[[ Development ]]

maichiang

Hi mummies, may i know when ur cutie pies started crawling,standin n walkin respectively? mi boi is gonna be 7mnths old in a couple of days bt he has yet to crawl..he did back front flip n movin backwards quite late as well..

and he is on the big side,could diz be affectin his development as well? bt i've a fren whose boi was jz abt as big bt he was quite fast..i dun nie mi boi to be fast,jz on time..hmmmmm..

btw he's TBF n @ 6th mnth plus he was 11.7kg..very lazy n loves to watch tv..=S

pixie

Hi, I can only share what I knew from my sister's boy (he is now 17 years old already) with you and from here you probably would be able to access your baby in his development.

I recall that my nephew has a bigger head (even now he is a big head.....LOL) than his body and when he had reached the time to start crawling, he banged his head constantly on the floor/mattress whenever we put him on his tummy. At first, we thought he was just lazy but realise that he was actually struggling to balance his body. After some observation, we noticed that it was his head that's giving him the problem. I suppose this can also apply to baby who is overweight.

Then few weeks later or maybe a month or so (cant remember since it was so many years ago!), he started to move his knees and raised his butt up and finally, he sit upright. In my memory, he barely crawl because of his heavy head! Hence, all I can say is NOT all babies will crawl (my mother can confirm this). If babies realize that they have to struggle to do something, they have this basic instinct to move on to the next stage/phase (e.g. crawl, walk etc) pretty quickly.

If you are still worried, you might want to schedule an appointment with the pediatrician to get his/her opinion.

My boy is 7.5 months old n can crawl, flip.. He can sit up from lying down position. Now he's trying to stand from his sitting position.
9.5 kg a month ago

apollo

I forgot when my son 1st crawled. but i rmb he was slightly slower than my friends' babies. And I think the main reason could be, he was too chubby, his weight was always above average and he was pretty slow when comes to flipping and crawling. Only pull to stand is faster. There is no such things as "just on time" when it comes to babies development and milestones. Every baby is different, some faster some slower. I heard that some dont even crawl, just proceed straight to walking when they are older. Try to put him on his tummy or let him roll ard on the floor (with mat or mattress) instead of sitting or lying on bed.

maichiang

thks mummies for reassuring..btw mi boi still hasn learnt to move forward as well..he jz moves backwards..i guess he will decide when he wants to crawl n all=D

Amulet

my girl only start to learn to crawl at 6months+, but only start to be able to move forward or ard after 8months old.. standing independently at ard 1yo, only took her first step at 14months old.. every babies' milestones are different so it's hard to compare.. :)

ast0212

Yep every baby is different!

My boy started flipping from back to front at 6.5 months, sitting up on his own at 6.5 months, commando crawling at 7 months and proper crawling (on hands and knees) at 9 months, then walking on his own at 12 months. He never learnt to flip from front to back early on but he can definitely do it now!

It's good to let them develop at their own pace because they learn a lot of different skills while learning to crawl or walk. Giving them as much floor time as possible without aids (walkers or jumpers) is best :)

maichiang

thanx loads mummies!! guess i was being too impatient,ehehee..shall let nature take its course..much appreciated!!=DD

lyra

Hi pixie, I rmb reading this article in a mothers and children mag that children have to learn to crawl first b4 they progress to the next stage. A mother was delighted her boy started walking without learning to crawl but it turns out that a developmental prob caused this n her boy has learning disability. So dun b too happy n think everything is alright if babies walk without learning to crawl. If baby skipped a dev stage, the safest is to bring him to a paediatrician for assessment and dun b in denial that everything is fine. I know of a mother who kept denying her child has a hearing prob n delayed treatment until it's too late.

Hi, I can only share what I knew from my sister's boy (he is now 17 years old already) with you and from here you probably would be able to access your baby in his development.

I recall that my nephew has a bigger head (even now he is a big head.....LOL) than his body and when he had reached the time to start crawling, he banged his head constantly on the floor/mattress whenever we put him on his tummy. At first, we thought he was just lazy but realise that he was actually struggling to balance his body. After some observation, we noticed that it was his head that's giving him the problem. I suppose this can also apply to baby who is overweight.

Then few weeks later or maybe a month or so (cant remember since it was so many years ago!), he started to move his knees and raised his butt up and finally, he sit upright. In my memory, he barely crawl because of his heavy head! Hence, all I can say is NOT all babies will crawl (my mother can confirm this). If babies realize that they have to struggle to do something, they have this basic instinct to move on to the next stage/phase (e.g. crawl, walk etc) pretty quickly.

If you are still worried, you might want to schedule an appointment with the pediatrician to get his/her opinion.

marshmallows

When we say crawling, do we mean crawling on tummy (leopard crawl) or crawling on fours (tummy off floor)?

Anyways there are lots of babies who doesn't crawl but proceed to cruising and walking. My elder sis was one of them. She started her first steps when she was 10 months old (she was a petite baby btw), and she is now in her 40s, nothing wrong with her :)

pixie

lyra, perhaps you might want to read some of the responses from the mummies on this topic. If there are major issues with those babies who have skipped crawling before progressing to walking, then the mothers would have spotted it long.

Besides, if you do read my post carefully, now my nephew is 17 year-old and he is perfectly a NORMAL person.

Hi pixie, I rmb reading this article in a mothers and children mag that children have to learn to crawl first before they progress to the next stage. A mother was delighted her boy started walking without learning to crawl but it turns out that a developmental prob caused this n her boy has learning disability. So dont b too happy n think everything is alright if babies walk without learning to crawl. If baby skipped a dev stage, the safest is to bring him to a paediatrician for assessment and dont b in denial that everything is fine. I know of a mother who kept denying her child has a hearing prob n delayed treatment until it's too late.