Deposit for Confinement Lady

Foolish

Hi, I'm a new mom-to-be next year. Came across this forum and actively looking for a confinement lady. Called afew and all required a deposit to be placed before confirmation. Met up with one recently and I'm quite ok with her even she has asked for $300 deposit. However when I asked her for photocopy of IC or passport ( she is a malaysian ), she doesn't want to give. I told her if she doesn't want to pass me a photocopy of her personal particulars, then at least write down a note to acknowledge the deposit. She declined, showed me a black face and told me I should trust her.

Is this a normal practice for the confinement lady not to give you anything when you placed the deposit ?

Last edited:

lekdao

Hi, I'm a new mom-to-be next year. Came across this forum and actively looking for a confinement lady. Called afew and all required a deposit to be placed before confirmation. Met up with one recently and I'm quite ok with her even she has asked for $300 deposit. However when I asked her for photocopy of IC or passport ( she is a malaysian ), she doesn't want to give. I told her if she doesn't want to pass me a photocopy of her personal particulars, then at least write down a note to acknowledge the deposit. She declined, showed me a black face and told me I should trust her.

Is this a normal practice for the confinement lady not to give you anything when you placed the deposit ?

Guess is a normal practice, my confinement lady also did not give me anything when i placed the deposit. The only thing She gave me is the shopping list to prepare all the stuffs ready so that she can put all her time in me and my baby instead going out to shop.

For deposit some ask for $300, some ask for $200 depends on individual. Mine asked for $200. Before i am due, i also called her to check things like where to get the things she requested etc. Even after i completed my confinement a year, i still called her to check things if i am not sure.

Foolish

I've heard horror stories that some confinement ladies 'aeroplane' their clients and ran away with the deposits !! I'm in a dilemma now as to whether to hire one without any proof of deposit. Any advices from experienced mummies here ? Thanks.

lekdao

I've heard horror stories that some confinement ladies 'aeroplane' their clients and ran away with the deposits !! I'm in a dilemma now as to whether to hire one without any proof of deposit. Any advices from experienced mummies here ? Thanks.

Who is your confinement lady? Hope other mummies do engaged her service before and share with you.

Foolish

Who is your confinement lady? Hope other mummies do engaged her service before and share with you.
I do not want to mention her name. Hubby said even though she is popular, why would she be afraid to pass us a photocopy of her identity or acknowledge the receipt of deposit. Anyway, we deicided not to employ her.

kathtan

I had 2 confinement ladies and both did not ask for deposit even though I do not know them. They were recommended by my fren. Honestly, i am not too keen to give deposit as i hv heard numerous stories as well. It is not a sure thing that they were be reserved for you. It all depends on their calendar.

Perhaps you want to reconsider? or get another recommendation?

actan1

Alpha Male
Definitely not a practice.. my suggestion is dont give..
What can she give to guarantee that she will be here for u when the time comes. if you need, i can recommend you the confinement lady that my wife and i have engage..
she is quite good.. but is a malaysian..

theresacky

if she is upright, she should give you her info and some acknowledgement of deposit. she is in Malaysia, anything can happen. I think it's very risky.