Cough, how serious/often then must see Doc?

chelle

My 5 mth old boy has been coughing for the past 2 weeks.
But I am not sure if the coughing is due to chocking on saliva or what?
How do i knw if is real cough?

I did ask PD to check when i brought him for injection but PD say there is no phelgm. But his cough sound more like a dry cough to me?

I am not too sure if i am being overly worried?
I also dun want to keep bringing him to PD over a small matter coz worry if eat too much medicine, his immune system will not develop.
But at the same time also worry if never bring to PD in time, condition will worsen?

So BEST, is to ask all the experienced & helpful mummies here! :001_302:

jasobias

when did u last bring him for a check up?Is his chest clear?Usually if cough gets worse u can hear this "krrrr" sound when baby breathes.Then u must bring him to a dr.Also if the cough is disrupting baby's sleep or milk drinking.If its just slight cough tht baby coughs just now n then n doesnt bother him,it will probably go away on its own.

apollo

does ur baby cough at night when he is slping? if he is, bring to a pd, esp if he will cough until wake up.

chelle

I bought him to PD for his 6-in-1 jab on Monday, ask PD to check b4 jab, PD said his chest is clear, no phelgm.
In fact, i ask the PD during everytime when we go for injection.
He dun cough when he sleep, normally his cough is after milk feed when i am burping him OR when we play with him and he laugh so much that he cough...haa.

He is playing, sleeping and drinking per normal.
When i see him playing happily, i think shld b ok, but when he cough, i think i shld bring him to PD but at the same time worried it might be just a small matter.
1st time mum really no experience!

chelle

when did you last bring him for a check up?Is his chest clear?Usually if cough gets worse you can hear this "krrrr" sound when baby breathes.Then you must bring him to a dr.Also if the cough is disrupting baby's sleep or milk drinking.If its just slight cough tht baby coughs just now n then n doesnt bother him,it will probably go away on its own.
I am out of topic here, but Jasobias, i envy u!
U have such a nice figure after giving birth to 3 (saw ur avatar pic)!
Can even wear bikinis!
My tummy and back is like a artwork now, sooooo many stretchmarks!!:tlaugh:

jasobias

I am out of topic here, but Jasobias, i envy you!
you have such a nice figure after giving birth to 3 (saw your avatar pic)!
Can even wear bikinis!
My tummy and back is like a artwork now, sooooo many stretchmarks!!:tlaugh:
heheh..thank u! I m kept busy whole day long taking care of 3 kids.N i was lucky i never had any stretch marks coz my pregnancy bump was really small the kind tht almost gonna due then pple realise i am pregnant!!
Just wear bikini lah..no big deal..sometimes when u r confident enuf pple dont see the flaws in ur body.The more u cover up the more pple tend to think there is a problem..so i am still gonna stick to my bikinis no matter wht

apollo

I bought him to pediatrician for his 6-in-1 jab on Monday, ask pediatrician to check before jab, pediatrician said his chest is clear, no phelgm.
In fact, i ask the pediatrician during everytime when we go for injection.
He dont cough when he sleep, normally his cough is after milk feed when i am burping him OR when we play with him and he laugh so much that he cough...haa.

He is playing, sleeping and drinking per normal.
When i see him playing happily, i think shld b ok, but when he cough, i think i shld bring him to pediatrician but at the same time worried it might be just a small matter.
1st time mum really no experience!
then i think shd be choke coughing instead of real cough. i noe hw u feel, even now whenever ds cough, i will panic, and my hubby will tel me to relax.....but hw to??? scare he really cough mahh... haha

chelle

then i think should be choke coughing instead of real cough. i know hw you feel, even now whenever dear son cough, i will panic, and my hubby will tel me to relax.....but hw to??? scare he really cough mahh... haha

Haha, my hubby is worried too, he even say we shld bring BB to another PD to check, make me even more anxious!
But i told him we observe 1st coz i dun wan BB to be dependent on medicine, shld let him build up his immune system!
But in my heart, i asking myself if i m being a bad mummy like that?
That why decided to ask the mummies here...

chelle

heheh..thank you! I m kept busy whole day long taking care of 3 kids.N i was lucky i never had any stretch marks coz my pregnancy bump was really small the kind tht almost gonna due then pple realise i am pregnant!!
Just wear bikini ..no big deal..sometimes when you are confident enuf pple dont see the flaws in your body.The more you cover up the more pple tend to think there is a problem..so i am still gonna stick to my bikinis no matter wht
You have no stretchmarks still can wear! I cannot with all the "patterns" on my tummy n back. :Dancing_tongue:
Haiz, the price of motherhood, sometime i will tell my BB said "See, u make mummy so chubby and body full of "patterns"!". He will smile sweetly at me and i just have to "forgive" him...haa:tlaugh:

jasobias

ya choke coughing is common leh esp after baby drinks milk or is laughing too much.Its not a cough.They just sometimes choke on their saliva.Real cough u wld know one..its non stop n baby cant even sleep or drink milk.
Chelle u r not a bad mummy rather u r a calm mummy.No need run to dr for every small thing.
U can also give baby vitamin drops if u wanna build up immunity..they have it at most pharmacys..APPETON INFANT VITAMIN DROPS.

