Cradle Cap and now eczema and then constipation

MizYanie

Help! i am so stressed up.. my baby is now 2 months old. she used to breastfeed until i change her to formula milk mammex ha as she develop skin rashes. after a month i change her to normal mammex and she had cradle cap and severe eczema on her face n body so the paed advice to change back to mammex ha. now her face have cleared and so is her cradle cap though part of her head is balding... (Gasp!!) but the eczema on her body is getting worse and spreading to her hand and knee... to make it worse she have contipation problem with crying and grunting. i do not know what else to do.. after one is another problem and this is my first child. it's making me feel depressed..

liz2010

Hi, dont't worry. Things will sort out when your baby's older. It's very normal that you are worried for a first-time mom. I think we all are :tlaugh:

If you have any worries, just try to get as much information and advise as possible. As your baby is very young, I believe the best person you should request for advise is the pediatrician.

My 2 kids had cradle cap (that's very common). I put natural baby massage oil on it and then comb the hair before giving bath. The cradle cap goes away like that.

You say the head is balding. Does it mean she's loosing her hair? If yes, that's normal as well. Baby's hair will fall after a few months and new hair will grow. If your baby always puts her head in the same position when she sleeps, chances are high that in that part of the head, there's no hair. So that's normal as well. You can change her position every other night.

For the eczema part, have you tried goat milk? She may have allergy to cow's milk that are found in most formula milk. Otherwise, you may try to put baby lotion. I use this excellent Swiss brand: Weleda Baby Calendula lotion. One of the ingredient of the lotion is calendula flower. It is a natural anti-inflammatory and has healing properties. It's recommanded for eczema. There is also a face cream. I used these 2 products for my babies. My daughter had eczema, but only a little bit on the shoulder and face. And it's gone after a couple of days of use. I use also the Weleda Baby Calendula nappy cream which I highly recommend. You can try to put the nappy cream on very dry areas of the body. I did it for my daughter's eczema when it was really dry and becoming hard!

What kind of bodywash do you use for your baby? Most commercial bodywashes has chemicals inside and they can worsen your baby's eczema. You may change to a natural bodywash that doesn't irritate sensitive skin.

For the constipation, it can be caused by the formula milk. Goat milk is maybe better for her. Give her some water between the milk feed as well. It won't cut down on her milk intake. I started to give water to my 3 kids when they were about 3 months old, so I think it won't harm her at 2 months. Ask your pediatrician for advise as I dont't know what other thing you can give her for her age.

Hope it helps and your baby's going to be better very soon. Good luck!

Last edited:

lushtear

My baby has eczema, cradle cap since 2 months when i was bf and supplementing with Similac.. I am eczematic myself.

Haan used to be on Similac and breast milk since birth. At ard 2 months plus, she had cradle cap and eczema on her elbows and knees and legs. At around 4 months plus, every feeding is like a battle for us.. she will kick, cry, bat her bottle away and refuse her milk. Also, we noticed that that she pooed many times a day (4 to 5 times a day) We tried Friso, Enfalac, S26 and Nan. It got so bad that she started losing weight and we seek help from our pediatrician who suggested to us that she might is allegic to cows milk and suggested either Goats or Soy milk.

Soy milk wasnt an option for me cos i'm allegic to Soy and there is a high chance that Haan cud be allegic to it.. I changed to Karihome Goats milk and guess what.. IT WORKS LIKE A DREAM!!!! Haan usually take 140ml max and with goats milk, she increased her feed within a week.. Now at 6.5 month, she is drinking 200ml which is a huge huge improvement (But also burnt a huge huge hole in our pockets).. Within a month, she started increasing her weight again. The only thing i dislike bt Karihome is the price ($24.10 for a 400gm tin and i have to buy it every 3 to 4 days) and the smell if Haan spits up (The smell is dammnnnnnnnnnn EeEeeeeEeeeeee!!!!)

Even with the change, Haan's appetite increased but her eczema stil comes and go. Currently, i am bathing her with Baby califonia super sensitive and moisturizing her with Physiogel cream or Epicerem (Recommended by her doc at national skin centre). As for her cradle cap, i am using unscented olive oil. Now she doesnt have any cradle cap but she has very BAD habits like scratchign her head and ears when she is hot, irritated, angry or going to sleep.. Thus many broken wounds on her scalp.. Sigh!! I dunno whether her cradle cap has evolved to eczema but i will check this Wed during her visit to her PD.

Hope this helps!

Hope it helps!

lushtear

And oh ya.. if u look at my 2 pics.. Haan dropped ALOT of hair after her cradle cap episode but babies also have the tendency to drop their hair ard 3 months old.. compared to her pic at the bottom when she was well before her "bad" days!