Contemplating between Melbourne, Sydney, Gold Coast, Auckland or Christchurch.

Diydee

Hi All,

I am contemplating between the above mentioned places. I have a then 20 months and 31 months old daughters with me.

Any of you been to any of the places kindly share your experience.

Thank you in advance!

ClaireYang

I suggest melbourne as a start. auckland and christchurch is a longer flight so if this is the first time they are flying, then maybe get them acclimatized to flying first.
gold coast, i will bring them when they are older and can appreciate theme parks better i.e. take the rides and recognise the characters at the WB studios.

I prefer melbourne over sydney because melbourne is a much more walkable city and public transport is very convenient. day trips can be made to great ocean road, mornington peninsula and philip island (penguins and koalas!). being much more walkable means less inconvenience with prams. hope this helps.

Diydee

Hi ClaireYang,
This will be their second flight out, the first was to Perth (5 hours flight).
Saw some great deals to Paris for CNY but i don't think the winter is ideal for my two young children.
You recommend Melbourne due to public transport but in terms of attractions and shopping which will be better?
I usually drive when overseas so I doubt I will look into public transport ;)
Thanks!

ClaireYang

In terms of attractions and shopping, I highly recommend Melbourne too - there is a large outlet shopping mall just beside the central train station and attractions-wise, lots to do within the city centre and around it (like i said - mornington peninsula, philip island).

I do not recommend driving within city centre - Melbourne, Sydney as parking is super expensive. For Melbourne, driving is best done when going to attractions outside the city - mornington peninsula, great ocean road. The places around Sydney e.g. Southern Highlands also make for easy and leisure drives.

LingTan

Hi, I realised this thread was started some time back. Thought I'd like to share a collection of stories / reviews from other parents, on travelling to various parts of Australia for your research and reading pleasure - Australia with kids | KidsOnBoard.net. Generally, it seems Melbourne and Gold Coast are the preferred destination with smaller kids, while Western Australia is great for adventures.

We'd love to hear from you ladies too!

LingTan

Hi ClaireYang,
This will be their second flight out, the first was to Perth (5 hours flight).
Saw some great deals to Paris for CNY but i don't think the winter is ideal for my two young children.
You recommend Melbourne due to public transport but in terms of attractions and shopping which will be better?
I usually drive when overseas so I doubt I will look into public transport ;)
Thanks!
Diydee, specifically, Gold Coast might be really suited to kids your age - farm stays might just be the thing for them! A couple of reviews on the site for you to consider:
1. Bestbrook, a Farmstay near Brisbane - KidsOnBoard.net
2. A Sunshine Coast Farmstay at Wittacork - Kidsonboard.net
3. Touring with the Gold Coast iVenture Card - KidsOnBoard.net

Not sure if you are still looking to travel to Australia, and if you are i hope these helps!