Do u train ur babies to sleep thru the night?

angelwendy

Wanna ask all the mummies here.. do u train ur babies to sleep thru the night without waking up to feed them? actually i saw in baby centre .com about some ways to train their babies to sleep thru the night... but do u guys do it? & how u do it? because my boy is now coming 8 months old.. but still wake up quite often for feed...

Another question is : will babies stop by themself for waking up in the middle of the night?

apollo

ash slowly cut the the frequency for night feeds. at 3mth old, his last feed was at ard 11pm oe 12am and all the way till 6-7am, consider slp thru the night. aft tt slowly become 10.30 last feed and next morning 6-7am 1st feed. i didnt really 'train' him, he auto drag the interval. only sometimes when he woke up crying (ard 2-3mth old), i dun give milk 1st, just stuff the pacifier to him. sometimes he will just slp bk aft taking pacifier. but if he was really hungry, he will still cry aft the pacifier being stuffed into his mouth and tt was when i will go and make some milk for him =)

ash slowly cut the the frequency for night feeds. at 3mth old, his last feed was at around 11pm oe 12am and all the way till 6-7am, consider sleep thru the night. after that slowly become 10.30 last feed and next morning 6-7am 1st feed. i didnt really 'train' him, he auto drag the interval. only sometimes when he woke up crying (around 2-3mth old), i dont give milk 1st, just stuff the pacifier to him. sometimes he will just sleep back after taking pacifier. but if he was really hungry, he will still cry after the pacifier being stuffed into his mouth and that was when i will go and make some milk for him =)
I'm doing exactly the same as u! ^_^ From his 3rd mth, my boy can sleeps thru the night for 8hrs den wake up for milk, or wake up play by himself until hungry den 'call' for milk.

christie06

my girl is turing 5 mos she usually wakes up around 1:30am to feed but right after feeding she sleeps again...then wakes up at around 6am to feed again

apollo

I'm doing exactly the same as you! ^_^ From his 3rd month, my boy can sleeps thru the night for 8hrs then wake up for milk, or wake up play by himself until hungry then 'call' for milk.
sometimes in the middle of night (when he was lik few mths old, still cant crawl), he will wake up and play on his own, we just pretend to slp, and he will play until slp too. :tlaugh:

angelwendy

Wah.. all of u so good... :embarrassed: mine even i stuff pacifier he also same.. until i give him milk then he sleep back... =.=" & i give him 11 plus last feed before bed.. but he still wake up 2am , 3.30am, 5am... then sometime 6 plus or 7 plus.. he will wake up about 7 plus to 8am.. Yawn....

apollo

Wah.. all of you so good... :embarrassed: mine even i stuff pacifier he also same.. until i give him milk then he sleep back... =.=" & i give him 11 plus last feed before bed.. but he still wake up 2am , 3.30am, 5am... then sometime 6 plus or 7 plus.. he will wake up about 7 plus to 8am.. Yawn....
wow! he wake up 3x per night?? hw much is he drinking for his last feed? mayb u can try to increase abit? does he cry for milk or he just wake up and stare at u? if he didnt fuss or cry, just let him be.. as long as u keep him in his playpen/cot..

angelwendy

wow! he wake up 3x per night?? hw much is he drinking for his last feed? mayb you can try to increase abit? does he cry for milk or he just wake up and stare at you? if he didnt fuss or cry, just let him be.. as long as you keep him in his playpen/cot..

His last feed is normally 120ml.. because he is a small eater... i got try to make 150ml.. but he cannot finish.. then went to sleep... he will cry even i put pacifier on his mouth.. & even wan me to pat him for about 20 ~30 mins.. Zzz... i cannot let him be.. because when i do nothing.. he will cry & fuss...

His last feed is normally 120ml.. because he is a small eater... i got try to make 150ml.. but he cannot finish.. then went to sleep... he will cry even i put pacifier on his mouth.. & even want me to pat him for about 20 ~30 mins.. Zzz... i cannot let him be.. because when i do nothing.. he will cry & fuss...
120ml only!! My boy is 4mths old, but he's taking 180ml for every 4-5hrs...N i'm ready to increase to 210ml these few day...

Try to increase the volume & let him get use to it...especially the last feed b4 sleep... :)

Phyllis15

My boy is coming to 5 months old, drinking 170ml at around 10pm....then wakes up around 2 - 3am for 150ml & 6.30am for another 150ml and sleep until 8 plus. I guess its pretty normal for them to wake up more if they take in lesser amount of milk. So got to keep our fingers crossed and hope that they will outgrow this stage soon... so that we dear mummies can get our beauty sleep back...

dflora

Hi Angelwendy,

I dont mean to scare you... but my elder son has the same issue too. Now he's already 18 mths and still wakes up for milk 2 times in the wee hours... I think it may be because our babies are small but frequent drinkers...

Luckily my #2 can sleep thru most nights without feeding.

