Cord Blood Banking

diymummy

Hmmm... Difference
(1) My friend was also with CordLife... So we both get $50 dollar voucher referal
(2) They're the only one that's AABB accredited
(3) They use Sepax technology (supposedly the most advanced technology to process cord cells)
(4) The cord blood is split into 4 before storage, which would mean you can use it up to 4 times. Heard that StemCord stores it as 1.

To me, not very much of a difference between both. I asked the CordLife people how many people are with them and they said more than 10k. Then I asked how many people used the cord blood. She said so far only 3 cases and all 3 cases for leukemia.

uddermummy

can bank in government? didnt know that ya.. is it cheaper?
not sure about the cost, but the diff btw a pte and govt bank is that for the govt bank, anyone, not just your family, can use the cord blood.

i.e. it's like a blood bank, you donate and not store.

Thanks, diymummy, ya, not very much difference...
Hmmm... Difference
(1) My friend was also with CordLife... So we both get $50 dollar voucher referal
(2) They're the only one that's AABB accredited
(3) They use Sepax technology (supposedly the most advanced technology to process cord cells)
(4) The cord blood is split into 4 before storage, which would mean you can use it up to 4 times. Heard that StemCord stores it as 1.

To me, not very much of a difference between both. I asked the CordLife people how many people are with them and they said more than 10k. Then I asked how many people used the cord blood. She said so far only 3 cases and all 3 cases for leukemia.

diymummy

Yes SG got the public one. You can store it there and I think it's free. But if other people needs to use it, they will use it. If you need to use it, you can still use yours if yours is still available.

Someone would have to verify the information abt the "free" part. I'm not sure abt how it works in the govt one. I only roughly remember what I read somewhere in this forum. I think if you do a search, you'd be able to find. I remember one of the mummies here recommending storing it in a public bank.

hapimint

It happens that I was talking to my sister the other day. She said her 2nd child is with Cordlife but her third child cord was donated.

Her doctor actually told her that its wiser to donate to public de cos if the child develop serious illness, it probably has problems with its blood in the first place so why would you want to use back his or her own blood stem. By finding a match that is compatible might be a better choice.

So by donating it, if touch wood, she needs for her kid, she can get a match from the bank.

I not sure her logic correct or not but just for reference if needed.

I think it makes sense, in fact, sibling's stem cells are close match, no point save all into private. :001_302:
It happens that I was talking to my sister the other day. She said her 2nd child is with Cordlife but her third child cord was donated.

Her doctor actually told her that its wiser to donate to public cos if the child develop serious illness, it probably has problems with its blood in the first place so why would you want to use back his or her own blood stem. By finding a match that is compatible might be a better choice.

So by donating it, if touch wood, she needs for her kid, she can get a match from the bank.

joeyz

Yes SG got the public one. You can store it there and I think it's free. But if other people needs to use it, they will use it. If you need to use it, you can still use yours if yours is still available.

Someone would have to verify the information about the "free" part. I'm not sure about how it works in the govt one. I only roughly remember what I read somewhere in this forum. I think if you do a search, you'd be able to find. I remember one of the mummies here recommending storing it in a public bank.
Yes, it is FREE cos you are donating it to Singapore Cord Blood Bank whereby anyone can access to it but shd you require to use it. You can check with the respective person they hv allocate for you to see if yours still available, if it is, they will release it back to you.

I have donate it to SCBB as well, i find it very meaningful if me & baby are able to help save lifes. :)

uddermummy

Her doctor actually told her that its wiser to donate to public cos if the child develop serious illness, it probably has problems with its blood in the first place so why would you want to use back his or her own blood stem. By finding a match that is compatible might be a better choice.

yes, actually the logic is quite true. I was also debating over whether I should store my dd's cord blood since she may not be able to use her own should she have any genetic illness.

But I guess I was being a wee bit selfish, cos i thought that the blood can be used for her future siblings, if she has any. Also, some diseases can still be treated by using our own cord blood.

I was also thinking that if she wants to, she can always volunteer to donate her bone marrow when she's older. Which was what i did. :p

But donating to the public bank is indeed also a viable and wise decision. :)

fangying

Hi there, to find out more about cord blood banking, mummies can head down to the Pregnancy Workshop that is taking place this Saturday (25th Sept) at Traders Hotel Singapore from 10am-5pm! It includes Cord Blood Banking Consultation too for those interested in learning more about cord blood banking But the seminar also includes highlights such has handling emergencies and breastfeeding the right way Best of all? There is free entry with gynae appointment card! Hee. This is organized by CordLife, one of the private cord blood banks in sg.

In addition, there is a cord blood banking seminar also a BabyTalk organized by CordLife on 2nd oct (sat) at raffles convention centre, with one-to-one cord blood banking consultation too. You can head over to wwww.cordlife.com/babytalk to register or call 6238-0808 for more info :eek:)

Cheers everyone! :wong19: