Constipation for baby around 8mths old

hi mummies,

My gal had been constipated ever since she was given step 2 mamil gold powder.
she is crying a lot each time poo.
Tried changed to Nan2 Pro but no improvement...anyone experience this and hope to have some advice on this?

thanks in advance

Bearygum

Hi last time when my baby was not passing motion, i wrote to Dumex careline and get their advice below.

Hope this information helps. :)

Baby not passing motion

Each baby is different when it comes to the frequency of bowel motions. But it is not the frequency but rather the type of bowel motion that matters. Since your baby did not poo only for a day, that is very normal. Your baby is trying to adapt to new infant formula and this is a transitional period when you might detect changes in the stool colour and pattern.

A baby who is constipated will pass small, hard stools with straining or difficulty. Constipation is a common problem experienced by babies in the first year of life. In the majority of cases, constipation is caused by:

1. Inadequate fluid (water) intake; 2. Lack of physical movement because baby is usually bundled up. Physical movement stimulates gut motility, which in turn help the passage of stools; 4. Improper reconstitution - making a feed too concentrated which can then cause hard stools.

There are several things you can do if your baby is constipated:

• Underfeeding may lead to constipation – make sure you are feeding your baby enough. • Make sure that milks are being made correctly -too much baby milk powder will make the feed too concentrated. Ensure proper reconstitution.(You are preparing the correct mixture. Do not worry about that.) • Gently massage your baby's tummy in a clockwise direction. Some baby oil on your hands may help. Only continue if your baby seems relaxed and comfortable. • Give your baby a warm bath and when drying them, apply some cream or petroleum jelly around their bottom to soothe and prevent soreness. • Move your baby’s legs in a cycling motion. Introduce some water to the baby.

Hongyu

My baby girl is 1 yr old now. Recently she had very hard stool & will cry when she tried to pass motion. I was told by some experienced aunties to give her a little bit of honey with water & it helped. But can only give her once a week not more.

sjchan

I think prune can help. If your baby not alergy to yoghurt then you can try it. Normally I'll feed my gal prune, yoghurt, peer, barley water when her stool is hard. It's help!