Continue BF when pregnant?

wawa

Currently my boy is 11mths and I realise I am pregnant. I am not sure if I can continue bf or I have to stop due to my pregnancy. I am very worried about having to stop as he is very addicted to bf but at the same time I am not sure if I am having enough milk for him or not. Feels quite confused and I had no one to ask for advice as most of my friends either stop bf before pregnancy or never started.

Going to make an appointment to see my gynae on friday and am thinking of asking him as well.

PinkDiamonds

Hi, if you are pregnant, the little life inside of you will be needing a lot of nutrients from you. At the same time if you are also (tandem) breastfeeding your 11 month old will also be needing a lot of nutrients for you. If you don't eat well enough, you might be too weak to carry the pregnancy, and the milk that you feed your 11 month old will be not as nutrient rich as before.

Personally I decided to stop BFing totally once I found out I was pregnant. I told myself that if I do wish to give my girl breastmilk again, I can always wait until after I give birth.

diymummy

Nutrients will go first to your unborn child then to your breastmilk.

You might be over taxing your body if you continue breastfeeding.

wawa

Hi, if you are pregnant, the little life inside of you will be needing a lot of nutrients from you. At the same time if you are also (tandem) breastfeeding your 11 month old will also be needing a lot of nutrients for you. If you dont't eat well enough, you might be too weak to carry the pregnancy, and the milk that you feed your 11 month old will be not as nutrient rich as before.

Personally I decided to stop BFing totally once I found out I was pregnant. I told myself that if I do wish to give my girl breastmilk again, I can always wait until after I give birth.
Thank you for your advice. Would like know how do you get your girl to change to formula? My boy has been direct latch on since day 1 and other than drinking on few occasions (during confinement) on bottles, he has not touch 1 since then. There are so many brands and types of bottles in the market, I am not sure which teat looks more like breast. :tlaugh:

Not sure if he is experiencing teething problem or not having enough milk, he has been waking up like 5 times in the night searching for bf.

@diymummy too: I didn't realise that until you two mention it to me. I forgot to take my body into consideration. :07:

diymummy

Thank you for your advice. Would like know how do you get your girl to change to formula? My boy has been direct latch on since day 1 and other than drinking on few occasions (during confinement) on bottles, he has not touch 1 since then. There are so many brands and types of bottles in the market, I am not sure which teat looks more like breast. :tlaugh:

Not sure if he is experiencing teething problem or not having enough milk, he has been waking up like 5 times in the night searching for bf.

@diymummy too: I didn't realise that until you two mention it to me. I forgot to take my body into consideration. :07:
As for switching to bottles, I tried a few brands before settling on Avent. You might want to do the same if you have the budget to.

I tried NUK, Avent, BFree and Pigeon. I think the other "in" bottle right now is Tommee Tippee.

He could be either be experiencing teething or has an increased appetite. My boy do that at times and when I increased his solid intake in the day, he would be able to sleep thru again.

Because of the hormonal changes in your body due to pregnancy, it could also dip your supply.

PinkDiamonds

I think a lot of BFing mummies advocate Tommee Tippee as they say it resembles the mummy's breast closest.

Recently I bought a bottle called Breastflow by The First Years (available in most baby stores) which resembles the breast and the baby suckles as if he is sucking mummy's breast for milk. I have not tried it yet so I have no comments about it. I bought these bottles in preparation for my new arrivals :D

For my girl she started drinking from the bottle at around 4 months old and I've been using NUK since then. Initially she didn't like it but eventually she got used to drinking from the bottle. I didn't have problems with switching to the bottle.

I think there's thread around regarding weaning ur baby away from ur breast. U might wanna do a search. :)

wawa

As for switching to bottles, I tried a few brands before settling on Avent. You might want to do the same if you have the budget to.

I tried NUK, Avent, BFree and Pigeon. I think the other "in" bottle right now is Tommee Tippee.

He could be either be experiencing teething or has an increased appetite. My boy do that at times and when I increased his solid intake in the day, he would be able to sleep thru again.

