cow's milk allergy--stressed mum

eileenpxp

hihi....

i was so happy and excited upon my newborn's arrival....on 21st aug...his birth weight was 3.63 kg.....thought everything's fine till i discovered he had cow's milk allergy...

lucky he was admitted to hospital after refusing milk for few hours and with moderate jaundice... supposedly discharged on 2nd day but blood was found in his stools on sunday...after investigation confirmed its allergy...

during his first few days...his appetite is very small...now esp after discharge..we have difficulties feeding him...i m extremely UPSET...he is so different from his sister who has no such problems last time and was feeding extremely well..SIGH***

he was discharged yesterday after his stools were clear of blood streaks..came back and was fed breast milk and soy milk...stools last night revealed blood streaks...(slight)...called doc..and now very worried... :(

any one having such allergy? pls share, thks!

:eek::eek::embarrassed:

Ting

i guess its normal tt his appetite is bad. afterall, he's not feeling well.
every child is different, try to be more patient, im sure he isnt feeling good as well.
allergies can be very stressful for the child too.
something u can avoid or change. just monitor closely n hope all goes well.

snowbear

If that's the case, just let your bb continue drinking breast milk and/or soy-based formula. There's no need to be too worried about it. Try to breastfeed as much as you can because bm is still the best for baby! :)

redjn

Did your PD advice beside Soya formula milk, can your kid take other like Goat's Milk?

eileenpxp

Did your pediatrician advice beside Soya formula milk, can your kid take other like Goat's Milk?
doc advised that goat's milk could be unsuitable as well...as judging from the reaction of my baby towards the formula milk...blood in stool...meaning quite allergic...

i m coping with his diet by trying to breastfeed fully....still quite okay for a few days..but now supply cant meet his demand...went back to see doc today..doc prescibed me a medicine to increase supply....still trying out now....

anyone of you guys tried this medicine before??? doc says she tried it before and the only side effect is drowsiness...:Dancing_wub:

but doesnt matter as long as my baby is GROWING...:):Dancing_tongue:

snowbear

doc advised that goat's milk could be unsuitable as well...as judging from the reaction of my baby towards the formula milk...blood in stool...meaning quite allergic...

i m coping with his diet by trying to breastfeed fully....still quite okay for a few days..but now supply cant meet his demand...went back to see doc today..doc prescibed me a medicine to increase supply....still trying out now....

anyone of you guys tried this medicine before??? doc says she tried it before and the only side effect is drowsiness...:Dancing_wub:

Hi Eileen, it's great to hear that you're trying to bf exclusively coz it's one of the best things you can do for your baby! I've not taken any medication or food to increase supply before but I think as long as it works and there are no major side effects for you or baby, go for it! :) What you can do for yourself is to get enough fluids n nutritious food and get some rest! That plus baby's latch shld be able to bring up your supply.

redjn

Well, in long run, u will have to feed your kid formula milk so u should really consult pd for a recommandation. Dun forget by the time your kid reach "2 - 3 yrs" he may not want breastmilk.