Difficulty expressing

poohie

Some advice needed frm mummies here

I have engorgement for consecutive 3 days. First on my left breast follow by right and back to left. When I'm pumping either e milk flow is very slow or totally not coming out but when I use my hands to squeeze, my milk will come out but that will defeat e purpose of using a breast pump. Usually when u start pumping, e milk is squirting out but its nt e case this few days. I don't know its my breast pump faulty or its my engorgement causing e problem. I'm using philip single pump. I cn feel a lump and its painful, tried massaging to ease e pain but doesn't help. Any mummies encounter this before and any remedy? *ouch*

When u having engorgement, it is beta to massage n use hand to squeeze even tho u using pump. The pump is definitely not as effective as baby suckling so if may not pump out n clear your lumps. I think your may dev into blocked ducts if u dun clear soon cos tat happened to me before. So it is ok to squeeze during pumping to help clear lump first. Actually for me, during normal pumping, I also use hands to squeeze just to make sure tat all ducts are clear during the session cos like I said pump is not as effective as baby suckling.

single pump n double pump also got difference. Seems tat double pump more effective in pumping out milk than single one.

i think wat u can do now is to do hot compress before u latch or pump. Then u can actually squeeze the lump area when u latch or pump as well to help clear as much as possible.

msck

Yup yup. I had engorgement suddenly few days back. I kept using hot towel, hot shower, massage whole day (squeeze, pinch, compress, punch... Very violently. Ouch... ), also kept feeding baby with tt breast. I even resort to using cabbage to relieve the pain!

I kept doing for a day! Finally cleared by bb's latching!!!!!!!

Some mummies gave very good advice! U may want to search for engorgement suddenly! Help! Haha...

yeoymp

I'm also having problem pumping using breast pump. can't seems to have letdown since yesterday when pumping which I usually does have. the milk flow very slow like dripping only....end up I got to use hand press and squeeze in order to empty my breast. the whole process took longer than usual, could it be pump problem?

I had super engorgement last night, my last pump at 10.30pm...then my boy sleep through and I wake up with engorgement at 3+ tot to wait for my boy to latch. Ends up at 4am can't stand wake up to pump, the flow super slow....after 20mins dripping my boy wake up. so let him latch.

even day time not so engorge, I got difficulty in pumping as well. how?

Celz

I've also experienced lumps with slower flow a month back. Using Philip single electric pump too. What I did was to press, pinch, massage the lumpy area (hand express) at the end of the session. Would normally still able to yield some 20-40mls. I persevered about a week and is no longer having this problem since then.

My 3 month old does not want to latch at all, thus got to resort to this method. That time the lumps are so hard n many that I need 1 hr for 1 session. But at the end, felt its all worth it coz my supply is now more than what bb can feed, so can store for future use.

Celz

Forgot to add on, I agree with rachelleling's method of using hands to squeeze out during normal pumping to ensure all is cleared. This will prevent u from getting subsequent block ducts or engorgement.

if is pump prob, you would have noticed that the pump suction is weaker than previously. if you using medela PISA, usu it's the white membrane valve which is torn and causing the pump to work well. if other pumps, could be somewhr whr air could escape and thus, not able to work well.

yeoymp, which pump you using?

during engorgement, sometimes diff to get let down becos there are blocked ducts and milk cant flow out easily. but once you clear the ducts, the flow should resume back to normal. It is ok to squeeze the boobs to clear the ducts. in fact i think besides latching, squeezing is the best way!

yeoymp

I'm using medela mini electric, and I do notice that the suction is weaker than previous. if suction is weak, what is the cause and how to solve it?
my breaSt will be soft after I hand press in each pumping section, so shouldn't be blocked duct right?

yeoymp, you may want to check if there is a tear in the white small circular membrane. I think mini electric also have this membrane. if it is torn, need to replace cos a torn one can cause the suction to be weaker. Also, you can check if you have fixed all the parts correctly or not.

blocked ducts is when after you express, still hard. so if is soft, then unlikelt to be blocked duct. could be just feeling engorged but milk can still flow. when you have blocked ducts, is hard and painful and milk cant come out easily

do change/check the membrane regularly . rubber stretched over a period of time causing sudden drop in supply. and if using medela pump, check that the accessories of pump are properly fixed up and clipped on tightly and securely.

a dual pump really works better

poohie

I tried massaging and focus on the lump then hand squeeze, the lump area can disappear and the breast feel meeting empty. But when I pump the next session I did the same thing, seems like the lump area become painful again. The breast doesn't feel emptied. Moreover due to this my milk supply has decrease. Usually I take 20-30mins to express milk now is 45mins n mre :( I do not know if I need to get a new pump (pump problem) or my problem? I haven't been latching on since 1 week after delivery. Most of the time I express out.

andieluv2

poohie:711782 said:
I tried massaging and focus on the lump then hand squeeze, the lump area can disappear and the breast feel meeting empty. But when I pump the next session I did the same thing, seems like the lump area become painful again. The breast doesn't feel emptied. Moreover due to this my milk supply has decrease. Usually I take 20-30mins to express milk now is 45mins n mre :( I do not know if I need to get a new pump (pump problem) or my problem? I haven't been latching on since 1 week after delivery. Most of the time I express out.
Maybe u wanna get dual pump? There are mummies here selling used and bn pumps u can try getting from them. Dual is definitely better than single. I am using PISA. But i heard that unimom forte is also good and hospital grade and cheap! way cheaper than medela. If u want can get from TMC. Alternatively i know of a supplier that carries this.pump and they.do free rental service for u to try out the pump prior to purchase. Pm me if u need the details k. Planning to try.out this pump for my 2nd.pregnancy. Lol.