Colic

mummydotdot

I was wondering if any mums experienced their babies with colic? How did you go about coping? I have a 5 week old baby with colic. I am still confused of what to do or how to cope with it. I've been to the paed and he prescribed medication to ease the bloated tummy (which is part of the reason for colic), it helps a little but not totally. Any mums care to share their experience?

apollo

hw long has he been taking the medi? the medi needs time to wk. usually 2-3 ays can see small improvement but nd longer time to really ease the 'wind'. u can try to apply some ruyi oil on his tummy if it is bloated with wind. my pd told us is ok to apply ruyi oil if the bb is colicky, but not too much and have to stop apply if he recovers.

joeybeadz

keep carrying my baby.. usually the same timing.. sigh.. poor thing when she cried... cant do much..I kept singing lor...

my mum used to put some leaves in water and wipe on her head, face, hands and legs, you know those leaves you know to get rid of bad luck one....
I think it helps a little... never know.

Oh ya. I also use white noise for her to listen, eg hair dryer or vaccum machine.. u can download the mp3... or just switch on your hair dryer...

but not to worry, it will pass...

diymummy

My son was on colic medication for a few mths. It's ok as long as the dosage is correct.

We also realised that we have to burp my baby a few times as well as burp him in between feeds.

Here's a site that have other suggested ways to handle colic:
Colic: How to cope | BabyCenter

apollo

dun wry.. my son was on ridwind for quite a few mths too.. aft tt, still on n off taking tt..

xiaoxuan

My 6 week old daughter has also been diagnosed with colic. Paed prescribed Dentinox for her, administered for 2-3 days and I stopped because doesn't seem to make much of a difference in her symptoms.
Here's a good article on what colic may be caused by, and what we could do about it:

Possible Causes of Colic -- Colic -- WhatToExpect.com

I tried some of the recommended strategies of coping with colic, and she seems better now. Good luck! :)

xymum

My daughter is 5 week old now, she is having colic. We found this effective to calm her down:
1) she refused to take the pacifier when she is crying, so we hold the pacifier onto her mouth until she finally will suck on it and calm herself down. Have to endure her crying for few minutes before she willing to suck on but this is much better than she continue to cry for hours.
2) Pat her buttock while using electric swing (sarong). Found she preferred electric swing because the movement is consistent and there is motor sound that sooth her. She likes faster swing speed when she is crying, and we will switch back to slower speed after she calm down.
3) Call out her name loudly, try to "wake up" her from crying.
4) Clap hands, loud clappings will distract and "wake up" her.
5) Play a song from my hp.
6) feed regularly every 2 hours before she wakes up. Once she wakes up, she will start to cry and will suck in more air when feeding.

Read from an article that peak period for colic is from 4-6 weeks, hopefully this condition will over soon for my daughter.

Nano81

My daughter is 5 week old now, she is having colic. We found this effective to calm her down:
1) she refused to take the pacifier when she is crying, so we hold the pacifier onto her mouth until she finally will suck on it and calm herself down. Have to endure her crying for few minutes before she willing to suck on but this is much better than she continue to cry for hours.
2) Pat her buttock while using electric swing (sarong). Found she preferred electric swing because the movement is consistent and there is motor sound that sooth her. She likes faster swing speed when she is crying, and we will switch back to slower speed after she calm down.
3) Call out her name loudly, try to "wake up" her from crying.
4) Clap hands, loud clappings will distract and "wake up" her.
5) Play a song from my hp.
6) feed regularly every 2 hours before she wakes up. Once she wakes up, she will start to cry and will suck in more air when feeding.

Read from an article that peak period for colic is from 4-6 weeks, hopefully this condition will over soon for my daughter.
My baby's 4 weeks old now and having colic as well...is there anyway to know when the babies stop suffering from colic?

tigerlily88

My baby is having colic too,it was a nightmare for me for the past few weeks and not only colic he has alot of phlegm that makes him more irritated..I was under so much stress taking care of him,i cried with him and even when he has stopped crying i couldnt stop.He is 1 month plus now.Im using rid wind on him it only helps abit.....my fren told me that they wil outgrow it by 3 mths or 4mths old...