Do 4 year old ganged up on classmates to tell them they don't like him or her?

HoneybunnyZ

My boy joined this church kindy at a later stage.
I was shocked to only find out today while we were talking that his classmates (he named about 5 of them) telling him in his face they don't like him. He mentioned he asked.

What made me said was he brought in the school picture and showed me the people and told me the names.
I did notice these 2 girls one little proud did tell another school boy they don't like him before.

And I asked him why he not say anything earlier and does he still want to go back to the school?
He said yes he enjoy the lessons given by the teachers just that he was sad his classmates said that.

I didn't blame all on him since I do not know the full story. But I told him sharing is a good start and also listening to what others have to say and let other people choose or play the way they want.

He said he did try to play with them then sighed and say never mind.
Then he said "I don't want to think about these not nice things anymore. It's okay. I like the school"

It made me more heart pained when he said that and that he tried think about it more positively.
He is 4 years old.
He does not like cartoons and have an avid interest and knowledge in trains even European trains. I don't mean the Thomas and friends types only. I mean British collectors videos with genuine knowledge of these trains....

I hugged him and told him he is very dear to many people and he has friends outside school whom likes him.

He is not very competitive in nature, more of the like to disturb, joke and make fun type and sometimes very sure of his own opinions and sometimes speak the very thing I had felt.

For eg. I was crying very badly when I had to send my mom off in the van after her wake, I was carrying him and he hugged me for a long time gently asking me not to cry. And when he raised his head he said "I love you mama".
Then one day when I was about to open my house door, I muttered now that my mom is gone, I am not sure how it will be like without her. He ran in and said "Mama, don't worry, you still have me!"

Since next year he be in morning session there will be new friends , I told him maybe it will be better and if anything like this still comes up, do let me know. He said okay.

Is it common for girls and maybe some boys to gang up on one particular person time to time and tell them at 4 year old they don't like him/ her?

I feel so bad I only knew now.

I do recall when I was in kindy I really don't like boys though......

hoping for some parents feedback...I did msg the teacher she said she didn't know about it.
She said she do read stories of good moral values but she feels singaporean culture is like that (she studied in Australia for awhile).

Hi HonneybunnyZ!

Well first off, i want to congratulate you for having a wonderful son. at an early age he shows courage, wit, maturity and valor! then re the bullying, i am not shocked. these days it is no surprising what kids can do. but i guess even if your son doesn't mind them, you have to be mindful enough because bullying is at its FIrst and a serious problem, indeed!

GOOD LUCK!

Sarah

HoneybunnyZ

Hi Sarah,

thanks for your reply.
I didn't see it as bullying until I read some articles and your comment.
I guess I am also like that when I was young, I was "prank" on a lot in school and actually told
teacher when she asked "I don't really get angry or mind it much."

I guess I better for such behaviours from his class mates. I did tell him to just let me know in future.
And I did tell him to be fair, I do not know whose fault it is but it was certainly not a nice thing to say to people.
I am in school often and do notice some parents are not very friendly.

Hai...it is a bit strange. Sometimes I find it hard to even smile or start a conversation with Singaporean parents
because (not all) but some especially the ones that are well, more well-off (his school in serangoon gardens) are
kinda always very cold. lolz. I thought kids would make people friendlier...hai.

Nali54

Wow Honeybunny,
your son 佷懂事 for such a young boy! Hai..understand what you meant by those parents...i ganna too. Never mind, we just smile and be friendly!

HoneybunnyZ

Yah...he does show a sense of emotional maturity or sensitivity at times.
But kids being kids...he can really exasperate me sometimes.
Especially nap times..boy...can be a real pain....!
I do hope the teacher will take note of student behaviors.
Previous teacher I do see kids playing together during learning corners.
Now I see some kids and him doing their own things. Hope next year will be better.

Its really quite strange because he is rather sociable and will approach kids outside whom
he don't even know to play with...but now I am trying to teach him some social rules.
There are times the parents don't like such a bold approach...so I told him to ask the auntie or
uncle first if he can play with the girl or boy.
I ever met parents whom refuse to answer him...gosh...then he asked me "Why auntie never respond?"
I just had to say that goes to show you better now play or talk to the kid. lolz.

lyra

As a child, I experienced this bullying before. Not very serious and all the kids tend to forget about it very fast. I don't really know why the other kids ostracized me... Hmmm. It's a mystery until now. And teachers... They do bully the kids too. I saw some teachers do that. I might be young n couldn't express very well but I saw n remembered.

I was in a happy kindergarten environment until my parents moved home n changed my school. I guess we have to trust the kids' feedback n let them stay at a place where they feel happier. I had good friends in my previous kindergarten while at the new one, most kids r not friendly. Some mothers too r bitchy. One complained my sister copied her daughters work but she's just jealous coz my sister gets better marks than her daughter for spellings. That's really long ago... Hopefully I can find a gd sch environment for my son. Such things have deep impact on a child. I can rmb it even though it was so long ago.