Do u scold / spank or punish your kid in the public??

chupa

My gal is about 13 mths now. So she likes to hold onto something and try to stand up, especially when she is sitting on her high chair. If she is at home and she is trying to stand on her high chair, i will spank her with my hand and tell her no no and this is dangerous and of course she will cry.

When we are outside eating out meals, we put her on high chair as well and there she start, trying to stand up. I did not spank her cos i scare that she will create a scene lar :embarrassed:, i just carry her and try to get her to sit down, sometimes she will arch her back refusing to sit. So what should i do? Is it advisable to punish her in the public?

:Dancing_sad:

ireneliau

my gal going 18mth sooon.. she also can't sit too long in baby chair so no choice got to carry her away or distract her.. if she make a scene then got to get her away first.. they are too young to get punish.. punish they also won't know wat is correct.. remind and advise them a few time then sooner they will know..

my boy is 2yrs+ nw...

in e public, i will try not to spank him but try to talk nicely to him lo...i tink is quite a unpleasant scene lo...

but sm xs, he will get to our nerves! He oso cnt sit still in mrt dan will walked about...i wiil carried him & give him a hard stared! if not, will raised my voice to him!
haiz.....

chupa

sigh...at this age, i know that sometimes she might not be able to understand what u are trying to say but sometimes really do not know what to do when she just want to do the things her own way....really want to pull my hair out....:we2arghh:

vion

Yes. If telling nicely n warnings don't work. I dun c y we shld refrain from disciplining our kids when we r in public n when they r doing the wrong ting. Thou not wanna sit in a high chair for long isn't really something very wrong.

But den again, it's individual's disciplinary methods n the age of the kids tt varies oso la.

Friend

I will bring him away from the high chair to a corner to tell him what he is doing is not appropriate. It is best to remind them that instant rather than after. They have short memory.

I will repeat this action till he can sit for a few more rounds if I have the time, if not, I will take away his food.

Sorry...got to be tough even though I very heart pain to do this.

liangmum

hi
My ds veri mischievous..we often try 'soft' first like give him things tat he like/ talk nicely if he still don't behave, use 'hard' like scold him or spank him till he realise he shldn't behave tis way.

jedamum

what is your definition of naughty? bearing in mind that some behaviour that we deem as naughty is actually the kid's way of exploring things around them and learning to control their emotions.
my 15mth old throw tantrums too. if we can give what he wants, we give. If we can't, we do distractions (which works very well when we are outside). If that fails, we let him lie on the floor (mostly at home) until he is done with his tantrum.
don't feel that that is being naughty leh...

as for not wanting to sit in the highchair or trying to climb out, i usually have a bag of toys to entertain him..when that fails, either dh or i will bring him for a stroll. this type of things, scold also no use cos the kid is bored.

for my elder boy (K2), a 'quiet' scolding or an angry glare will do the job, cos he is the sensitive and sensible type.

rjj

so nice to have a sensitive child...

it's true though.... we may find them 'naughty' but they are just bored.... not all kids can sit through-out dinner.... it's good to have 1....

all my boys cannot.... a bag of toys or adults taking turn to entertain them is a better choice then to spank or scold, esp if they are only 2 or 3 yrs old.... scold oso they may not understand .... when they get older, they will be able to understand de la... this is part of parenthood :)

babypris86

my DS is very active also... last time i used to spank him in public or scold him cuz he quite irritates me... but now he he quite well behave le... i just stare @ him and he guai guai sit down or wont make a fuss...

chupa

ya...sometimes when i cool down and think about it..she is still so young and not able to speak what she wants...definitely she will be fustrated and throw temper...if it happens on me, when i could not express what i want, i will feel fustrated as well...

I will scold when my son is super active & naughty.
esp when he's excited, he'll start moving!
there was once I lost my cool & shouted at him to SIT DOWN!
& almost everyone in the restaurant turned & look at us.

there'll be times I get super mad, I will just bring him to the toilet, scold him & tell him the reason why I m angry!
I don't see the point of waiting til we get home then scold & smack.
he probably don't even remember liao!

damianli

My son is 1year +. He can't sit still also.
In mrt, bus, taxi etc.. He will make a sin!! cry, shout scream etc... U name it he do it.
I've tried all sorts of method. In public transport i will bring a bag of diff toys. once he is tired of each toy he will throw it on the floor & i was lk his maid. Picking up his toys & looking for new one to give him.

I was always damn angry bt in public i dun wana yell like a crazy woman (maid). Ahbo he will be climbing up from his pram backward. Which means if i didn't hold him down or faster carry him his head will land on the floor together with the pram... & he fell before with a DA Bao on his forehead..

I duno wat to do either. Everytime i was in a happu mood tinking hb finally off on wkend can hav a nice family outing. End up my son always make me screaming lk hell.

EnFlor

No, i don't scold or spank my 3 kids when they don't behave according to my expectations when in public. By scolding/spanking or getting really mad at them will make others think that my children are in control of the situation.

So normally, what i will do is to
- stare at them, (they will get the msg that i am not happy)
- if we are walking and they misbehave, i will simply stop walking and look at them,
-if the youngest cries continuously, i'll just walk away (better walk away or else when i 'explode' it can be pretty ugly :tlaugh:She will keep quiet eventually....just a matter of time lah! )
- to the older kids, will talk to them in a firm tone (literally eye to eye) but i'll utter in just a few words. Eg: When i talk, u listen/ One more nonsense, we'll go back. I can't be bothered to give them lengthy nagging in public coz they get distracted outside.

IJmum

For me, spanking in public? No. Scolding in public? Yes, but quietly.

What I usually do if my boy misbehaves in public, is to bring him to one side, squat down and look at him in the eye, and tell him firmly to behave himself.

If that doesn't work, we will try to distract him with things like toys, food etc...

Feel that it is very unpleasant to lose yr cool in public leh.

But at home, we scold and cane. :001_302:

Ting

i will always just tell her NO firmly.
n if she touches things tt she shldnt touch i wud smack her hand to tell her.
she has damn itchy fingers!

joycek

Usually when I'm alone shoppin w my two yr old gal,she will behave quite ok .But if we r out w daddy,she will turn into a little monster.What to do?!Scold also no use,Daddy always give in to her.:wong14:Sometimes really vomite blood!:wong7:

priscilla

I usually bring my boy to the washroom and he knew it once that happened. And most of the time, I just have to mention that I am bringing him there, he straight away will behave no matter in the restaurant or shopping mall. As I will punish him there after explaining to him what is not acceptable without even need to yell at him.