Diapers and clothe nappies question.

I am starting to pack my hospital bag (in week 33 now and had 1 preterm labour scare). I am planning to use cloth diapers for my baby. Most of the hospitals put the baby in the plastic diapers (drypers I think). Is it possible for me to request that they use the cloth diapers for my baby? Was wondering so I can pack early.

lekdao

I am starting to pack my hospital bag (in week 33 now and had 1 preterm labour scare). I am planning to use cloth diapers for my baby. Most of the hospitals put the baby in the plastic diapers (drypers I think). Is it possible for me to request that they use the cloth diapers for my baby? Was wondering so I can pack early.

When the baby is in the hospital, they will use diapers (pampers brand), switch to cloth diaper after your baby discharge.
Just FYI, most of the time the poo stain on the cloth diaper is not easy to remove. I hv to soak wif hot water and Napisan for a few days before removing the stains. reconsider do you really wan to use cloth diaper during your stay in the hospital.

When the baby is in the hospital, they will use diapers (pampers brand), switch to cloth diaper after your baby discharge.
Just FYI, most of the time the poo stain on the cloth diaper is not easy to remove. I hv to soak wif hot water and Napisan for a few days before removing the stains. reconsider do you really wan to use cloth diaper during your stay in the hospital.
My mum and confinement lady forcing me to..not i want...LOL

Mummy to Baby V

I'm totally supportive of using cloth diapers.
However, during hospital stay, I simply allowed disposable diapers cos meconium (the first black tarry stools) are hard to clean. And I can't supervise the laundry at home.

Once home, we used cloth diapers. Traditional cotton cloths with very good diaper cover, that keeps all the explosive poo poo in.

Breastfed-baby poo is water soluble and very easy to wash. Just spray off poo into toilet, put into washing machine, dry under hot sun (natural bleach) and all clean. I wash diapers with baby's clothes, all clean.

After confinement lady left, I switched to modern cloth diapers, easy to use, absorbent and easy to wash. Most importantly, gentle to baby's skin.
We also use cloth diapers for night-time, outdoors and overseas trips.

My boy is 2+ years old. Looking back, it's very convenient cos we never run out of diapers, don't need to stock up regularly, don't need to keep looking out for diapers promotions, etc. Using cloth diapers has become as natural as putting in washable clothes, handkerchiefs, and bibs in him.

My next baby would be arriving this year and he can continue to use all the brother's beautiful cloth diapers. We really save a lot of money on diapers.

See example of my diaper review:
Compare Diaper Covers: Bummis Super Brite & Whisper Wrap | Mummy's Reviews

Last edited:

hapimint

Inspirational.... My mil and my mum wants me to use cloth diapers too... But they prefer those traditional ones than those we see online nowadays.....

They says if we use cloth diapers, it will be easier to toilet train bb in the future.... Hope it's true.... But I think I am not as good.... Planning is to use cloth diaper at home but when go out or at night sleep or overseas, shall be using disposables....

lekdao

I'm totally supportive of using cloth diapers.
However, during hospital stay, I simply allowed disposable diapers cos meconium (the first black tarry stools) are hard to clean. And I can't supervise the laundry at home.

Once home, we used cloth diapers. Traditional cotton cloths with very good diaper cover, that keeps all the explosive poo poo in.

Breastfed-baby poo is water soluble and very easy to wash. Just spray off poo into toilet, put into washing machine, dry under hot sun (natural bleach) and all clean. I wash diapers with baby's clothes, all clean.

After confinement lady left, I switched to modern cloth diapers, easy to use, absorbent and easy to wash. Most importantly, gentle to baby's skin.
We also use cloth diapers for night-time, outdoors and overseas trips.

My boy is 2+ years old. Looking back, it's very convenient cos we never run out of diapers, don't need to stock up regularly, don't need to keep looking out for diapers promotions, etc. Using cloth diapers has become as natural as putting in washable clothes, handkerchiefs, and bibs in him.

My next baby would be arriving this year and he can continue to use all the brother's beautiful cloth diapers. We really save a lot of money on diapers.

See example of my diaper review:
Compare Diaper Covers: Bummis Super Brite & Whisper Wrap | Mummy's Reviews
Hi Evangeline89

This is what i mean, use diapers in the hospital.
after you discharge, at home then you use the cloth diapers.

lekdao

yup!~ but in the hospital, we're not gonna be the ones changing right?

U can change for your baby if he/she is wif you, OR you can call the nurse to change.
There is once, i try to change for my baby but she poos till very messy. I called nurse for help and they had to bring her back to the nursery rm to clean her up.

Mummy to Baby V

Inspirational.... My mil and my mum wants me to use cloth diapers too... But they prefer those traditional ones than those we see online nowadays.....

They says if we use cloth diapers, it will be easier to toilet train bb in the future.... Hope it's true.... But I think I am not as good.... Planning is to use cloth diaper at home but when go out or at night sleep or overseas, shall be using disposables....
The toilet training part is partly true. If use traditional cloth diaper or modern cloth diaper with no stay-dry layer, baby feels wetness immediately and caregiver will change baby after every pee. Baby doesn't feel too comfortable in diapers and learns about the "wet" feeling.

There is also big incentive to prop baby onto the potty frequently to encourage poo and pee, to reduce number of soiled or wet diapers. That's why early potty training success can be reached.

As a testimony, my boy started peeing in potty occasionally at 8 months, pooing there at 10 months, fully daytime trained before 2 years old. Cloth diapers plus early training do help a lot.

The traditional cloths are fine for day time as long as caregiver likes it. For nap, night, outdoor, then the modern ones can usually hold more, stay drier, good to let baby sleep peacefully longer without risking a rash. It all boils down to the caregiver's preferences. My friend's son was diapered the traditional way, but by 9 months old, too much pee, so switched to disposables. A pity she didn't know of modern cloth diapers.