Color and texture of expressed breast milk

choc monster

Hi

I have giving my baby EBM since he was 2 weeks old.

Lately, I observed that the initial milk that I have expressed is very light, similar to barley water but the color will change to milky after 10-15 minutes. Is it normal? Also, the texture of my EBM sometimes more watery and at times can be thicker. Is it also normal? Afraid watery EBM will not be filling for my baby and am wondering if it could be due to my diet.
Last few days I have been consuming very chocolatey stuff – dark chocolates and chocolate cakes/cookies. And my boy stayed awake most of the time though he looked tired. Should I stay away from chocolates? My friends told me that my boy currently 16 weeks should sleep approximately 14-16 hours a day but my baby usually sleep only 10-12 hours and the last 2 days only like 8 hours. Am worried his growth / development will be affected.

Appreciate your advice. Many thanks.

Edwinie

the expressed milk is normal.
the initial milk when you first expressed is called foremilk. mostly transparent and very light. then it will slowly become thicker and that is called hindmilk. it is thicker and whiter. it's normal! don't worry too much! foremilk has high fat content and hindmilk has more nutrition, fyi.