Disabled can get a ride with volunteer drivers

Angelmum

Disabled can get a ride with volunteer drivers
Published on May 21, 2012
Paralympic swimmer Theresa Goh, 25, may be a speed demon in the water, but she still needs some help on land.
That's where a new mobile app, on a two-month test run from today, may come in handy.
Called Ecommuter, the app allows disabled commuters to send requests to private volunteer drivers or drivers from welfare and transport groups when they need a ride.

It was developed by Hapticus, a home-grown Web development start-up, which had partnered the Handicaps Welfare Association (HWA) for the project. During the pilot test, 15 drivers - either private volunteers or drivers from various organisations - and their assigned passengers will try out the app.

How the app works
ONCE the disabled commuters log onto the app, they can customise their settings to filter their transport options.
For example, a disabled commuter can register himself as using a high-backed wheelchair and a member of HWA. Immediately, he will be able to view available transport services that can accommodate his type of wheelchair and services that are open to him because of his membership.
This feature eliminates the need for the disabled to make separate checks with various transport providers when making a booking.

With the listed options, the disabled commuter can then either send a transport request to a particular provider, or wait for available transport providers to offer the rides. The request can be made in advance or in real time.
Once a match has been made, the app - which runs on a 3G broadband network - shows a map to track the progress of the driver towards the pick-up point.
This allows the commuter to gauge its time of arrival, and so have sufficient time to get to the pick-up point.
With the map feature, the organisations can also track the locations of its various drivers and dispatch the nearest driver should an ad-hoc request come in.
If multiple requests fall within the same route, the organisation can send one driver to pick up several passengers along the way.

The app also makes it more convenient for private volunteers to offer their transport services.
If a person suddenly needs to head to town to run an errand, he can log on to check if any disabled commuter needs a ride.

A rating system allows commuters to give feedback on private volunteers to ensure safety and reliability.
The commuter or driver can also communicate by sending each other messages should the need arise.

Angelmum

Above can also extend to us. Having problem finding school bus to send my girl to and fro school. How I wish I could get help so my girl can attend AWWA or other special school.

HDB InfoWEB: EASE : -
I felt such upgrading will benefit families with special needs children/youth. Dont understand why HDB not extending to us.

My flat recently undergone lift upgrading. I requested for a ramp so that my girl's stroller and bicycle can be pushed up/down the stairs instead of carried up/down. Too bad, town council just came over, ask some questions and case closed. Cant be bothered to help. My opposite neighbour, living on ground floor, wheel chair bound also faced same problem. Everybody benefited from lift upgrading, except us, those liviing on ground floor. We had to endure the loudest noise and received the most dust, yet nothing benefit us.

Customised Improvements
With EASE, there is flexibility to customise the combination of improvements and pay only for what you choose. These are the improvements provided by EASE:
  • Slip-resistant treatment to bathroom/ toilet floor tiles
  • Grab bars within the flat
  • Ramp(s) to negotiate level differences in the flat*
  • Ramp at the main entrance*
* where technically feasible

HDB will be introducing EASE under the Home Improvement Programme (HIP) from July 2012. Elderly and vulnerable residents who wish to get the improvements earlier, or whose blocks do not qualify for HIP can apply for EASE directly at the HDB Branches.

Eligibility Criteria
There may be elderly and vulnerable residents who may wish to get the improvements earlier, or whose blocks do not qualify for HIP. These residents can apply for EASE through the HDB Branches directly.
To qualify:
I. SC households must have an elderly member who is 70 years old and above;
II. SC households with at least one member aged between 65 and 69 years who requires assistance for one or more of the Activities of Daily Living (ADL) 'Activities of Daily Living (ADL)' is a term used in healthcare to refer to daily self-care activities within an individual's place of residence. These activities include washing, dressing, feeding, toileting, mobility and transferring.

Last edited: