CNY ang bao protocols

pinkapple

I see. I thought the rules of ang baos are standard. Didn't know it's so flexible and everyone do different things. We received an ang bao from 1 of my hubby's married soccermates. So I'm wondering whether we should do the same and give to friends. Money is tight on our side... I think I shall discuss with him.

I also heard that first year don't have to give. But during my baby's full month, my uncle reminded me to give ang bao the coming cny.

it really depends on ya family practice.
if ya uncle said that means they don't practice 1st year don't give, so u should give.

as for unmarried friends, since you guyz are tight, then just don't give.

pinkapple

Unmarried cousins : Yes (but many of my colleagues told me they dont give to unmarried cousins as they are of the same "rank" as us. Oh well, I hv been giving so I just continue. But just wondering, if you hv almost 20 cousins and many are still unmarried at age 20-30s, then how? Still give? Do you stop at certain point in time? I honestly dont recall my elderly relatives giving ang baos to their unmarried cousins aged 50s leh!)
I have more than 20 cousins and 10 of which younger than me and unmarried. I still give those who are >20 years old. I think it's their entitlement. just a small token. will stop when they get married loh. haha.

if i'm not wrong, my youngest aunt who is ard 50 and not married gets angbao from her 10 other elder siblings.

meiteoh

Hello!

This year will be the very first year I'm celebrating CNY as a married woman. Hence I'm clueless to whom I'm suppose to give red packet to and who I shall receive from (if i'm allowed to get any).

Do we give to single friends? Children of relatives who are single? Married relatives?
Do we give to our parents, grandparents?
If my grandma were to give me, should I accept it?

I feel so dumb not knowing.. haha!! hope to get some help from experienced people! =)
I only give out when I visit people or when people visit me. This includes children and people who are single (but must wish me oso la) and friends who are single - amount will vary but I'll still give. I don't give angpaus to people I know when I meet them on the street or at the office. This is what pai neen means.

If people like my grandaunt, granduncle (who always give those younger whether married or not) want to give to me - since I'm married with a kid - it's okay, I'll still accept because it comes with well-wishes and it's just a token. If they don't give, it's okay.

I usually give angpau to my parents - both my grandparents have passed away already - and my bro has always given angpaus to me & my HB plus my parents.

Actually, you're supposed to give double angpau for first year - that's Cantonese tradition, I think.

keefu

I only give out when I visit people or when people visit me. This includes children and people who are single (but must wish me oso la) and friends who are single - amount will vary but I'll still give. I don't give angpaus to people I know when I meet them on the street or at the office. This is what pai neen means.

If people like my grandaunt, granduncle (who always give those younger whether married or not) want to give to me - since I'm married with a kid - it's okay, I'll still accept because it comes with well-wishes and it's just a token. If they don't give, it's okay.

I usually give angpau to my parents - both my grandparents have passed away already - and my bro has always given angpaus to me & my HB plus my parents.

Actually, you're supposed to give double angpau for first year - that's Cantonese tradition, I think.
What's double angpows? Cos most of my family consists of cantonese...

apollo

I see. I thought the rules of ang baos are standard. Didn't know it's so flexible and everyone do different things. We received an ang bao from 1 of my hubby's married soccermates. So I'm wondering whether we should do the same and give to friends. Money is tight on our side... I think I shall discuss with him.

I also heard that first year don't have to give. But during my baby's full month, my uncle reminded me to give ang bao the coming cny.
IMO, since now u have a baby to collect Angbao, no matter is your 1st year anot, is better to give, look 'nicer'.. As for unmarried friends, if you intend to give, then have to keep giving every year I feel, if not, suddenly you wanna stop giving, abit awkward. If financial wise is tight I think is okay to skip unmarried friends. In fact I alrdy told my unmarried friends, I will not give angbaos to friends, unless next time they have their own kids and I will give their kids. =)

pinkapple

What's double angpows? Cos most of my family consists of cantonese...
cantonese give double angbao not because of 1st year but because hubby and wife each give one so must give double until one party dies.

That's what my hubby side practise.
we've been doing that for the past 8 years and will do it this year and beyond too.

not xiong actually. cos give double but the amount half loh. end up same amount as giving one angbao. haha.
I feel very not environmental friendly but my hubby insist on following the tradition.

keefu

I see I see... Yeah actually quite waste of Angpows... Unless they find your angpow very nice, otherwise is just take the money and throw away.

Ting

hah my frens also ask me to give AP after i marry but i tell them wait long long!
from what my cousin told me, those cousins or relatives who r older but single no need to give. (that's what they practise)=X just need to give relatives kids/friends kids(when we meet them). and if after i marry, the elders (like g.parents/uncles/aunts) still gimme AP, i will still take, cos its their well wishes and its also not good to reject ppl's AP. but if they dont give, im OK with it.
i think every family hv their own culture so v hard to guage what is the standard practice.

Renzie

We only give 1 AP. Some people give 2, some give 1, but no1 bother about it. haha. My friends also ask for AP, I just ignore them haha.