Because of the hormonal changes in your body due to pregnancy, it could also dip your supply.
Hmm.. Then I have to prepare to buy a few brands to try. Not sure which one he will like. :001_302:

As for increasing solid intake, it's quite hard for me to do so. Well, he eats quite little, it's only about 3 adult spoonfuls, always saving space for his milk. He can ask for milk even right after his meal. :eek:11:

fioncess

Hmm.. Then I have to prepare to buy a few brands to try. Not sure which one he will like. :001_302:

As for increasing solid intake, it's quite hard for me to do so. Well, he eats quite little, it's only about 3 adult spoonfuls, always saving space for his milk. He can ask for milk even right after his meal. :eek:11:
i jus bought my daughter tommie tippee bottle...
it really feel like breast. even the aeroa part.. and its soft like our breast...
while my girl is drinking i jus commented... waaa really look like drinking from my breast. even my hubby say so...
so maybe u wanna try.... i would strongly recommend it...
i shld have buy this earlier on.... hahaa...

diymummy

Maybe let him snack in between? Like cheese, bread, biscuits or fruits?

cmeilim

i just bought my daughter tommie tippee bottle...
it really feel like breast. even the aeroa part.. and its soft like our breast...
while my girl is drinking i just commented... waaa really look like drinking from my breast. even my hubby say so...
so maybe you wanna try.... i would strongly recommend it...
i shld have buy this earlier on.... hahaa...

fyi, we use B-Free Plus bottle for our boy, but for his pacifier, we swear by Tommy Tippee because it's closest to mummy's breast. It was my hubby's choice. =) Now my boy knows his pacifier not by pacifier or 'too-too' but by 'Tommy Tippee'.

woo22

Currently my boy is 11mths and I realise I am pregnant. I am not sure if I can continue bf or I have to stop due to my pregnancy. I am very worried about having to stop as he is very addicted to bf but at the same time I am not sure if I am having enough milk for him or not. Feels quite confused and I had no one to ask for advice as most of my friends either stop bf before pregnancy or never started.

Going to make an appointment to see my gynae on friday and am thinking of asking him as well.
congrats!! i found out i was pregnant when my girl was 13mths..i made the decision to stop bf even b4 my gynae adv me to stop as well. at 38, being pregnant is already high risk, i don't want to complicate it further. other than worrying abt the lack of nutrients n fatigue, bf can trigger contractions..so y risk it.

then again, there r some who continue bf till they give birth..so the choice is up to individual. btw i m bf my 2.5mth boy, i m also mixing bf into my girl's fm.
as for btls, i used dr brown n avent btls for both of them. lucky for me, my girl took to fm quite easily, i have been giving her Gain.

wawa

@PinkDiamonds: Thank you, will do a search on how to wean baby off breast. Will do shopping on thurs and hopefully can get bottles that he will like. =)

@fioncess: Thank you for your recommendation. Shall buy 1 to try. ^^

@diymummy: He can eat cheese now? He has been eating a slice of bread, a couple of baby biscuits daily. As for fruits, he doesnt seems to like them. Sigh..

@woo22: I hope my boy will accept fm as easy as your girl. If not, i am not sure what to do. Sigh..

flyaway

I tried to continue to bf during my pregnancy and it caused bleeding. Gynae said bf cause the uterus to contract hence, I was bleeding. He advised me to stop for the benefit for the one inside.

As u already bf more than 6 mths, its considered very good liao...Now inside one need the nutrients more than the big one.

wawa

I tried to continue to bf during my pregnancy and it caused bleeding. Gynae said bf cause the uterus to contract hence, I was bleeding. He advised me to stop for the benefit for the one inside.

As you already bf more than 6 mths, its considered very good ...Now inside one need the nutrients more than the big one.
i intend to stop my bf gradually. If suddenly i just stop bf, i am not sure if my boy can takes it or not. I also worried for the little one inside if i were to continue bf after hearing from mummies here.

diymummy

@PinkDiamonds: Thank you, will do a search on how to wean baby off breast. Will do shopping on thurs and hopefully can get bottles that he will like. =)

@fioncess: Thank you for your recommendation. Shall buy 1 to try. ^^

@diymummy: He can eat cheese now? He has been eating a slice of bread, a couple of baby biscuits daily. As for fruits, he doesnt seems to like them. Sigh..

@woo22: I hope my boy will accept fm as easy as your girl. If not, i am not sure what to do. Sigh..
You can try cheese and apply the 4-day rule to see if he is allergic to it. Since he's a mth shy of 1 yo, you can start when he turns one. :)

cmeilim

other than flyaway mummy, is there any other mom who continued bfg successfully during subsequent pregnancy? pls share your experience here. thanks!

diymummy

As you already bf more than 6 mths, its considered very good ...Now inside one need the nutrients more than the big one.
other than flyaway mummy, is there any other mom who continued bfg successfully during subsequent pregnancy? pls share your experience here. thanks!
I think flyaway was advised to stop for her subsequent preg? :err:

flyaway

Yup, had to stop for the little one inside. My DD was supplement with formula since day 1 so she is ok, i just missed the bonding part but no choice cos I don't want to risk since already bleeding...