Child's citizenship

Clover88

Hi! If an Employment Pass holder give birth in Singapore, can she register the birth here? I heard that after the baby reach age of 17, she/he can decide for which citizenship whether Singaporean or Parent's country, is it true?
Anyone can share info about this??
Thanks in advnc

lostinsingapore

You should double-check this with ICA, but if IIRC, at least one parent must be a SC/PR in order for the child to qualify to be a SC. For those who can decide (cos they were born overseas to SC/PR parents), I don't think it is 17 years old but 21 years old that they have to decide and take the oath of citizenship.

diymummy

I heard from my hubby's cousin that it's 12yo to decide if it's a male... Coz if the male decide to be SC he needs to do national service. *shrugs* Best to call up ICA.

Mummy Geeh

If you and ur hubby are both holding employment pass, the baby's citizenship will be same as yours.

I am a foreigner and hubby is holding E pass.. I delivered my son here in SG and we registered his birth at KKH(hospital where i delivered baby) but his citizenship is still same as ours.

After we registered his birth, we were asked to go to ICA and Embassy to get necessary ducoments for the baby such as passport, apply for dependent's pass etc..

Clover88

Thanks for info. Only few info at ICA website. Should come to its office for asking.

Mummy Geeh, i heard fr a friend that after the baby reach certain age (17 or 21), she/he can decide which citizenship (parent's or SG), that i'd like to find out.

I and my husband like to having a baby but we are waiting for our PR because will be subsidized by government (otherwise, it will be so expensive).
Btw, do you hold a Dependent Pass? May I know roughly how much you spent for your pregnancy and confinement here? Did you get the government-subsidized package for them?