it's a blessing :p
Hi there,

Yes, everything double.... .

I bought 1 babycot, 1 playpen and 2 separate stroller at the start...gradually as the boys grow older, i bought another playpen.

Now both of them sleep on their own playpen and the babycot is for changing them... the height is just rite so you dont have to bend down, which is bad for your back, trust me... i bend down once to clean one of the boys poop and the back pain starts....and still there.

I find twins stroller not that great esp when you take them out to crowded places, not easy to move around and also if one parent wants to go elsewhere like to change diaper can always take one twin and the other leave with the papa... If one twin cry also can push away so not to disturb the sleeping one.

My boys are small when they arrive so i continue to give them their midnight feed until they are about 5 months. Now they have their porridge at 6-6.30 pm and then they will have their milk around 8.30 pm and in 5-10 mins later put them to sleep.... and their next feed will be around 5-6 am and continue to sleep until 7.30 - 8 am. I only breastfed my boys for 10 days and stop, coz no milk and suffering from depression....

As they grow older, things will get easier, also the papa will be more involved when the twins are managable.... (when they are not so tiny).

biglady

Hi,.,

Thank you so much for your precious tips!! Really ease my nerves!

BTW, u delivered via C-sect? Doctor advised C-sect for me coz i'm expecting identical twins & they share a waterbag. My 1st child was thru natural birth. So worried about the pain and longer recoverery.

Hi,.,

Thank you so much for your precious tips!! Really ease my nerves!

BTW, you delivered via C-sect? Doctor advised C-sect for me coz i'm expecting identical twins & they share a waterbag. My 1st child was thru natural birth. So worried about the pain and longer recoverery.
Hi, I delivered via c-sect, doc advice too. My boys fraternal twins.

My doc did a pretty good job and was advise to get up and walk on the 2nd day after delivery and later they will remove the cathether so that can pee pee naturally... i followed doc advise and took pain killer and it help in recovery... now after 10 mths at times i can still feel some tugging around the cut, my doc says it is ok, it is healing...

bbyoshi

Hi, I delivered via c-sect, doc advice too. My boys fraternal twins.

My doc did a pretty good job and was advise to get up and walk on the 2nd day after delivery and later they will remove the cathether so that can pee pee naturally... i followed doc advise and took pain killer and it help in recovery... now after 10 mths at times i can still feel some tugging around the cut, my doc says it is ok, it is healing...
hehe i also delivered via c-sect. Mine also fraternal twin boys :001_302: they are now 5 weeks old.

I am healing up already. I walked on 2nd day as they removed the catheter and drainage. I was on painkiller for abt a week. After that, its pretty okie already.

PinkDiamonds

Hi all, I'm breathing life into this thread!

I just found out today at 6 weeks that I'm expecting fraternal twins. No family history of twins at all on both mine & hubby's side so we were quite surprised.

I currently have a 10month old daughter, and she'll be 19 months by the time I deliver my twins.

We're most likely going to be hiring a maid maybe a couple of months before I deliver. Objective is to get her used to the environment, work, and for her to adjust to what is expected of her. I'll also need her help in handling my elder daughter mostly when I'm tied up with the twins.

I delivered my girl through normal delivery and I'm really reluctant to get a C-section. I've googled and found out that 6 in 10 twin pregnancies end up with a c-section. BUT a natural delivery of twins is also very possible, but this is highly dependent on the position of either of the twins. Has anyone here been able to deliver their twins naturally?

Seeing that most of the mummies here went for C-sect, at how many weeks did u go for it and did the doctor explain why a c-section was a better option?

I know it's still too early for me but I'd love to be mentally-prepared on what my options are!

Also, anyone who has twins and elder children to handle at the same time?

bbyoshi

oh congratulations~!

I had my c-sect done during abt 38th week. Doc wanted to deliver the boys before i actually go into labour to avoid any complications.

Doc says its safer to do c-sect. The boys were also in breech position. Both their heads were on top so also cannot natural lor...

Hi all, I'm breathing life into this thread!

I just found out today at 6 weeks that I'm expecting fraternal twins. No family history of twins at all on both mine & hubby's side so we were quite surprised.

I currently have a 10month old daughter, and she'll be 19 months by the time I deliver my twins.

We're most likely going to be hiring a maid maybe a couple of months before I deliver. Objective is to get her used to the environment, work, and for her to adjust to what is expected of her. I'll also need her help in handling my elder daughter mostly when I'm tied up with the twins.

I delivered my girl through normal delivery and I'm really reluctant to get a C-section. I've googled and found out that 6 in 10 twin pregnancies end up with a c-section. BUT a natural delivery of twins is also very possible, but this is highly dependent on the position of either of the twins. Has anyone here been able to deliver their twins naturally?

Seeing that most of the mummies here went for C-sect, at how many weeks did you go for it and did the doctor explain why a c-section was a better option?

I know it's still too early for me but I'd love to be mentally-prepared on what my options are!

Also, anyone who has twins and elder children to handle at the same time?
Congrats!!!

kathtan

I have a 9-yr old boy who was delivered via emerg C-section due to prematured(32 weeks). My identical twin boys were delivered naturally without epidural at 30weeks, same reason as 1st born: waterbag burst with no apparent reason. As they were very tiny, taking care of them was tough when they came back from hospital after 32(older twin)/39(youngertwin) days of stay. Breastfeeding was tough, as I was under stress then. Then supplemented with formula. I have a CL who helped me out and slowly built up the twins. By the 4th mth, they were of ok size and I tried to establish a routine but tough. To feed both at the same time or to let 1 sleep, feed 1 is always a dilemma. Either way also very tough on mommy. In the end, I let nature took its course. If they wake up at the same time, i will feed them. if not, I just get less rest then. Now they are 11 mths old, and I send them to Infant care so more or less, they are used to certain routine like 9am bath, sleep for 1 hr, 12pm porridge, sleep for 1 hr, 3pm milk,4pm snack and 5.30pm milk. When I bring them home, i will bath them and feed them dinner at 7.30pm and last milk feed at about 9pm. Then it off to bedtime for both. Sometimes, 1 will wake up for another feed at 2am and the other will wake up at 4am. I am still hoping for the day whereby they can sleep through the night, well at least from 11pm to 6am. Till then, i will continue to invest in good eye creams and concealers. And luckily Dh takes care of my 1st born since he is already quite independent now.

Last edited: