cereal is heaty?

diymummy

Hi Domique,

If you are "ang moh pai" one, then no it is not. I am "ang moh pai" one... And my baby drinks mainly formula and eats 2 cereal feeds a day plus 1 porridge feed. He drinks only 20ml of water in a day and he is doing ok. So far my baby has no constipation problem. Last time when he was on full breast milk, he poo 4 times a day. Now he poo 3 times a day.

That time I also did ask the pediatrician coz my son dont't drink water and eat a lot of "heaty" things like cereal and forumla milk. But pediatrician says it's fine. Formula is like liquid intake but he says it is still best to try to let him get accustomed to water just so that next time he doesn't need to depend on "tasty" drinks to drink liquids. Same case for cereal.

I think cause of constipation would be more of lack of fibre in baby's diet rather than the cereal. I always try to mix some puree vege into his cereal or some fruit so that there is fibre in his diet to help him poo.

Domique

my bb no like porridge so eating oni cereal. i mix with veg puree too.. dunno why still like that...

poo hard been hard hard these few days. maybe should add more puree....

Hi Domique,

If you are "ang moh pai" one, then no it is not. I am "ang moh pai" one... And my baby drinks mainly formula and eats 2 cereal feeds a day plus 1 porridge feed. He drinks only 20ml of water in a day and he is doing ok. So far my baby has no constipation problem. Last time when he was on full breast milk, he poo 4 times a day. Now he poo 3 times a day.

That time I also did ask the pediatrician coz my son dont't drink water and eat a lot of "heaty" things like cereal and forumla milk. But pediatrician says it's fine. Formula is like liquid intake but he says it is still best to try to let him get accustomed to water just so that next time he doesn't need to depend on "tasty" drinks to drink liquids. Same case for cereal.

I think cause of constipation would be more of lack of fibre in baby's diet rather than the cereal. I always try to mix some puree vege into his cereal or some fruit so that there is fibre in his diet to help him poo.

diymummy

Is your baby drinking enough fluids?? Though my boy drinks abt 20ml of water only he drinks alot of milk. He drinks abt 600ml-800ml of milk a day... Fluids can be in terms of water/diluted juice/milk.

My baby didn't like porridge at first... But I will cook anyway and feed him abit abit...

snowbear

Hi dom, if you're feeding RICE cereal, then yes, that can lead to constipation for some babies (see www.wholesomebabyfood.com for more info). If Alaric's having constipation due to eating rice cereal, it is recommended to switch to oatmeal or barley cereal and that should solve the problem. Give him more fruits and vegetables as well as fluids too. :)

Domique

YUP! Alaric drinks about 600 - 960ml of milk... recently milk intake seems to drop to 600+... sigh.... weaning off milk? i dunno.... how much cereal is your baby having each meal?

Is your baby drinking enough fluids?? Though my boy drinks about 20ml of water only he drinks alot of milk. He drinks about 600ml-800ml of milk a day... Fluids can be in terms of water/diluted juice/milk.

My baby didn't like porridge at first... But I will cook anyway and feed him abit abit...

diymummy

Hi Dom, my baby is taking 2 heaped tablespoon of banana oatmeal cereal (Heinz) every morning and 3 heaped tablespoon of rice cereal (Heinz) every evening. Lunch he eats porridge with vege. Rice cereal he eats plain. He likes it plain.

Did you notice that his constipation only set in when the milk intake reduced???

Domique

he dun like ley... tried.... ma fan bb

Hi dom, if you're feeding RICE cereal, then yes, that can lead to constipation for some babies (see www.wholesomebabyfood.com for more info). If Alaric's having constipation due to eating rice cereal, it is recommended to switch to oatmeal or barley cereal and that should solve the problem. Give him more fruits and vegetables as well as fluids too. :)

Domique

oni when he takes more cereal...
he eats with puree.... so he takes about one milk scoop of cereal per meal with puree, sometimes one and a half milk scoop of cereal.... with puree of course....

So like snowbear said, it may be the cereal... i will have to intro fruits to his diet...

maybe introducing tea break - fruits...

Hi Dom, my baby is taking 2 heaped tablespoon of banana oatmeal cereal (Heinz) every morning and 3 heaped tablespoon of rice cereal (Heinz) every evening. Lunch he eats porridge with vege. Rice cereal he eats plain. He likes it plain.

Did you notice that his constipation only set in when the milk intake reduced???

Domique

morning meal - puree with cereal + biscuits
afternoon meal - same as above
dinner - just intro porridge with puree yesterday

after each meal he drinks (spoonfed) about 30ml or water
plus 1 day about 600-900 ml of milk.... (plus 5-10 ml water extra)

should not be water issue... maybe its fibre... fruits time!

Juan

my daughter is 6 months this week. Had introduce oatmeal to her two weeks ago but she don't like it. I am thinking to let her try this week again, can let me know how to introduce such solic to her and make her like to eat it? Usually how you all mummies feed the baby who still not yet know how to sit by their own?

diymummy

Hi Juan, trying to feed oatmeal again after a few days is correct. Baby's tastes buds changes.. Or you can put it off for a while before re-introducing it.

That time my boy couldn't really sit unsupported. I had this rocker that I can incline him to a sitting position while his head is still resting on the rocker. It's like a chair with a high backing.

I tried rice cereal first. If you want organic ones, you can try the brand Healthy Times. They have quite a variety. Can get at NTUC.

Juan

My mum blended the oatmeal to powder, so I add the oatmeal powder to 90ml formula milk, and 1 scoop of brown rice cereal and cook under it become thicky (mandarin called "hu")
Right now, I feed by baby by adding the brown rice cereal to her formula milk and feed by bottle. Just worry she do not want to start the oatmeal.. And my baby is kind of like to vomit(split out) milk since she is born....

JoyBliss

Hi Juan, trying to feed oatmeal again after a few days is correct. Baby's tastes buds changes.. Or you can put it off for a while before re-introducing it.

That time my boy couldn't really sit unsupported. I had this rocker that I can incline him to a sitting position while his head is still resting on the rocker. It's like a chair with a high backing.

I tried rice cereal first. If you want organic ones, you can try the brand Healthy Times. They have quite a variety. Can get at NTUC.
Hi diymummy, I tried the Healthy Times Barley rice cereal few weeks ago. Tried cooking according to the instruction, but somehow, not sure where I did wrong, end up the cereal has a course texture. After adding the milk powder is still course... I thought cereal shd be smooth? May I know how to prepare the cereal?

diymummy

My baby also spit out milk kind. When my baby just just started solids, his solids was quite watery... Not like paste... :) Then he will spit out but I will scoop it back into his mouth... After abt 2 weeks then he learn not to spit out... Just beginning I think it's just let the baby getting used to food from a spoon.

Juan

so, just let her eat some spoon oatmeal. Then till she reject then just let her reject, and feed the formula? how I know she is already full?

diymummy

Hi Joybliss, I've not tried the Barley cereal yet only the brown rice.. And I mix with warm milk (FM) and yes the texture for that is coarse also... I must keep stirring and stirring and pressing the lumps before it will become somewhat smooth. I prefer the Heinz one but Heinz ones are now currently off the shelves except the custard version and banana version...