Difficulty in Breast Feeding

paradize

Hi MOMs,

My baby is 6 days old and I am trying to breastfeed but facing these problems.

My nipple is too short for baby to latch.
I am using Philips AVENT Manual Breast Pump but my milk is coming out too slowly and it is dripping rather than shooting into the pump.

I need some advise here.Please help.
:Dancing_tongue:

Hi MOMs,

I am using Philips AVENT Manual Breast Pump but my milk is coming out too slowly and it is dripping rather than shooting into the pump.

Erm, mayb u can try to pull bit bit (Gently)? Milk flow is slow at the beginning, or u try to use ur hand to make te milk out straight into bottle?

janejbr

Hi MOMs,

I have a short nipple too, you can try to pull it out gentlely. I managed total breastfeed my baby for 15 months. During the 1st week I managed to express 20ml per session for stock up purpose.

Let your baby latch on, as the milk supply is basing on demand and supply concept. The supply will increase steadily once you have your baby latch on regularly (night feeding is very important). At the same time, you might choose to express at regular interval to stock up.

Drink more soup (especially fish bone soup with green papaya) or water will help in the supply. More importantly, relax yourself and enjoy the baby’s accompanied and the confinement food.

Prepare madela nipple cream if you encountered sore nipple. When I had sore nipple during the 1st week, I had to endure the pain for about a week before it fully recovered.

Determination is a key and effort is equally important to make thing happen, like sterile the breast pump kit, dry it, use it and wash for the next use. The whole cycle was almost occupying my whole confinement month. More importantly, the result is beneficial for my baby.

Cheers..

sg81hani

I have short nipple too. The nurse taught me to squeeze the part of the breast about an inch to the nipple and guide baby's mouth to it. It will take some practise at first, but somehow my daughter is able to get the trick after a week or so. Once it's properly latched on, baby's suction is strong enuf, so the nipple doesn't come out easily while she's suckling. See a lactation nurse if you are not sure. All the best to you and be patient yeah ; )

ast0212

It's normal for milk to drip while expressing :) During a let down (when milk is released) your milk may drip faster or even spray, but it varies from person to person as every body/breast is different. In the early days it's best to latch baby on as much as possible as it takes about 3 months to build your milk supply. All the best :)

endlssorrow

Alpha Male
if u cant latch on.. i believe is ok for u to pump out & store it first.. once the baby wann drink.. u can warm up using the hot water... baby is still drinking B.Milk.