colour???

sean-tan

any mummies here know of any ways to teach kids colours?
my gal is turning 3 this yr, but she doesn't seem to know how to identify colours. we have been giving flashcards and puzzles, but still she cant recog colours. pls help.... colour matching she no pro, is e identify part. we were very worried. anyone can help???

stonston

My cousin was like this. Eye check up revealed he was colour blind. Match colours no prob cos it appears the same shade to them. But to identify colours, cannot.

You can try making it into a song, or point to objects and ask the colour.
Use the surrounding to 'test' if your child knows the colours. Could be she dun like the flashcards anymore so she refuse to tell you the colour also. Try with objects/toys she like or cartoons.

E.g. You ask, "What colour is Minnie's ribbon?"
"What colour is the train?"
"What colour is the car?"
"Is this blue?" (deliberately ask the wrong colour)

We taught my boy colours through flashcards first, then use surroundings to emphasis.

sean-tan

ya, we did ask her things ard e hse, e col n such. wat u mean by matchin no pro coz is same shape. i m worried too if it is col blind. i'll ask her wat col is tis n tat, she always ans, blue, green, yellow.... she'll try al sort of ans. i tried gving her a blue col pencil, and ask her to find stt which is blue. sometime she can do it, sometime she cant :( sld i bring her to a doc? so worried....

jojoki

Got this from the internet:

"You would go to an optomotrist for this testing and yes they are able to be tested. BUT it is common for children at this age to still not have a grasp on their colors, it is normal.

If your child is constantly mixing up colors or can not differ between certain shades and sees it as a solid shade then their is a problem. A simple test you can do is lay out three circle cards, two red and one green, on the red draw a green smile on the other red draw a black fsmile, on the green draw a red smile face. If there is red/green (the most common color blindness) your child will see both the red and the green as the same color and will not see the faces at all or very well on the cards except the one with the black face.
You can ask him to point to the card with the smile face (if he sees all he should show you all three) you can also ask him to group the cards by color (if he differs the colors you will have the red in one and green in another) These simple tests do not require him to know his colors just for him to actually see the colors."