His last feed is normally 120ml.. because he is a small eater... i got try to make 150ml.. but he cannot finish.. then went to sleep... he will cry even i put pacifier on his mouth.. & even want me to pat him for about 20 ~30 mins.. Zzz... i cannot let him be.. because when i do nothing.. he will cry & fuss...
Oh yah...try not to let him sleep too much in the daytime too...

Delynna

Wah.. all of you so good... :embarrassed: mine even i stuff pacifier he also same.. until i give him milk then he sleep back... =.=" & i give him 11 plus last feed before bed.. but he still wake up 2am , 3.30am, 5am... then sometime 6 plus or 7 plus.. he will wake up about 7 plus to 8am.. Yawn....
Not fed enough? Normally if bb is full,they shd b able to drag for 3 - 4 hrs..

angelwendy

Actually when he is 3 months old... due to growth spur.. his intake goes up to 160ml~180ml... then when he is 6 months old.. he drop till 90ml.. & pick up again now to 120ml~150ml... I given him 2 solid in the afternoon & evening.. then the others is all milk... a frenz was suggesting.. maybe Benson don't like the brand of milk he is taking now.. that y drink so little... ( is it possible? ) I was thinking if that the case.. i can try other brand? maybe he will drink more then not so often wake up for feed?

In the day.. normally he have 3 small nap.. only abt 1 ~ 2 hours... if i don't let him sleep.. he will get cranky & fuss... i got try bring him out so that he will get tired.. but still.. he wakes up a few time during the middle of the night.. :embarrassed:

bdaygrl

hi angelwendy,

my baby used to wake up several times in the night for milk at that age, but would only drink a little each time, soon she rejected milk altogether (think she doesn't like the taste anymore). i figured that she might have been hungry but was not waking up for milk.
so i upped her solid intake in the daytime and she ate a lot - 3 meals plus 2 snacks. Last meal at 7pm and first meal of the day at 7am. Up to now at 12 months she doesn't drink any milk, eats a lot of food (calcium-rich food) and even when she wakes at night it's for reasons other than hunger.
maybe you can try and give your baby more solids more frequently in the day. at least you'll know your baby is less likely to be waking from hunger at night.

babymiki2003

my boy is already 13.5 mths and will still wake up to drink milk in the middle of the night. i tried; pacifier, ignoring him, feeding him water. all these only resulted in him screaming more loudly in the middle of the night.

not only he wakes up for milk, every 2-3 hours...every night... he will cry looking for his pacifier..

yes, it has been like this for the past 6 mths..

prior to 6 mths...he wakes up every 2-3 hours for feeds at night

Ashbaby

DS sleep thru the night at 2 months old. PD advise that baby who drink more frequently during the day sleep thru the night better. I read from the net that baby who sleep well in the day time sleep better at night.

angelwendy

hi angelwendy,

my baby used to wake up several times in the night for milk at that age, but would only drink a little each time, soon she rejected milk altogether (think she doesn't like the taste anymore). i figured that she might have been hungry but was not waking up for milk.
so i upped her solid intake in the daytime and she ate a lot - 3 meals plus 2 snacks. Last meal at 7pm and first meal of the day at 7am. Up to now at 12 months she doesn't drink any milk, eats a lot of food (calcium-rich food) and even when she wakes at night it's for reasons other than hunger.
maybe you can try and give your baby more solids more frequently in the day. at least you'll know your baby is less likely to be waking from hunger at night.

Hi.. i intend to give him more solid.. as in more meals.. normally i give 2... maybe i will give 3 & try... hopefully it helps... but now does ur baby still wake up often at night?

angelwendy

dear son sleep thru the night at 2 months old. pediatrician advise that baby who drink more frequently during the day sleep thru the night better. I read from the net that baby who sleep well in the day time sleep better at night.

actually in the day.. he drink about every 2.5 ~ 3 hours also... i think that is consider frequent... but maybe u r right... he don't really sleep well in the afternoon... & at night as well... maybe he is a light sleeper... i always keep as quiet as possible when he is asleep.. a little bit of noise he will start waking up & cry... :embarrassed:

Mummy to Baby V

My boy's also a very fussy light sleeper.

He was breastfed directly and fussed up to 10 times a night to suckle for milk and for comfort.

For light-sleeper, have white noise playing while he sleeps / naps. E.g. loop rainfall CD track, a noisy fan or humidifier. This covers sudden noises and lets baby sleep better.

For last feed, does baby drink milk until he falls asleep?
If so, he could be associating drinking milk with sleeping.
So during every sleep cycle change at night (1-2 hours), he'd want to drink milk before sleeping again.
To break the association, have to let baby learn to fall asleep without drinking milk. E.g. Feed, then change, then pat to sleep.

Of course, some babies like my boy take a long time to learn this.
He started sleeping better at 14 months old, sleeping through whole night without feed at 18 months old.

I learnt many tips from these 2 books:
Book Review: The No-Cry Nap Solution by Elizabeth Pantley | Mummy's Reviews
Book Review: The No-Cry Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantley | Mummy's Reviews