apollo

i dont think u're a bad mummy.. normally daddies and mummies think differently. lik my hubby, when ds is ill, he will prefer to self medicate 1st than bringing him to pd cos normally the medi is same. for me, even if we wanna start to self medicate ds, i would prefer to call up pd to confirm 1st...

talking abt choking cough, these few days ds also cough on and off.. hopefully it is choking cough and not real one.. PLeasSSsseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :embarrassed:

EnFlor

normal cough and if bb recovers fast, that's not abnormal. So no cause to worry.

But if bb coughs and u realise that he/she makes continuous wheezing sound, do see a doc. That's not good for the lung. My son was referred to hospital many years back coz of acute bronchitis. (FYI he was not even asthmatic and no one smokes @ home but prolong coughs worsened the condition)

chelle

normal cough and if baby recovers fast, that's not abnormal. So no cause to worry.

But if baby coughs and you realise that he/she makes continuous wheezing sound, do see a doc. That's not good for the lung. My son was referred to hospital many years back coz of acute bronchitis. (FYI he was not even asthmatic and no one smokes @ home but prolong coughs worsened the condition)
Sorry, but what is a wheezing sound, is when he sleep or even normal also will make the sound?

apollo

normal cough and if baby recovers fast, that's not abnormal. So no cause to worry.

But if baby coughs and you realise that he/she makes continuous wheezing sound, do see a doc. That's not good for the lung. My son was referred to hospital many years back coz of acute bronchitis. (FYI he was not even asthmatic and no one smokes @ home but prolong coughs worsened the condition)

same as ds, when he coughs, he will have wheezing sound. pd said that is NOT asthma..

but pd also told me, babies have some sounds which sounds almost exactly like wheezing sounds, which is NOT. they must listen then can tell u whether is wheezing or normal...

apollo

yeah, what is like a wheezing sound??
pin coughs often on n off...
hmm.. lik u can hear "yinnnnnn yinnnnnn" sound when he is breathing. but lik what i said, not all 'yinnnnn' sounds is wheezing. the nurses taught me, to double confirm whether izzit wheezing, take off the clothes, see whether his chest and neck is breathing in v hard + the 'yinnnnn' sounds... the sound actu sounds abit lik asthma...

EnFlor

hmm.. lik you can hear "yinnnnnn yinnnnnn" sound when he is breathing. but lik what i said, not all 'yinnnnn' sounds is wheezing. the nurses taught me, to double confirm whether izzit wheezing, take off the clothes, see whether his chest and neck is breathing in very hard + the 'yinnnnn' sounds... the sound actually sounds abit lik asthma...

Hard to describe that wheezing sound (shall i put it like a non-lethal snoring-liked sound) but if u observe the child while he/she is sleeping, just put your ear near the child, and u can hear this strange sound and yes, reginakoh the chest does seems to work awfully hard to during times of wheezing. It was like he was struggling to do simple breathing. So when ds had that then, i knew right away that that was not normal. True enuf, doc checked on him and gave a referral letter for thorough hospital check-up.

chelle

My boy cough suddenly worsen on Friday, so much so that he was coughing thru-out the night and can hear the cough have phlegm!
Brought him to Dr Koh at SBCC nxt day, he is a very nice and patient PD!
But have difficulties feeding my boy medicine coz he keep moving his head whenever the syringe is near and he will spill the medicine out! So much so we had to bluff him by feeding him water and the medicine frm the side of his mouth!

apollo

My boy cough suddenly worsen on Friday, so much so that he was coughing thru-out the night and can hear the cough have phlegm!
Brought him to Dr Koh at SBCC nxt day, he is a very nice and patient pediatrician!
But have difficulties feeding my boy medicine coz he keep moving his head whenever the syringe is near and he will spill the medicine out! So much so we had to bluff him by feeding him water and the medicine frm the side of his mouth!
the pds at sbcc are v good. the nurses there taught me to feed medi bit by bit. lets say 10ml, u shoot 1ml into his mouth 1st then aft he swallow, shoot another 1ml... very tiring but better than letting him wasting the medi and take the wrong dosage.