Colicky babies

CynCyn

Can this thread be made a sticky ?
Think this info is useful .

Baby (Birth - 18mths)

Case of Colic
We offer techniques to soothe your colicky baby

The piercing cry from your baby when he's got colic can shatter the calmest of nerves. Excessive crying that goes on for hours, often with obvious reason, can leave parents tearing out their hair for a second of peace and quiet. According to Mother & Baby expert and GP Dr Philippa Ridley, it's not a case to panic about. "Although colic can feel as though it’s going on forever, most parents find that symptoms disappear as quickly as they started," she says.

There is no medical definition for colic, and the general belief is that colic is a pain caused by the build-up of wind in the stomach or bowel. Another popular theory is that it may cause of an intolerance to lactose (the natural sugar found in milk). Colic often strikes in late afternoon and evening when your baby will cry out in pain and draw his knees up to his chest, while going bright red in the face. His stomach may also be bloated or swollen, as if he has swallowed a lot of air.

Dr Ridley warns, "Before diagnosing colic, it's vital to rule out other causes of the crying. Your baby may be hungry or over-tired, for example. If there are other symptoms, such as high temperature (over 37 degrees C), diarrhoea or a rash, then see your GP." Take comfort in the fact that colic doesn't last forever, it usually begins in the first few weeks of life until your baby is around three months old.
We list below 10 ways to soothe your colicky baby:

1. Wind him. Burp your baby halfway through a feed, as well as at the end. Don’t let your baby cry for too long as this can make him swallow lots of air.

2. Rock-a-bye baby. Rock your baby gently and hold him close to you so he can feel your warmth and your heartbeat. This movement can relax him. Or you can take him for a walk in the pram – or even for a drive. Many babies are soothed by the rhythm of the engine.

3. Shop for drops. Such colic drops as Infacol or Dentinox are available over the counter at your pharmacy. Some mums swear by gripe water (a remedy containing dill seed oil and bicarbonate of soda). These remedies break down the lactose in milk, hence making it easier to digest. "Whatever over-the-counter remedy you decide to use, always ready the label and never exceed the recommended dose," stresses Dr Ridley.

4. Massage magic. To relive trapped wind, try massaging your baby's stomach. Rub a little olive oil into your fingers, and, using two fingertips, gently stroke your baby’s stomach in a clockwise, circular motion from the navel outwards. Do this an hour before your baby usually starts to cry, but not just after a feed.

5. Heady herbs. Some breastfeeding women find the calming, slightly sedative effect of chamomile tea can be felt to their babies if they drink it a couple of hours before they breastfeed. If you're bottle-feeding, you can give your baby a few drops of weak chamomile tea in his bottle or on a teaspoon. Homeopathy can also be beneficial in treating colic symptoms.

6. Heads up. For babies who have had difficult births, a matter of manipulating the spine, neck or skull to properly align them, otherwise known as cranial osteopathy, can do wonders to their digestive system. A trained practitioner can stimulate the nerves which affect the digestive system, which in turn will reduce tension and stop the painful spasms.

7. Sweet stuff. Medical research has found that small doses of sucrose solution can soothe some babies. Dissolve three 5ml teaspoons of sugar in a cup of boiling water and leave to cool. Use a plastic syringe and dribble 2ml of the solution into the corner of your baby's mouth. Give one or two doses a day for no longer than two weeks. Discontinue use if his condition doesn’t improve. Unused solution can be stored in the fridge, in a sterilised bottle, for up to 24 hours.

8. Sucking sensation. Let your baby suck on his pacifier. Some babies appear to be soothed this way.

9. Do not disturb. One theory suggests that colic is caused by over-stimulation. By giving your baby some quiet time away from distractions can help stop the crying. Try swaddling your baby or carry him in a sling in a quiet room. Don't play or chat to him, just create a serene and calm environment where you can be close.

10. Ask for help. Don't think it's impossible for you to take time out and relax with a new baby. In fact, you need it! You'll be amazed by how many people are willing to volunteer look after your baby so you can have the time to unwind, have a bath or just take a nap.

Source from : http://www.family.sg/BABY/2006/09/28/en-us/0000003/article.aspx

Last edited by a moderator:

jopeck

BMSG Moderator
the methods in the book "the happiest baby on the block" really worked for my cranky #2. Its by Harvey Karp and is in the National Library.

Mrs Xie

My few ways of handling my cranky babe

- fei zai shui
- ruyi oil
- sarong
- rocking chair
- cuddle and lastly,
do idiotic actions to earn her smiles :tlaugh:

sherlin

My DS had very bad wind problem when he is between 3 weeks - 6 weeks old. I had tried so many methods, Ru Yi You, Gripe water, Infacol, Rid Wind, Dentinox, warming oil, rocking him... you name it. Only on his 7th week, the wnd problem subsides and i realised that when he is colicky during his feed, you remove his bottle and put him in a vertical position (burping position) with his head on your chest, he is able to pass wind out easily and he will stop crying then apply some warming oil on his tummy to ease the passing wind pain.

christineneogoh

My boy had both acid reflux and colic so it was a very bad phase for me... like sherlin, we tried everything and nothing works so my paed had to prescribe medications when he was only 1.5mths old... that worked but it was only temporary .. the key is to always burp your child and keep him in an upright position after feeding for at least 0.5hrs ...

dawn

my ds seems to reject my BM n cry for no reason on certain occasions... hv tried various mtds to soothe him, with varying degrees of success.

i wonder how strong a factor is the mummy's diet (through its effect on the breastmilk) on colic? anyone made a breakthrough by eliminating certain foods?? i'm trying to see if cutting out chilli n spicy stuff would help...

LoVeS

If the bb tummy is bloated n kinda hard or when u try to "knock" on the bb tummy u hear sum sound which means got wind aka colic lor. BB wif colic r usually very cranky than normal time so it quite easy to spot it.